*Grumpy cat face* "The Future of Gaming" sucks.

So, this is an age-old topic, by now, and I'm sure everyone has encountered this by now, but this is kind of my first experience with it.

So, I've got a wishlist on Steam. I decided to grab a game on sale, maybe a second as well, so I jumped on to see if anything was on sale. Okay, that's a lie, I already knew what was on sale, since Steam sent me an email telling me that DiRT Rally 2.0 was on sale. So, I watch a review on the game, and noticed that there's DLC with basic game features, like Snow Rally Stages. So, no big deal, I'll jump on steam and buy the game plus the season pass, or whatever, and that'll be fine. So I go to the DiRT Rally 2.0 page, scroll down, and select the Year Pass (foreboding? Yes.), add to cart, and... This is when I realize that the base game is $40 off sale, and the Year Pass bundle thing is $60. And the Year Pass does not include the base game. So it's a $100 game. I'm willing to drop $100 on something like Flight Simulator, where it is literally worth that kind of money, but DiRT Rally 2.0? That's not worth $60, much less $100.

So, now I'm thinking that I'll just pass on this game, and drop it off my Wishlist. I mean, it's on sale right now for $25ish, game plus DLC, but still... It's the principle of the thing, I guess? Maybe I'll just stick to games that don't have ridiculous pricing schemes. >_> I mean, up until not too long ago, I was just pirating most of my games, I guess I could go back to that.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

A Proper Rally Enthusiast might do the opposite...... VS FlightSimulator
Diff Strokes for Diff Folks.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

1 hour ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

A Proper Rally Enthusiast might do the opposite...... VS FlightSimulator
Diff Strokes for Diff Folks.

It's not about the type of game, but the development that went into them. DiRT Rally 2.0 is basically just based off DiRT Rally, where they just lopped off features and asked people to pay for them as DLC. MSFS, on the other hand, is more or less a fresh entity. That, and it requires real world data, and it has more behind the scenes stuff, justifies it to me as costing $100 for the premium version. Plus, they were talking about some free DLC later for it.

I guess, more or less, I'm bitching about a game being split up into DLC's to bump the price up, and then the developer not even bothering to bundle the actual game with the DLC's in a single package. DiRT Rally 2.0 is actually one of 3 games I was looking at, and all 3 of them had the same stupid BS with the DLC's. I'm willing to spend the money on a game if it's worth it, but to make entire regions into DLC and then charge money for them, especially when they were included with the previous version of the game, is a bit insulting.

Active CM forum member/fan/DR2 beta tester here.

2 hours ago, Sarra said:

DiRT Rally 2.0 is basically just based off DiRT Rally, where they just lopped off features and asked people to pay for them as DLC.

Not really. They did an upgrade (though still using their ancient EGO engine) for visual fidelity improvements along with entirely new stages and completely reworked physics.

What they are doing is reselling the remade DR1 stages, again with visual improvements and physics changes. Though I will say I didn't buy into it. And they gave me the game free as a gift for beta testing. I consider it a trade-off for buying D4.

I also wouldn't say that a snow stage is a "basic feature." Wheel and controller support is a basic feature.

Though the pricing scheme and all is dumb and it's spoken and complained about on the forums too. I don't ever bother with DLC. At best I'll just not buy the game for a year and wait for the inevitable GOTY version with the DLC included.

#Muricaparrotgang

2 hours ago, JZStudios said:

Active CM forum member/fan/DR2 beta tester here.

Not really. They did an upgrade (though still using their ancient EGO engine) for visual fidelity improvements along with entirely new stages and completely reworked physics.

What they are doing is reselling the remade DR1 stages, again with visual improvements and physics changes. Though I will say I didn't buy into it. And they gave me the game free as a gift for beta testing. I consider it a trade-off for buying D4.

I also wouldn't say that a snow stage is a "basic feature." Wheel and controller support is a basic feature.

Though the pricing scheme and all is dumb and it's spoken and complained about on the forums too. I don't ever bother with DLC. At best I'll just not buy the game for a year and wait for the inevitable GOTY version with the DLC included.

Well, I would consider snow stages as basic, since they're included with DiRT Rally. Though, yeah, I do understand the point. Either way, I don't like paying more, for less, then having to pay more to get the experience I was expecting to begin with.

On 9/27/2020 at 5:11 PM, Sarra said:

Well, I would consider snow stages as basic, since they're included with DiRT Rally. Though, yeah, I do understand the point. Either way, I don't like paying more, for less, then having to pay more to get the experience I was expecting to begin with.

It's a different game. DR1 also had Pikes Peak which isn't present in DR2.

You aren't paying more for less. The base content of DR2 has more than the first, and it's all new. You're paying more to get the previous game basically. The only new DLC is Scotland. If you already own DR, there's not a lot of reason to buy the DLC, you can just play that. I mean, the physics are different and the stages are reworked, but I'm willing to bet they're similar enough. If you don't have the first game, then it's not a big deal.

Don't get me wrong, it would be nice if all the previous content was included or a free update. I certainly won't be so understanding with the next game. The fact in this case however is that after DR1 the engine underwent some modifications, primarily a new emphasis on a PBR rendering pipeline which meant the tracks had to be redone. Now they've done that, so there's less excuse for the next game.

#Muricaparrotgang