Is it worth getting an iPhone 4?

Probenja

So, my mom wants to change her asha 311 for a better phone. She said once that she will never use a touch-screen device but now she loves them. Of course it needs to be something simple and that "it just works", so it couldn't be android, so its pretty much either an iPhone 4 or a Lumia (525, 520 or 620).

She likes the UI of windows phone but the lack of google apps means that it would be more difficult connecting with me and my brothers that have android phones and she currentley has an iPad mini for work and she got used to it (i still need to convince her to update to iOS 7 though) and i was just browsing and actually the iPhone 4 has some pretty good deals on-contract, we are getting the lumia's off-contract.

So my question is, Is the iPhone 4 8gb still worth it?? She will not install any apps maybe with the exeption of whatsapp/telegram, skype and hangouts, she will use it to check emails and obviously calls. I have used many and pretty much all of them running iOS 7 have lag but i am sure it is because they install too many apps. And also there is the whole car-play stuff, i dont know if our next car will be equipped with the option of having it or if it is going to be a pay app but if it is compatible it would be a good thing to have.

BTW here are the prices in $US:

Lumia 520/620 $0 on-contract $90/$125 off contract

iPhone 4 $15 on-contract $350 off contract

Main PC:

ASUS F1A55-M LX, AMD A6-3500, (2x2)gb Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600mhz, Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm, 
 Corsair CX430M, Cooler Master Elite 343, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Netbook:

Lenovo Ideapad S10-2, Intel Atom N280, (1x1)gb DDR2 667mhz, WD Scorpio Blue 250gb 5400rpm, Zorin OS 9 Lite

iPhone is great for someone who isn't exactly a tech savvy, but then again, if the 5c is cheaper than the iPhone 4, you could go for that. (just checked some prices... doesn't appear to be cheaper.. )

nope, it wont receive updates , only the latest ios 7 update it will get

end of the Iphone 4's lifecycles (thats 's not iphone 4s, to clarify)

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

Of course it needs to be something simple and that "it just works", so it couldn't be android, 

loooolwut?? My parents and grandparents all have android phones and guess what, they work :o *spongebob rainbow*

Get her a moto G, it's not harder to use than an iphone and you'll be getting an insane amount of value for the money.

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

Five letters Moto G, I know you said it couldn't be android but iPhone 4 is awwwwwwfull with iOS 7, trust me, just DON'T DO IT. It's not because of apps, I've seen an iPhone 4 with only 10 apps and it laaags. Car play doesn't work with iPhone 4...

i'm a potato

Moto G

"If violence does not work, try more violence"

iPhone is great for someone who isn't exactly a tech savvy, but then again, if the 5c is cheaper than the iPhone 4, you could go for that. (just checked some prices... doesn't appear to be cheaper.. )

Nope, the 5c in my country is $715 off-contract, $230 on-contract.

loooolwut?? My parents and grandparents all have android phones and guess what, they work :o *spongebob rainbow*

Get her a moto G, it's not harder to use than an iphone and you'll be getting an insane amount of value for the money.

Well, don't think i haven't tried to convince her to get an android phone (check my avatar), I have a Motorola with android 4.1.2, My brother has a Moto G with android 4.4.2 and my other brother has a Galaxy Ace running 2.3.7. all with stock android and she doen't like any of them.

Main PC:

ASUS F1A55-M LX, AMD A6-3500, (2x2)gb Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600mhz, Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm, 

Netbook:

Lenovo Ideapad S10-2, Intel Atom N280, (1x1)gb DDR2 667mhz, WD Scorpio Blue 250gb 5400rpm, Zorin OS 9 Lite

The Nokia lumia will be a MUCH better experience for her, and the iPhone 4 is suuuuper laggy with iOS 7.

Five letters Moto G, I know you said it couldn't be android but iPhone 4 is awwwwwwfull with iOS 7, trust me, just DON'T DO IT. It's not because of apps, I've seen an iPhone 4 with only 10 apps and it laaags. Car play doesn't work with iPhone 4...

I have an iPhone 4 and find it quite fluid with iOS 7. :D

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

I've had the opposite experience with all iPhone 4's I have tried, it takes ages to open apps, camera etc.

Fine, it's your money.

i'm a potato

Hell no. Get the 5C.

You do realise what the "C" stands for don't you? It's the iPhone 5Crap. :P

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Don't get an iPhone 4, it will not run ios 7 very efficiently. The lowest iPhone i would recommend is the 4s. Ideally you should get the 5c though (native to ios 7).

However as others have been saying, the Moto G would be the best option as a value phone.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

Do not get the 4, it's just too old and slow now.

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

I own an iPhone 4 myself, and it is running iOS 7.

The criticisms of it running slowly are inaccurate. It is not as fast as the newer models obviously, however it is still perfectly speedy for normal use. It also still has great audio quality, so if your mother would like to use it for playing music then it would be a perfect choice for her.

I say go for it. :)

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

No. Many people are actually switching to Android Smartphones. Apple is getting old & boring. There's much better phones out there then the iPhone.

LG G2, Samsung Galaxy S4, Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, etc. etc.

Name : Lenovo IdeaPad Y570 | CPU : 2nd Gen. Intel Core i7-2670QM, 2.20/3.10Ghz, 6MB L3 Cache, Socket FCPGA988, Q1,2011 | GPU : Nvidia GeForce GT 555M, 1GB VRAM, DirectX 11 Shader v5.0 | HDD : 500GB Seagate Momentus, 8MB Cache, SATA 3.0Gbs 2.5", 5400 RPM | RAM : 8GB DDR3 RAM, 2 DIMM, 1333 Mhz | Monitor : Insignia 32" LED FHD TV, 1080p, Connected via HDMI | Cinebench R15 CPU Score : 472Purchased  From : Lenovo.com for  $800 | Fun Fact 01  : IBM Sold it's entire PC Division to Lenovo in 2004 | Fun Fact 02 : This is my first Quad Core Laptop I've Ever Owned & I take very good care of it | Age : It's 2 years old | Ordered Date : January 23rd, 2012 | Delivery Date : February 3rd, 2012

iPhone is so over rated.. There's many phones with new contract that costs $0.00

Android is so awesome, it's not boring like Apple phones.

Name : Lenovo IdeaPad Y570 | CPU : 2nd Gen. Intel Core i7-2670QM, 2.20/3.10Ghz, 6MB L3 Cache, Socket FCPGA988, Q1,2011 | GPU : Nvidia GeForce GT 555M, 1GB VRAM, DirectX 11 Shader v5.0 | HDD : 500GB Seagate Momentus, 8MB Cache, SATA 3.0Gbs 2.5", 5400 RPM | RAM : 8GB DDR3 RAM, 2 DIMM, 1333 Mhz | Monitor : Insignia 32" LED FHD TV, 1080p, Connected via HDMI | Cinebench R15 CPU Score : 472Purchased  From : Lenovo.com for  $800 | Fun Fact 01  : IBM Sold it's entire PC Division to Lenovo in 2004 | Fun Fact 02 : This is my first Quad Core Laptop I've Ever Owned & I take very good care of it | Age : It's 2 years old | Ordered Date : January 23rd, 2012 | Delivery Date : February 3rd, 2012

No. Many people are actually switching to Android Smartphones. Apple is getting old & boring. There's much better phones out there then the iPhone.

LG G2, Samsung Galaxy S4, Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, etc. etc.

OP asked for recommendations outside of Android and already explained why. Certainly, phones like the S4 and Note 3 would make no sense for what his mother needs.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

OP asked for recommendations outside of Android and already explained why. Certainly, phones like the S4 and Note 3 would make no sense for what his mother needs.

Why doesn't she just get a house phone..? Landline? I believe you can get a 900Mhz cordless phone for like $15, and have TImer Warner Cable or whoever is her cable service provider come out and she could get phone service for $29.99 month, unlimited calling.. She's not going to be installing any apps, or anything.. what's the sense of even getting a cellphone? Why not get a Tracfone? Or Prepaid cellphone.. I believe you can get prepaid service for as low as like $45 month UNLIMITED everything.. :)

Or how about Google Voice.. That's Free, just need to have internet service. which I'm sure she has.

Why doesn't she just get a house phone..? Landline? I believe you can get a 900Mhz cordless phone for like $15, and have TImer Warner Cable or whoever is her cable service provider come out and she could get phone service for $29.99 month, unlimited calling.. She's not going to be installing any apps, or anything.. what's the sense of even getting a cellphone? Why not get a Tracfone? Or Prepaid cellphone.. I believe you can get prepaid service for as low as like $45 month UNLIMITED everything.. :)

Or how about Google Voice.. That's Free, just need to have internet service. which I'm sure she has.

She already has a house phone, she just needs a phone to comunicate with people outside the house, I wanted to give her a simple smartphone so she can send messages (skype, hangouts, whatsapp), make calls and check her emails. Of course i would never recommend her getting an expensive note 3 or iPhone 5s because she is not going to use half its potential but something like a cheap lumia or iPhone 4 is fine for her. Also i live outside the US so the phones are a little bit more expensive.

Anyways, I don't think the Moto G is for her, my brother has one and i have a RAZR that is quite similar and they are too complicated for what she will be using them, i don't think there are any better android phones than the moto g in that price range. The lumia's are nice but the lack of g apps is a drawback and the iPhone 4 is awesome but iOS 7 made it laggy but hopefully out of the box that will not be a big issue.

In conclusion:

Android phones: Too complicated for her.

iPhone 4: Too laggy in iOS 7, hopefully without many apps it will not be that bad, newer iPhones are significally more expensive.

Lumia 520/620: Good but the lack of google apps is a drawback.

Main PC:

Netbook: