Burning smell from PC

Fatemu

Hi, 

So I recently had some cooling problems with my Ryzen 7 3700x so contacted AMD and they told me to disable core performance boost which subsequently fixed my issue. However today I turned it back on for an hour just to see the FPS difference in Warzone, my CPUs temps seemed to actually manage fine with it turned back on. But my GPU was now running consistently at 80c compared to before when it barely peaked at 75. It was during this hour that me and my flatmates started to smell a burning smell from my PC. Was just wondering if anyone would have any idea of what this is and how I could go about fixing it.

Thanks in advance for the help.

1 minute ago, Fatemu said:

Hi, 

So I recently had some cooling problems with my Ryzen 7 3700x so contacted AMD and they told me to disable core performance boost which subsequently fixed my issue. However today I turned it back on for an hour just to see the FPS difference in Warzone, my CPUs temps seemed to actually manage fine with it turned back on. But my GPU was now running consistently at 80c compared to before when it barely peaked at 75. It was during this hour that me and my flatmates started to smell a burning smell from my PC. Was just wondering if anyone would have any idea of what this is and how I could go about fixing it.

Which gpu are u using??

Just now, sarabjeet24 said:

Which gpu are u using??

I am using the RTX 2070

I am using the RTX 2070

It might be an issue with the fans try cleaning the fans because they help to manage temps if they will run slow dew to dust or anything your gpu temp will increase drastically

If you were throttling the CPU due to thermal limits, then removed those thermal issues, the CPU is able to (likely) provide more frame time for the GPU to work, increasing its temps at the same time.

Get the side panel off your PC and use your nose to pinpoint the location of the burning smell.  If its present after shutting down and airing out a bit, then it should be obvious where it originates.  

By burning smell, you mean burning plastic I assume?

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

2 minutes ago, Fatemu said:

I am using the RTX 2070

And also will affect performance greatly

16 minutes ago, Fatemu said:

Hi, 

What hardware do you have installed? I'm particularly interested in your GPU manufacturer and model (i.e., which 2070?) and power supply manufacturer/model and wattage, but full system specs would help.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

7 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

What hardware do you have installed? I'm particularly interested in your GPU manufacturer and model (i.e., which 2070?) and power supply manufacturer/model and wattage, but full system specs would help.

This is the full PC specs

PC.thumb.png.a8fd5ca1348aa0780240fb52ef713814.png

This is the full PC specs

How long have you had the PSU? EVGA BR units aren't the best, but they're typically not fire level.

All the same, a burning smell is never good. I'd try to pinpoint where it's coming from, then RMA that part, but I'm very cautious about such things.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

15 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

How long have you had the PSU? EVGA BR units aren't the best, but they're typically not fire level.

All the same, a burning smell is never good. I'd try to pinpoint where it's coming from, then RMA that part, but I'm very cautious about such things.

Everything except the motherboard and ssd/hard drive was brand new in july