LF a cooler for 3900XT

Cyneptic

hey guys, im getting a 3900XT and im looking for a cooler that can give me the most performance out of 3900XT but not be unnecessarily expensive. (aside from XMP i will not overclock)

I have no need for RGB as I dont really showcase my build.

Arctic, EKB, and thermal grizzly paste are not available for me

I would also love to have your opinions on Silverstone PF240, Coolermaster ML240 and deepcool gammaxx L240 v2

Also would liquid be better or air, I heard these cases o liquid performing equal or even worse than air while having more points of failure?

air coolers are also an option if you think thats the best.

thank you

If you can get the Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 or 360 then those perform really good for the price and are also reasonably quiet when compared to other AIOs. 

They lack RGB though :D

If you're not overclocking pretty much any half-decent cooler will work for you.

I would go with a Noctua NH-D15 or BeQuiet Dark Rpck Pro 4 for Air cooling.

If you want an AiO, the Arctic Liquid Freezer II series is a chart topping performer for a reasonable price.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

9 minutes ago, WereCat said:

If you can get the Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 or 360 then those perform really good for the price and are also reasonably quiet when compared to other AIOs. 

They lack RGB though :D

i did say arctic is not available for me, unfortunately :( thanks for your reponse.

2 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

If you're not overclocking pretty much any half-decent cooler will work for you.

I would go with a Noctua NH-D15 or BeQuiet Dark Rpck Pro 4 for Air cooling.

If you want an AiO, the Arctic Liquid Freezer II series is a chart topping performer for a reasonable price.

I thought of NH-d15 but, there was a couple of reviews talking about how such a bulky air tower might sometimes bend or even break the mobo. thats what kind scares me from going for a bulky air cooler, I would be able to replace cooler but the entire board and cpu... that'll be tough

1 minute ago, Cyneptic said:

I thought of NH-d15 but, there was a couple of reviews talking about how such a bulky air tower might sometimes bend or even break the mobo. thats what kind scares me from going for a bulky air cooler, I would be able to replace cooler but the entire board and cpu... that'll be tough

Never heard of a heavy heatsink bending and breaking a mobo. Maybe if you only screw the mobo in with 2 or 3 screws. I ran both the Dark Rock Pro 4 and the D15 in the past and never saw any "bending" on my mobo.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

13 minutes ago, Cyneptic said:

ive heard of this but never seen any actual evidence, as long as youre not flinging your pc across the room it should be fine. the d15/d15s are kickass and i 100% recommend them. the drp4 is also good, cooled my buddy's 3950x comfortably and quietly. if youre set on an aio the evga clc is good, though the stock fans are loud. i wouldnt skimp on an aio purchase as it has the potential to break all your shit, just like skimping on a psu. seems like lots of people get away with it but i would not recommend it.

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

2 minutes ago, VeganJoy said:

ive heard of this but never seen any actual evidence, as long as youre not flinging your pc across the room it should be fine. the d15/d15s are kickass and i 100% recommend them. the drp4 is also good, cooled my buddy's 3950x comfortably and quietly. if youre set on an aio the evga clc is good, though the stock fans are loud. i wouldnt skimp on an aio purchase as it has the potential to break all your shit, just like skimping on a psu. seems like lots of people get away with it but i would not recommend it.

thank you for your response,

what do you mean about the psu, anything I should lookout for?

I was aiming to get a 750 gold coolermaster.

Just now, Cyneptic said:

thank you for your response,

what do you mean about the psu, anything I should lookout for?

I was aiming to get a 750 gold coolermaster.

cooler master's products are generally suboptimal, but their support is downright abysmal. theyve used covid as an excuse for even shittier service than usual and it shows. what gpu are you powering?

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

26 minutes ago, Cyneptic said:

i did say arctic is not available for me, unfortunately :( thanks for your reponse.

I understood that their paste is not available... :D

Just now, WereCat said:

I understood that their paste is not available... :D

ah i see my bad, i meant arctic and ekb coolers and thermal grizzly paste is not available.

3 minutes ago, VeganJoy said:

cooler master's products are generally suboptimal, but their support is downright abysmal. theyve used covid as an excuse for even shittier service than usual and it shows. what gpu are you powering?

msi 980 ti , but I'm planning to get either a 3070 or a 3080 a couple of months later, so my psu should be able to support that aswell

mobo is probably going to be x570 auros elite and 3900XT cpu (though i am a bit torn between really going for ryzen or not since I was always an intel user)

1 hour ago, Cyneptic said:

msi 980 ti , but I'm planning to get either a 3070 or a 3080 a couple of months later, so my psu should be able to support that aswell

mobo is probably going to be x570 auros elite and 3900XT cpu (though i am a bit torn between really going for ryzen or not since I was always an intel user)

980 ti gang rise up :D

650-750w would be more than enough. ampere is reported to be tripping a lot of psus of adequate wattage due to extremely high transients so id wait on a psu purchase until thats sorted out.

topics i need help on:

Spoiler