Headset for gaming and music

HoraryZappy

Hey! I'm trying to find a good headset that is well built and good for gaming and music, my budget is around 200-250 dollars but I really can't decide wich to pick

What kind of music do you listen to and would you prefer open or closed backs?

Also what kind of games do you play generally?

Sennheiser GSP 500

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

3 minutes ago, rice guru said:

What kind of music do you listen to and would you prefer open or closed backs?

Also what kind of games do you play generally?

Normally I listen to some music on spotify when I'm playing games like Rainbow Six Siege or Minecraft when I want to relax; I generally prefer closed backs headsets

30 minutes ago, HoraryZappy said:

Normally I listen to some music on spotify when I'm playing games like Rainbow Six Siege or Minecraft when I want to relax; I generally prefer closed backs headsets

You want an open sound for that. So open back is the way to go ideally. There are many options out there for open backs. There are the HD 559 that are pretty cheap. The beyerdynamic tygrs. The HD 599 which are basically an upgrade to the HD 559. I'd recommend the Tygrs since they have a good soundstage and a good imaging for gaming and pretty good for music as well. The sound signature of those are V shaped which means that the bass and sub bass extension is boosted as well as the treble.

As for a mic. You could chose between a blue snowball or a modmic 4 uni. You can't get a better "gaming" headset for the price. Screw RGB and screw design. It is the audio and comfort as well as build quality that matters!

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

15 minutes ago, Tigerleon said:

You want an open sound for that. So open back is the way to go ideally. There are many options out there for open backs. There are the HD 559 that are pretty cheap. The beyerdynamic tygrs. The HD 599 which are basically an upgrade to the HD 559. I'd recommend the Tygrs since they have a good soundstage and a good imaging for gaming and pretty good for music as well. The sound signature of those are V shaped which means that the bass and sub bass extension is boosted as well as the treble.

As for a mic. You could chose between a blue snowball or a modmic 4 uni. You can't get a better "gaming" headset for the price. Screw RGB and screw design. It is the audio and comfort as well as build quality that matters!

Thank you very much! I'll probably go with the HD 599. And by the way, I hate rgb headsets too, I think they are really useless at this point

Just now, HoraryZappy said:

Thank you very much! I'll probably go with the HD 599. And by the way, I hate rgb headsets too, I think they are really useless at this point

Yeah. Nice to see others are agree.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

1 hour ago, HoraryZappy said:

for a nice closed back headphone that is decent for gaming I would take a look at the akg k371 and k 361. go with the 361 if your not too into bass and like more like something akin to female vocals or classic rock the 371 is a bit better for more modern music. since you live in europe though I would look at the akg k612. the akg k712 is awesome as well but is a work headphoen great for gaming maybe not really fun enough for music and is also hard to drive so you might have to spend more cash on amps.

@HoraryZappy You haven't mentioned about your surroundings, if sound leak poses a problem or not. If it doesn't, open backs tend to be better, especially at low budgets. The HD599, although good for what they are, will probably lack without a decentish amp. All Sennheisers do lack in sound without amplification truth be told. The new HD560S might also be worth a look.

On a side note...I wonder how the cheap ass 3D Pulse sounds and feels in terms of comfort. Apparently works with everything that one, just hasn't been released yet.