Is this power supply compatible with my system

Rylyguy

Hi. I’m wanting to upgrade my pc some and need a new power supply. I found this one on Best Buy.  https://www.bestbuy.com/site/evga-600w-atx-12v-eps-12v-80-plus-power-supply-black/8511029.p?skuId=8511029  By the way I have a dell vostro 470 and am hoping to upgrade the gpu to a 1650 or 2060 depending on prices. I know it should be compatible but I just wanted to check that I wasn’t overlooking something. 

For PSU stuff I generally refer people to the PSU tier list

there are a bunch of other pinned topics in the PSU and Cases thread that might also be useful for figuring out how many watts you need, etc..

It’s perhaps not the most direct answer but it’s all I got :/

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

For PSU stuff I generally refer people to the PSU tier list

there are a bunch of other pinned topics in the PSU and Cases thread that might also be useful for figuring out how many watts you need, etc..

Thank you.

1 minute ago, Rylyguy said:

Thank you. I know that it’s enough watts I was just making sure that it had the right connectors. 

1650 won’t need any connectors at all.  It’s it’s main feature. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

29 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

1650 won’t need any connectors at all.  It’s it’s main feature. 

Oh ok. I thought it needed a 6 pin

1 minute ago, Rylyguy said:

Oh ok. I thought it needed a 6 pin

1660 needs a pcie power connector. 

1 hour ago, Rylyguy said:

Hi. I’m wanting to upgrade my pc some and need a new power supply. I found this one on Best Buy.  https://www.bestbuy.com/site/evga-600w-atx-12v-eps-12v-80-plus-power-supply-black/8511029.p?skuId=8511029  By the way I have a dell vostro 470 and am hoping to upgrade the gpu to a 1650 or 2060 depending on prices. I know it should be compatible but I just wanted to check that I wasn’t overlooking something. 

That's a horrible power supply. The one in your Dell is probably better.  And the 1650 doesn't need a 6-pin PCIe power connector.  

2 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

That's a horrible power supply. The one in your Dell is probably better.  And the 1650 doesn't need a 6-pin PCIe power connector.  

What’s bad about it? And the one currently in the pc is an old 430 watt

35 minutes ago, Rylyguy said:

The difference between a good and bad power supply is mostly about how long they can go before blowing and how much damage they are likely to do to the machine when they do it. (You may notice its ‘when’ not ‘if’) “Horrible” to me says “won’t last very long before it starts causing problems” and “can fry a lot of things when it goes”

11 hours ago, Rylyguy said:

Quality.  It's the poorest quality.  It's like you went to Newegg, sorted by cheapest first and then picked the first one with a brand you recognized.   Cheap caps, cheap fan, single layer PCB.  Essentially, that PSU is made to make maximum profit margin while selling for the lowest possible retail price.  It's garbage.

Your Vostro PSU can't be that old because the Dell Vostro 470 hasn't been out for very long.  Four years?  What brand is the Dell PSU?  Probably something top tier like Delta or Lite-On, I'm sure.

35 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Quality.  It's the poorest quality.  It's like you went to Newegg, sorted by cheapest first and then picked the first one with a brand you recognized.   Cheap caps, cheap fan, single layer PCB.  Essentially, that PSU is made to make maximum profit margin while selling for the lowest possible retail price.  It's garbage.

Your Vostro PSU can't be that old because the Dell Vostro 470 hasn't been out for very long.  Four years?  What brand is the Dell PSU?  Probably something top tier like Delta or Lite-On, I'm sure.

It’s an antec basiq 80+ 430 watt

24 minutes ago, Rylyguy said:

It’s an antec basiq 80+ 430 watt

That's not even the PSU that came with that Dell.

So someone put a 10 year old PSU in a four year old PC that probably had a better PSU in it to begin with.  BRILLIANT!

Helps having all of the information out there for us ahead of time.

So while Antec's Basiq line is hardly top of the line, it's STILL better than that EVGA and should be more than capable of powering a 1650.

11 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

That's not even the PSU that came with that Dell.

So someone put a 10 year old PSU in a four year old PC that probably had a better PSU in it to begin with.  BRILLIANT!

Helps having all of the information out there for us ahead of time.

So while Antec's Basiq line is hardly top of the line, it's STILL better than that EVGA and should be more than capable of powering a 1650.

Thank you. And the pc was given to me with that psu. All I’ve done is upgrade the ram. 

5 minutes ago, Rylyguy said:

@jonnyGURU could you recommend me a 500 or 550 watt psu?

What are you going to put in there (if not the 1650)?

43 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

What are you going to put in there (if not the 1650)?

Maybe a 2060 if I could get a good deal. And I’m also hoping in the future to do a motherboard and cpu swap too.