Why are there no curved ultrawide monitors with 2160p height?

Balletje72
41 minutes ago, yeeyee123 said:

I can admit when I'm wrong, although I'm not sure a paragraph after I responded to actual question should be considered "spend[ing] the entire post arguing about what 4K means."

Thanks for clearing up where and why 4k notation comes from and is used. I will never  get defensive when I'm talking with someone who knows more than me. I think its a little unfair to say that I'm the one making confusing since you yourself said that using 4k notation for PC monitors "is not well-suited for their application". I agree that just saying 2160p is better for everyone. The reason I intially made my response is because others in this thread were arguing that a 4k by 1080p monitor is not 1080p which is not true, although I should not have been arguing that it is not 4k either, since it is. And no one actually answered his question, which by the phrasing of the initial question, I thought what he meant was pretty clear. 

Anyway thanks for clearing up this thread with some actual knowledge. Hopefully people on both sides of the aisle have a better understanding. I know I do. 

You took that better than I expected, hats off 👍 I apologize for being too aggressive with my wording.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/20/2020 at 6:18 AM, Balletje72 said:

Now with the new RTX 3080 release, the gigantic boost in fps allows easy playing on 4k monitors on max settings. So, I'm looking for a Curved Ultrawide monitor now with ~2160p height... but I literally can only find 1 ultrawide monitor with these specification. Which isn't curved. 

I mean... why aren't there any? And then I'm not even filtering on Hz / colors / other features yet.

There must be a reason... who can explain? : )

(edited: ultrawide != widescreen)

So -- correct me if I'm wrong -- but if we're talking Ultrawide...

Example: Dell U4919DW 5120 x 1440

The equivalent screen ratio resolution for 2160p would be: 7680 x 2160

There are some threads around town that have brought it up.

1 minute ago, thumper300zx said:

So -- correct me if I'm wrong -- but if we're talking Ultrawide...

Example: Dell U4919DW 5120 x 1440

The equivalent resolution would be: 7680 x 2160

There are some threads around town that have brought it up.

‘S a lot of pixels which will in turn require a lot of video card to drive it.  Big big video cards are expensive so there wouldn’t be a lot of them even if the electronics crunch wasn’t upon us.  Might just not be enough market.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.