Connect to PC in Another Part of House

jtk700cln

Hey folks, 

Kind of a noob question.  I have a vfx workstation that I am building.  It is VERY large (enthoo elite).  Due to space constraints I am seriously considering just putting the tower in another room.   

Anybody ever done something like this--as in the computer in one room and displays elsewhere?  Only options I can think of are something like a zero client, or really long extensions cables.  

We have used zero clients at work without issue, and they can handle up to three hdmi or displayport displays, but I am having trouble understanding how they are configured---tutorials are mostly nonexistent, and the ones that are explain that you need to have things like an extra computer to run as a server, which just seems like another level of overkill to this whole escapade.  

My other alternative is really long cables.  I am running a 50 foot ethernet already so I have the holes in the flooring necessary, but then Id need to run audio, and three fairly long cables to md monitors and a cintiq.  

Any tips here--besides getting a smaller tower?  Lol--case is already in building and ive decided im using it regardless.   

Sorry if this seems ridiculous, but suggestions would genuinely be appreciated.  

Thanks!!!!!

13 minutes ago, jtk700cln said:

Any tips here

i currently put my PC in my other room and pull individual wires in

from my experience, dont use cheapo cables

i've had signal stability issue when using cheap 5M DP to drive my 1080p240 monitor

switched to a thicker cable and it works fine

my 2nd monitor runs on a 10meter thick HDMI cable at 1080p60, works flawlessly

i use USB 2.0 extension for my USB 3.0 7+2 powered hub (powered is a must), connect everything you need there.

you need an active extension if you're going 50 feet, and get 3.0 extension if you need the bandwidth.

as for audio, you can use USB sound cards, or monitor as passthrough. I'm using a 10m extension for it, but it's not recommended.

other than that, maybe you can consider thunderbolt, see if it's more budget friendly and if you current system can support it.

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

8 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

i currently put my PC in my other room and pull individual wires in

from my experience, dont use cheapo cables

i've had signal stability issue when using cheap 5M DP to drive my 1080p240 monitor

switched to a thicker cable and it works fine

my 2nd monitor runs on a 10meter thick HDMI cable at 1080p60, works flawlessly

i use USB 2.0 extension for my USB 3.0 7+2 powered hub (powered is a must), connect everything you need there.

you need an active extension if you're going 50 feet, and get 3.0 extension if you need the bandwidth.

as for audio, you can use USB sound cards, or monitor as passthrough. I'm using a 10m extension for it, but it's not recommended.

other than that, maybe you can consider thunderbolt, see if it's more budget friendly and if you current system can support it.

Hugely helpful--thank you!

So something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087G9LP3Y/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B087G9LP3Y&pd_rd_w=00Gs2&pf_rd_p=7d37a48b-2b1a-4373-8c1a-bdcc5da66be9&pd_rd_wg=ETFuL&pf_rd_r=BA4ZSGTABRAC9T2PPC35&pd_rd_r=13f020f2-5cca-4d14-bb6e-0d5e26bf110f&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExTzZSWk44NkdGRFQwJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMzM3ODY4M05NR0dRUTRWSTUxVSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMjc0MjkzRkdGNUpNOU9ISzhNJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfZGV0YWlsJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==#customerReviews

Combined with this?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MFW93B4/ref=sspa_dk_detail_4?spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExSlJPUUVXSVdZWjhZJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjQyMTA3MzZVRzA0VzJFTjNFJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAwMjYyOTEyNDRVQU01UUhERllNJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfZGV0YWlsMiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

2 minutes ago, jtk700cln said:

So something like this:

that looks like a thunderbolt dock to me, im not using that, im simply using this

https://www.tp-link.com/my/home-networking/computer-accessory/uh720/

3 minutes ago, jtk700cln said:

Combined with this?

that hub i linked, paired with this should work, assuming the cable actually can transmit usb 3.0 bandwidth.

1 minute ago, Blue4130 said:

10 meter thick? Now that is some beefy cable. 😋

if the diameter was 10m, i wouldnt call it thick

i would call it thicc

but yea im missing a comma