Asus Rog GU502 1660ti slowing down

Hello everyone.

Not sure if this is in the right place?

I am new here. I have purchased a ROG Zephyrus 1660 ti with the R7 3750H. I intended to use it for gaming and light graphic design in Fusion 360. If i leave the lapptop for 20 min doing nothing or have shut down a game ( Dead by daylight, Star Craft 2) and switched between a few diffrent things like Fusion 360 and Firefox the computer slows down significantly, so much so that Youtube videos dont even play smoothly and the audio does that weird eco buffering thing ( Im sure there is a technical term for it) restarting the computer seems to fix it. For a laptop with 24gb ram and 6gb graphics not to mention the processor. it sometimes feels slower than my old laptop running 4gb ram onboard graphics and a core 2 duo cpu. Any help would be appreciated. I have used videos on youtube and articles found online that suggest altering privacy setting and updating drives, all of which have little to no effect. Is this just the nature of the beast or have i messed soemthing up and if the latter how the hell do i fix it?

Thank you all in advance.

17 minutes ago, YsGrandi said:

Can you try reinstalling windows ? buckup your files and reinstall windows

it was a fresh install of windows when i purchased it used from a friend. unfortunatly i dont have the Serial number to reactivate windows. I can try using the reset my pc option. Unless i can make a bootable thumb drive and reinstall windows that way without a serial number?

2 hours ago, YsGrandi said:

was the pc provided with a genuine activation key ?

Of course it was, it's an OEM laptop...

OP, can you monitor your temps with hwinfo64?

7 hours ago, brian105 said:

OP, can you monitor your temps with hwinfo64?

Yes,

CPU temp min=44, max=46. No Load

GPU temp min=43, max=45. No Load

I havent been able to test under load.

I am going to attempt to reinstall windows from a bootable usb. Im going to start from scratch and hope that does the trick.

Reinstalling windows did not help. It has almost made things worse, after i start the machine fusion opens in about 40s. After i have played a game and shut that down fusion will take over 2 minutes to start and the whole interface is laggy untill I restart the computer Some games wont even launch they just hang. also after shutting down a game, my mouse stops working and kind of glith moves slowly across the screen. after about 2 minutes the mouse seems to be fine again (track pad and usb mouse). Any thing but the lightest of activities seem slow and laggy. I have had to restart my machine multiple time in a night to just switch between games or software.

Hey, I have the same machine, but don't have any such issues

There is a couple of things you might want to try

Disable Asus services - This includes things like diagnosis, remote management, Asus Link etc. You will find a list in Task manager right at the top. Do not uninstall anything related to Armoury crate, this includes ROG Live service, Refresh Rate Service and more. 

Switch your power plan - Okay so this is a dumb suggestion, but in case you havent already, swicth to Turbo in Armoury Crate and then see if the laptio throttles and comes to a stop under load...

Switch your power plan #2 - So if this does not work, head over to your power options and make sure the power plan that you have selected is 'Asus Recommended' when 'Silent' is selected in Armoury crate. Ensure this. In case you screw up, it should be Balanced in power options for 'Balanced;' in armoury crate and 'High Performance' for turbo in armoury crate

If the laptop is more than a year old then use compressed air to clean your fans, the fins on this machine are notorious for catching dust and hair

Lastly if nothing works, i recommend you try a Windows 10 reinstall from a boot drive and not the cloud.....This will not install Asus software which controls your performance output drastically in the backgrond to increase performance

Although Windows should manage your laptop properly and turbo it as well, you will be unable to get fan curves and turbo sustain that Asus adds with Armoury crate

However if all works after this with only Windows managing your system then you can start installing Asus OEM software one by one from their offical support site

Thank you all for the help, I am not entirely sure how it happened, but I noticed in the resources page that my cpu was not turboing back up after it went into and idle state and was sitting at 0.4 frequency. I managed to get a fresh copy of Windows downloaded and installed off of a bookable drive and followed the advice from #Rickster and #BorisBukowsky and once I started to reinstall the asus software the laptop turboed right back up all be it to over 3.5ghz  140% at times. It has started to behave like a new computer should. Thank you all for the help.