About RAM

apocalee
Go to solution Solved by Haro,

1. You can, after the ram is filled up, it can start page filings to the drive.

2. Less load in that certain app, like closing tabs on chrome. 

3. I mean, it should be fine for the most part, "normal student tasks" is a little vague, but assuming it's just light gaming and web browsing, it's fine. 

I'm new to the tech industry. And these questions might be common sense for you guys

1. Can you run out of RAM

2. How can I lower the memory usage of a certain app. example chrome?

3. Is 8gb RAM enough for low duty gaming, and normal student tasks?

Thank you for taking your time to read my question. You probably might be laughing at me rn. :D

1. you can fill up your ram, yes. at that point, the system becomes very slow or unresponsive, until you close some apps to free up some ram

2. you can't. close what you don't need/use. keep less chrome tabs open.

3. it should be, but depends on the user. Chrome eats about 100mb per tab. with 40 tabs open, you already use 4gb of ram. windows uses about 3gb anyway, so you're left with 1gb. if you try to game at that point, with 40 tabs open, you'll have a bad experience.

1. You can, after the ram is filled up, it can start page filings to the drive.

2. Less load in that certain app, like closing tabs on chrome. 

3. I mean, it should be fine for the most part, "normal student tasks" is a little vague, but assuming it's just light gaming and web browsing, it's fine. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

other two people explained well enough so i'll just comment to say i agree with their statements,

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

1. Can you run out of RAM

Ofcourse, ram is like a gas tank, gasoline is the data. If you pour so many gasoline faster than the engine can burn, it would fill up the tank, so the rest of the gasoline need to wait in the jerrycan (your HDD).

2. How can I lower the memory usage of a certain app. example chrome?

Use less tab reduce the active tab, don't run video / youtube. Or in other app like photoshop, you can use lower size files.

You can also reduce the background running programs such as Viruscan. well this doesn't take a lot of room, but it will reduce the cpu workload.

To view how many ram you consume, right click windows button and click Task Manager, go to performance tab, you will see the current utilizations.

3. Is 8gb RAM enough for low duty gaming, and normal student tasks?

So far it would be enough, IF you don't use any other program in the foreground (or background).

This would change in the future as more games will need more ram to operate.

For browsing, taking note, office, this would be more than enough.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

3 hours ago, boggy77 said:

1. you can fill up your ram, yes. at that point, the system becomes very slow or unresponsive, until you close some apps to free up some ram

2. you can't. close what you don't need/use. keep less chrome tabs open.

3. it should be, but depends on the user. Chrome eats about 100mb per tab. with 40 tabs open, you already use 4gb of ram. windows uses about 3gb anyway, so you're left with 1gb. if you try to game at that point, with 40 tabs open, you'll have a bad experience.

thank you so much for your help, I couldn't find the answers just by googling