Windows freezes and locks up, often briefly after waking from sleep.

harrisonjr98

Hello all! Currently using a prebuilt-transplant as my main PC, that I put together at the start of quarantine after buying an old rig from a friend. It's the guts of an HP with a 4th gen i7, and then a beefed up PSU and GTX 1080. It has served me well, but in the last month or so I have noticed an odd hitch - Windows seems to freeze/lock up for about 15-20 seconds at random intervals, most commonly around 5 minutes after waking up from sleep (right as I get back to work) or after being on for multiple hours. Temps appear fine, I don't think it's a power draw issue because it happens while at idle for the most part (well, web browser open, but you get the gist.) It's really stumped me! Happens almost without fail now, around 5 minutes after waking from sleep.

It's not the end of the world on it's own, buttt I was hoping to sell the machine soon and go Ryzen 4000/RTX 3080, but obviously don't want to sell someone a machine with a weird issue and so I want to nail it down.

What does Task Manager say when it happens?

My other thought is drivers. 

3 minutes ago, wamred said:

What does Task Manager say when it happens?

My other thought is drivers. 

can't get to task manager, can't move cursor. It's a good thought though, I'll leave it open next time I wake from sleep and see if I can catch the activity. Drivers was my first thought too, especially since I Frankenstein'd the machine a bit and just ended up doing drivers from scratch. Nvidia has updated multiple times since it's started.

4 minutes ago, harrisonjr98 said:

can't get to task manager, can't move cursor. It's a good thought though, I'll leave it open next time I wake from sleep and see if I can catch the activity. Drivers was my first thought too, especially since I Frankenstein'd the machine a bit and just ended up doing drivers from scratch. Nvidia has updated multiple times since it's started.

Good luck sir! I would say try using the onboard graphics (I am not sure if your chip has them though). 

Just now, wamred said:

Good luck sir! I would say try using the onboard graphics (I am not sure if your chip has them though). 

It does, it's a locked 4770. Will definitely give that a shot.