Headphones

Joppsta

So my girlfriend is wanting to get me a new set of headphones. I currently use a Logitech G35 gaming headset for audio with a gimp 2 speaker solution for when I'm not wearing them.

I'm looking for something with decent sound quality, don't need a headset as I have a RODE-NT1A for microphone purposes. I'm not a massive audio snob, which is probably obvious from my current setup, but if you're going to upgrade then you might as well do it right. I'm not particular about closed or open ear although I personally think closed is better.

£100-200 is the budget but stretchable I think.

Thanks in advance

- Joppsta

Beyerdynamic Tygrs (open)

HD 599 (Open)

DT 770 pro 80ohm (Closed) These have really good bass.

HD569 (Closed) 

Don't get any headphone over 150ohm. Maybe if you got a decsent interface for your mic.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

18 hours ago, Tigerleon said:

Don't get any headphone over 150ohm. Maybe if you got a decsent interface for your mic.

Careful with that recommendation. By itself, it's wrong. He can't get low impedance planars for instance without running out of power. They have low sensitivity normally.

18 hours ago, Joppsta said:

So my girlfriend is wanting to get me a new set of headphones. I currently use a Logitech G35 gaming headset for audio with a gimp 2 speaker solution for when I'm not wearing them.

I'm looking for something with decent sound quality, don't need a headset as I have a RODE-NT1A for microphone purposes. I'm not a massive audio snob, which is probably obvious from my current setup, but if you're going to upgrade then you might as well do it right. I'm not particular about closed or open ear although I personally think closed is better.

Thanks in advance

- Joppsta

Consider the new Sennheiser HD560S. Down the line you can put another 200 dollars into an external Amplifier + DAC (100 each) combo and you'll be set.

I've got a scarlett solo for my mic if that makes any difference? Cheers for the recommendations guys

All the recommendations in this thread are just general good headphones. But what do you need? Sound isolation? Comfort? Large head, small head? Sweaty? There are a ton of good options to choose from.

2 hours ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

Careful with that recommendation. By itself, it's wrong. He can't get low impedance planars for instance without running out of power. They have low sensitivity normally.

Consider the new Sennheiser HD560S. Down the line you can put another 200 dollars into an external Amplifier + DAC (100 each) combo and you'll be set.

It is not wrong. Basically 150ohm and up is probably were you should start looking at amps. Depends on the headphones paired with what mobo/interface really. But I didn't even mention planars.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

7 minutes ago, Tigerleon said:

It is not wrong. Basically 150ohm and up is probably were you should start looking at amps. Depends on the headphones paired with what mobo/interface really. But I didn't even mention planars.

Many cans with low impedance need an amp because they are not efficient. So using a "x" ohm number by itself to determine what needs or not an amp is incomplete.

32 minutes ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

Many cans with low impedance need an amp because they are not efficient. So using a "x" ohm number by itself to determine what needs or not an amp is incomplete.

I just said that to be simple. I don't wanna tear down a specific headphone and talk about the physics of just those headphones and do mathematical tests on them to figure out the specific power needed to get them driving properly just because someone wants headphones. Have you heard of ohm's law?

My PC specs & audio gear

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

1 hour ago, Tigerleon said:

I just said that to be simple. I don't wanna tear down a specific headphone and talk about the physics of just those headphones and do mathematical tests on them to figure out the specific power needed to get them driving properly just because someone wants headphones. Have you heard of ohm's law?

It's much more simple than you make it seem you can justusally lookup what people are experiencing or looks at sensitivity numbers compared to something easy to drive. impedance numbers are just normally good to look at whne you are comparing headphones in the same family or brand in relation to each other. it's a not a great metrick in relative hard to drive for example a 55 ohm akg k240 in my experience was slightly harder to drive than a 150 ohm hd 58x especially when I was trying to squeeze out every single piece of performance I could get out of it. a 80 ohm beyer is sometimes depending on the existing gear you could start looking at amps and like humdrum penguin said when it comes to planars that is another story and is a decent piece of the pie especially when looking at gaming gear.  also OHMs law barely has to do anything to do with this it's just a way to derive voltage, current, or resistance given 2 of the  pieces of information  I=V/R I use it for trouble shooting circuits  has nothing to do with dB/mV or even efficiency dB/mW

27 minutes ago, rice guru said:

has nothing to do with dB/mV or even efficiency dB/mW

That is a good point.

My PC specs & audio gear

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

• 2 months later...

I would either give some more specific desires or just look at reviews for the headphones mentioned so far. I really like Josh Valour and Zeos, another good reviewer is DMS but I don't watch his videos for some reason.

For something easy to drive I would look hard at the phillips X2HR, I've heard the X3 which is basically the same thing but a touch better and they're incredible and easy to drive.  I've also heard the dt770 and loved them.  They're polar opposites for sound signature so it comes down to what you prefer.

But yeah headphones have a billion different characteristics to choose from, if you don't know then just go off a review you like.

I can't comment on the bang and olufsen because I'm not a wireless fan but to each their own, would leave you not needing a dac and amp

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

On 11/28/2020 at 11:52 PM, Psittac said:

phillips X2HR

This is the recommendation, these things are insane. And on sale for £100 recently, literally cannot go wrong

On 11/28/2020 at 6:52 PM, Psittac said:

I would either give some more specific desires or just look at reviews for the headphones mentioned so far. I really like Josh Valour and Zeos, another good reviewer is DMS but I don't watch his videos for some reason.

For something easy to drive I would look hard at the phillips X2HR, I've heard the X3 which is basically the same thing but a touch better and they're incredible and easy to drive.  I've also heard the dt770 and loved them.  They're polar opposites for sound signature so it comes down to what you prefer.

But yeah headphones have a billion different characteristics to choose from, if you don't know then just go off a review you like.

I can't comment on the bang and olufsen because I'm not a wireless fan but to each their own, would leave you not needing a dac and amp

The x3 tones down the bass significantly and treble up a good amount. Unfortunately making it a less fun headphone .

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly I think your best bet is to hop on Amazon and get the Audiotechnica M50X & Antlion Mod Mic Combo. The m50's are legendary and will sound great with your motherboard as long as it's not a bottom barrel sound chip. They hit about 37Ohms. They will always, just like most headphones, sound better through an amp. The Mod Mic, I'm told that I come through crystal clear all the time when playing games. People ask me what Mic I use a lot. 

Also, there is a Bluetooth M50x model now for $20 more. Best of all worlds really.

2 hours ago, Sorlark said:

Honestly I think your best bet is to hop on Amazon and get the Audiotechnica M50X & Antlion Mod Mic Combo. The m50's are legendary and will sound great with your motherboard as long as it's not a bottom barrel sound chip. They hit about 37Ohms. They will always, just like most headphones, sound better through an amp. The Mod Mic, I'm told that I come through crystal clear all the time when playing games. People ask me what Mic I use a lot. 

Also, there is a Bluetooth M50x model now for $20 more. Best of all worlds really.

Unfortunately awful for this use case which seems to be gaming 

AKG K240 Studio are stupidly good for less than that. In that price range it's kind of hard, probably the K701 or some AT.
I would personally recommend you to spend way more or much less. 

I ended up getting the phillips headphones off my own back as she wouldn't agree to get them as she wanted to spend upwards of like £200 apparently. I know my usage case and I also know that I don't want to have that much spent on me when I don't really need that.

Really impressed with the X2HR's and they seem to be working pretty great through my scarlett solo so win-win. Only missing on ear audio controls which I did not expect but sacrifices must be made.. I'll just need to get a keyboard with audio controls now 😛

Cheers for the pointers guys,

- Joppsta

On 9/25/2020 at 7:59 PM, Joppsta said:

Thanks in advance

- Joppsta

I have the Beyerdynamics dt990 edition 32 ohms of impedance and the audio is very good. the only downside is that you prefer more the closed ones and the dt990 are open but they are really great :)