Can you tell me how to fix my laptop? Google has failed.

Ndog-ray

Hi,

I have a Toshiba Tecra M11-11L laptop. It was working fine last night but this morning it won't boot up. I haven't dropped it/spilt anything on it or moved it off my desk.  When I try and boot it goes to the Toshiba logo (which ironically says leading innovation underneath it) and then a black screen. I've tried pressing 0 when it boots which apparently factory resets it and I have tried restarting it 3 times to go to safe mode but I can't get there. I can get to the BIOS which I've reset to defaults but its made no difference. 

I've also tried all the obvious stuff - restarts, battery out, leaving it alone for hours, different power sockets etc etc.  

Does anyone have any ideas? I use one drive so there's no data on it. I don't have access to another computer either so I'm currently trying to work off my phone. 

Thanks for any suggestions

11 minutes ago, Ndog-ray said:

Hi,

I have a Toshiba Tecra M11-11L laptop. It was working fine last night but this morning it won't boot up. I haven't dropped it/spilt anything on it or moved it off my desk.  When I try and boot it goes to the Toshiba logo (which ironically says leading innovation underneath it) and then a black screen. I've tried pressing 0 when it boots which apparently factory resets it and I have tried restarting it 3 times to go to safe mode but I can't get there. I can get to the BIOS which I've reset to defaults but its made no difference. 

I've also tried all the obvious stuff - restarts, battery out, leaving it alone for hours, different power sockets etc etc.  

Does anyone have any ideas? I use one drive so there's no data on it. I don't have access to another computer either so I'm currently trying to work off my phone. 

Thanks for any suggestions

Do you have a HDD or SSD, Thats where the OS is installed, check with those.

21 minutes ago, knockless said:

Do you have a HDD or SSD, Thats where the OS is installed, check with those.

I have a HDD

32 minutes ago, Ndog-ray said:

I have a HDD

Ok, that has moving parts, So it's easier to kill it than a SSD.

Try going into boot options in BIOS and booting from any OS bootable.

It's very easy to make one. 

2 hours ago, Ndog-ray said:

I can get to the BIOS

Does it recognize your hard drive? If not it could have died. The easy way to test is you use a Live CD version of Linux and see if your drive is detected. If not, then its most likely dead. This is a great opportunity to upgrade to an SSD. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.