SATA to USB with power from PSU

T_Hastings
Go to solution Solved by mahyar,
10 minutes ago, T_Hastings said:

My problem is that I can't find cables that would let me power the drives from the PSU while connecting them to a USB port. Everything I saw connects to both the SATA and the power port of the HDD's, and that would require additional power adapters, rendering the whole idea of repurposing the case and PSU impractical. So is this just a design-thing, or the drives need to get their connections from the same source?

no they dont you can use a normal sata cable to bridge from adaptor to hdd and not directly conecting it adaptor

I'm planning to build a very cost-efficient NAS around a mini-ITX motherboard using a case and an 430W PSU I have laying around. The motherboard I'm looking at is very cheap, but provides only 2 SATA ports. Since the PSU has no problem handling additional 2-3 HDD's, I was wondering if I could use the USB ports on the motherboard for hard drives mounted inside the case. I am aware of the limitations in transfer speeds, but the aim of the project is long-term archiving, so I'm completely okay even with USB 2.0 speeds.

My problem is that I can't find cables that would let me power the drives from the PSU while connecting them to a USB port. Everything I saw connects to both the SATA and the power port of the HDD's, and that would require additional power adapters, rendering the whole idea of repurposing the case and PSU impractical. So is this just a design-thing, or the drives need to get their connections from the same source?

I'm looking forward to your answers both regarding the tech behind this, and possible solutions for the problem.

Cheers!

Edit: I am planning to use 3.5" drives, so using only USB power is not really an option.

10 minutes ago, T_Hastings said:

no they dont you can use a normal sata cable to bridge from adaptor to hdd and not directly conecting it adaptor

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

I'd suggest buying a cheap pci-e x1 sata controller card, that should give you 2 extra sata ports. 

Alternatively, if the ITX motherboard has a m.2 connector, you can buy m.2 cards that convert it to a pci-e x1 riser cable ... to plug a pci-e x1 card (a sata controller for example)

example card : https://www.ebay.com/itm/NGFF-M2-to-PCI-e-4x-Slot-Riser-Card-M-Key-M-2-Port-to-PCI-Express-Adapter/274485786798?

or  https://www.ebay.com/itm/NGFF-M2-to-PCI-e-4X-1X-Slot-Riser-Card-M-Key-SSD-Port-to-PCIE-Adapter-for-Mining/254730098594

The power cable is needed to insert 12v into the pci-e slot, because the m.2 connector only gives 3.3v 

You can get riser cables to position the sata controller card somewhere more convenient inside the case : https://www.ebay.com/itm/PCI-E-1X-4X-8X-16X-PCI-Professional-Riser-Card-Ribbon-Extender-Flexible-Cable/183283708713

example of cheap and small sata controller cards, from 2 to 8 sata ports (18 australian dollars to $49 ausd) : https://www.ebay.com/itm/PCIe-to-SATA3-0-4Port-6Port-8Port-SATA-III-Expansion-Controller-Adapter-Card-6GB/163895437034

You can put it on a thick carboard or plastic backing so it won't short and hide it somewhere in the case, if there's no room on the back of the case.

7 minutes ago, mariushm said:

I'd suggest buying a cheap pci-e x1 sata controller card, that should give you 2 extra sata ports. 

That's a great idea, I will look into that as well! Thanks! :)