What is needed for an XLR setup?

Aleksa Djordjic

Hi,

Audio newbie here,

I know nothing about this stuff other than some quick google searches but I'm interested to learn.

First off, let me clarify what I mean by the "XLR Setup", it includes everything between an XLR Microphone and a PC with digital input, what goes in between them.

To start off, here is what I know:

• XLR Microphones need power delivered to them to work properly, for that an AMP is needed with "Phantom Power" that will supply it with the required power.
  • To connect any actual XLR device, an analog to digital converter is needed, which is typically a mixer which, in itself, would have a AMP built into it... preferably

Now, I wasn't able to find much more info about this stuff, or at least keeping it with tech that is affordable for a normal consumer and not some studio
It can't be as simple as that, a mic to a mixer and just going to a PC USB, can it?

There must be some hidden caveats that I don't know about, or components that would make the audio quality better that I'm not aware of

Note, I know what XLR is... kinda... What I don't know is what does it take to connect an XLR device to a normal PC, and to have reasonable audio quality

What is every possible thing (or most) that can be used between an XLR Mic and a PC, what are their purposes and how much do they bring to the table compared to their prices?

What would be an affordable setup (excluding a microphone) to about $100-$150 tops?

I'm planing on upgrading my current basic microphone audio setup

Currently I have a normal mic with a 3.5mm jack, and that is about it.
I'm using a program called VoiceMeeter Potato to do all the virtual mixer audio magic but it has its problems,

so I'm looking to move to a XLR Microphone to hopefully improve on the quality of the current one which has a lot of static and noise and actually picks up quite a bit of electrical noise from the adapters I got on the back of my PC.

My idea is to have something isolated, all analog stuff is on its isolated "section" and then just gets converted to digital and then connected to the PC.

I don't have much else to write, I hope this is enough to spark a quick discussion about this and get some recommendations in, hopefully also help me learn a bit more about this stuff.

Thank you to everyone that reads and/or replies!

4 minutes ago, Aleksa Djordjic said:

XLR Microphones need power delivered to them to work properly, for that an AMP is needed with "Phantom Power" that will supply it with the required power.

Only condenser mics need that. Dynamics don't. afaik most broadcast mics are dynamic

5 minutes ago, Aleksa Djordjic said:

It can't be as simple as that, a mic to a mixer and just going to a PC USB, can it?

it can. From the xlr out to the mixer/preamp, then out via usb (most of the time) to a computer.

7 minutes ago, Aleksa Djordjic said:

What is every possible thing (or most) that can be used between an XLR Mic and a PC, what are their purposes and how much do they bring to the table compared to their prices?

The main ones are a mixer (multiple inputs for a single output most the time), a preamp (usually less inputs for lower end ones, usually has better amps [cleaner, less static when gain is cranked]), and an 'activator' (it doesn't have a standard name afaik) which uses phantom power to help with gain for dynamic mics. It's almost a requirement for hard to drive mics like an SM7B or an Electro Voice. There may be others, but they aren't common. I've never seen any others. For prices, at around $100 a preamp usually has good amps that are clean. Depending on the brand, mixers will have slightly worse amps at the same price, though if you need the inputs it'll be fine if you don't need high gain.

17 minutes ago, Aleksa Djordjic said:

Note, I know what XLR is... kinda... What I don't know is what does it take to connect an XLR device to a normal PC, and to have reasonable audio quality

XLR is just a physical connector, like USB or 3.5mm. With a preamp or mixer (or even a XLR to 3.5mm adapters, but NEVER use those) you can connect with USB.

20 minutes ago, Aleksa Djordjic said:

What would be an affordable setup (excluding a microphone) to about $100-$150 tops?

Due to covid, everything is more expensive. a Scarlett solo (one input, one out; the gold standard for cheap preamps) is about 110USD. A Scarlett 2i2 (2 in, 2 out; same amps in it I think so the same sound) is 160USD.

25 minutes ago, Aleksa Djordjic said:

I'm using a program called VoiceMeeter Potato to do all the virtual mixer audio magic but it has its problems,

If it has problems, Audacity and Reaper are pretty good. Both are free (reaper says you need to pay for a license, though you can still use it after trial period)

28 minutes ago, Aleksa Djordjic said:

My idea is to have something isolated, all analog stuff is on its isolated "section" and then just gets converted to digital and then connected to the PC.

I don't think I understand what you mean. Elaborate please

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

2 minutes ago, Aleksa Djordjic said:

XLR Microphones need power delivered to them to work properly, for that an AMP is needed with "Phantom Power" that will supply it with the required power.

only condenser microphones require phantom power, it's 48volts provided to the microphone's plates to give them a charge. Dynamic mics (eg Shure SM58), Ribbon mics (not applicable to your requirement as monster $$$) don't require phantom power. dynamic mics won't be effected if you happen to mistakenly turn it on but ribbons are normally toast if you do. 

5 minutes ago, Aleksa Djordjic said:

To connect any actual XLR device, an analog to digital converter is needed, which is typically a mixer which, in itself, would have a AMP built into it... preferably

this is correct, the microphone through an XLR cable will send signal to a pre-amp (exactly what it sounds like an amp before the mixer's controls, normally built into the board) this is what "gain" refers to, it's the amplification amount you are adding to the mic's signal. 99% of mixers will have this save for a few recording board and obscure things which are very hard to find nowadays. 

10 minutes ago, Aleksa Djordjic said:

it can be, with a giant "depending on what you are doing" notation. for the basic streamer/musician/vocalist/podcaster etc etc a basic audio interface with an XLR preamp and a usb is the perfect starting place. 

you will need:

- An audio interface with USB

- Microphone 

- XLR cable

- Mic stand/holder of some kind

I have a soft spot for Presonus gear so this is their basic audio interface, gets you 2 XLR inputs with independent controls

https://www.amazon.ca/PreSonus-AudioBox-USB-Recording-Interface/dp/B00154KSA2/ref=sr_1_45?crid=3RGQ0BVV18Z4W&dchild=1&keywords=xlr+audio+interface&qid=1601084194&sprefix=xlr+audio%2Caps%2C197&sr=8-45

Focusright does the same thing

https://www.amazon.ca/Focusrite-SCARLETT-SOLO-3RD-GEN-USB-Audio-Interface/dp/B07QR6Z1JB/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3RGQ0BVV18Z4W&dchild=1&keywords=xlr+audio+interface&qid=1601084194&sprefix=xlr+audio%2Caps%2C197&sr=8-5

for microphones Rockville works well to start but after 100$ it jumps to 400+$ and the quality is higher

https://www.amazon.ca/Rockville-Microphone-Capacitors-RCM-SR/dp/B07ZJZV5LP/ref=sr_1_17?dchild=1&keywords=xlr+condenser&qid=1601084553&sr=8-17

this is a condenser mic so it does need phantom power which the interfaces have a button to activate

you can also get Shure SM58's, 57's for a bit cheaper (check used sites for like 29ish$ for a lightly used SM58) each microphone will change the sound slightly, some will bring out warmth and give you smoother jazz tones, others will be more sharp for harsher sounds. basically it's a matter of your ear and a combination of hundreds of settings and EQ settings will change more for what you want than switching microphones. lots of trial and error. 

XLR cables are pretty cheap, most mics come with one already which should be just fine. 

mic stands are based on your layout, tripods work well if you have desk space but arms are much more versatile 

https://www.amazon.ca/Eastshining-Adjustable-Microphone-Suspension-Microphones/dp/B076ZKGZ5X/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=mic+desk+mount&qid=1601085041&sr=8-5

overall you are looking at around 250$ for a starting position to upgrade later as your needs grow. 

there's also some (very few) mics which have internal converters and output to USB 

https://www.amazon.ca/Microphone-MAONO-Condenser-Streaming-Recording/dp/B07T2Z126V/ref=sr_1_47?dchild=1&keywords=xlr+condenser&qid=1601084553&sr=8-47

this gets you the whole setup in one box but is not upgradable without later getting a mic, cable and interface but it will give you better audio than a 3.5mm mic and internal mic input. 

32 minutes ago, Aleksa Djordjic said:

What is every possible thing (or most) that can be used between an XLR Mic and a PC

that is too broad of a question to answer in a forum, to get started you can look into compressors, gates, efx boxes, reverb, preamps, independent EQs, de-essers, auto-tuning, vocal synth units, the list goes on and on and on and each one has a separate purpose depending on what you want to do to the mic signal. 

download.jpg.699940954df63d8c1f243f1d7da3c65a.jpg

all of this can be for a single mic depending on how much you modify before turning it digital. it's completely unnecessary for your purposes until you have learned the interface settings and have experienced a few different mics and want to start upgrading.

that's all before you go digital and can add even more virtual effects and changes before it hits the stream. 

don't even worry about the outboard gear (the stuff between the mic and the pre-amp) just get something to start learning and in a few years of trial and error you'll understand what other gear you will want (if any) for your specific use.  

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

10 minutes ago, piratemonkey said:

I don't think I understand what you mean. Elaborate please

Basically to have anything that is analog as far away from my PC and all of the adapters in it because they introduce a lot of electrical noise

10 minutes ago, piratemonkey said:

afaik most broadcast mics are dynamic

most are condensers nowadays, there's been a push for detail over smooth response so it's neutral before digitally altering

To use an xlr setup, you need an xlr mic, and a mixer or audio interface. keep in mind if you have a condenser mic your interface or mixer has to have 48v phantom power

1 minute ago, Aleksa Djordjic said:

Basically to have anything that is analog as far away from my PC and all of the adapters in it because they introduce a lot of electrical noise

that's not going to be a problem with XLR based on how the cables are designed. 

3 pins, a neutral, a positive and an inverted signal plus shielding around the cable (it's known as balanced cables) input signal and the inverted signal allow any noise or interference to be cancelled out, and even that is less likely because of the wire wrap shielding around the cable

4 minutes ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

XLR cables are pretty cheap, most mics come with one already which should be just fine. 

mic stands are based on your layout, tripods work well if you have desk space but arms are much more versatil

Already got the stand from my old mic and yeah, they are... wow, barely $5 for a almost 2 meter long cable

As long as nothing except the USB cable is against the case it should be fine.

3 minutes ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

most are condensers nowadays, there's been a push for detail over smooth response so it's neutral before digitally altering

ahh ok. I guess I've been living in the past lol.

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

6 minutes ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

that is too broad of a question to answer in a forum, to get started you can look into compressors, gates, efx boxes, reverb, preamps, independent EQs, de-essers, auto-tuning, vocal synth units, the list goes on and on and on and each one has a separate purpose depending on what you want to do to the mic signal. 

That is a lot of stuff... good to know
Just to verify:
Compressor is the thing that makes quiet parts louder, and loud parts quiet, right
Specifically what I would need is a basic EQ and compressor, although that stuff comes with basic mixers afaik

1 minute ago, piratemonkey said:

ahh ok. I guess I've been living in the past lol.

so was I until I started looking at gear for this, everything I was used to has been beta58's, ATM's even the cheap new stuff looks great compared to my day

Compressor is the thing that makes quiet parts louder, and loud parts quiet, right

compressor takes the loud parts and reduces how loud they are, it doesn't ever increase the volume of the quieter sounds but it can allow you to increase the quiet sounds without blasting the loud sounds. 

Basic EQ will come with the mixer, typically a treble and bass knob but sometimes you can get a midtone as well. There's also software versions which give you much much more control. same with compressors, digital is definitely the way to go with these as plugins for your software instead of expensive outboard gear. 

14 minutes ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

Looked at local prices (Serbia) for that, since it looks familiar, I must have seen it somewhere and heard good stuff about it.
Its exactly 100 euros, seems resonable

2 minutes ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

Basic EQ will come with the mixer, typically a treble and bass knob but sometimes you can get a midtone as well. There's also software versions which give you much much more control. same with compressors, digital is definitely the way to go with these as plugins for your software instead of expensive outboard gear

Figured that out a long time ago, that is why I'm using VoiceMeeter Potato, it has everything that I need + extra
Only problem with it is that it introduces some audio lag, even when everything is done to reduce it and it doesn't really like the OPUS encoder, which is what most stuff uses sadly... Like Discord, Teamspeak, some games and some of my own programming projects as well so that is unfortunate
Its fine-ish, it works, you just hear audio crackling, been searching for a fix for months now, I just gave up in the end

1 minute ago, Aleksa Djordjic said:

Looked at local prices (Serbia) for that, since it looks familiar, I must have seen it somewhere and heard good stuff about it.
Its exactly 100 euros, seems resonable

that's definitely reasonable, 

if you can find it https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01C05AL4C?psc=1&th=1&linkCode=gs2&tag=microphonebas-20

I remember when the models this is based on went for 500$+ well worth it if it's near you. 

Figured that out a long time ago, that is why I'm using VoiceMeeter Potato, it has everything that I need + extra

you can try https://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Audio/Other-AUDIO-Tools/ViPER4Windows.shtml

Viper4Windows has most of the outboard stuff you'll use and latency settings to cut down the delay (I haven't noticed any) 

Focusright will also have built in software for the interface which definitely has most things, might not have a compressor though. 

Found it for 55 euros, out of stock though and only in one store

well worth the wait if they can get it in. it's one of the "historical" mics you'll end up keeping long after upgrading everything else in the setup

1 minute ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

you can try https://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Audio/Other-AUDIO-Tools/ViPER4Windows.shtml

Viper4Windows has most of the outboard stuff you'll use and latency settings to cut down the delay (I haven't noticed any) 

Focusright will also have built in software for the interface which definitely has most things, might not have a compressor though. 

Seems promising, although one of the reasons why I use what I use is its virtual input and output devices, which I quite like and need for a lot of stuff.
Quickly looked over this and it doesn't seem to have that sadly, would be using it if it did
Although might still try it for some other stuff, thanks

21 hours ago, Aleksa Djordjic said:

Sorry I didn't see this post sooner but if you're looking for info about XLR setups and the hardware options you might want to take a look at the link in my signature, I designed it prettymuch solely to completely answer this question as simply as possible.

As for cheap setup, UMC202HD and Behringer C2 is my usual go-to, it's a condenser so it will pick up some background noise but it's also highly directional so it will ignore most things it's not directly pointing at. In any event, you should take a look at the link, it runs through the hardware options and has a list of some of my most often recommended gear.

Sloth's the name, audio gear is the game
I'll do my best to lend a hand to anyone with audio questions, studio gear and value for money are my primary focus.

Click here for my Microphone and Interface guide, tips and recommendations

For advice I rely on The Brains Trust :
@rice guru
- Headphones, Earphones and personal audio for any budget 
@Derkoli- High end specialist and allround knowledgeable bloke