GTX 1070 NVENC_HEVC/H.265 video recording issue

tryhard techy1169

I'm wanting to switch my video recording over from nvidia shadowplay to OBS mainly to switch from h.264 and it's huge file sizes down to h.265 managable file sizes with same quality. while i have been running test recording and i'm generally happy with file size and video quality the recorded files have no thumbnail and show no resolution in the details section. as soon as i switch back over to h.264 i don't have any issues. 

some important details to note i am running a 3770k on windows 7 so no native X265 support. my VLC media player is fully updated and handles H.265 perfectly fine. the only thing i can figure is that because my CPU doesn't natively support H.265 i have to find the windows 7 compatible version of the H.265 codec. however i have no idea what websites with such codecs are safe and if this problem is solvable at all with microsoft's relentless drive to pull anyone it can onto windows 10.

please for the sake of my sanity and to spare your time only respond if you have experience with this topic. assumptions and guesses serve no one any good here.

upon further investigation and assistance from the LTT discord server i have discovered that the problem is a BS exclusion put in place by microsoft to shaft windows 7 users trying to use H.265. downloading a codec pack didn't help, using windows media player with that pack does nothing different and reinstalling vlc and resarting after does nothing. also none of the 2-3 in windows settings tips were useful as my defaults already were set to allow thumbnails.