Which cpu should she get?

Go to solution Solved by Applefreak,

I would suggest going with an AMD Ryzen 3900 or 3950 bases system with 64 GB of RAM. You can keep the graphics card, it is perfectly adequate for her workloads. You could also reuse the existing RAM if it still ok, the difference in speed won't make much of a difference in professional applications but if you can get some 3200 or 3600 RAM (check with the manufacturer of the motherboard for compatible modules). 

I would only recommend an Intel based system if used heavily for triple-A games and the absolute best render times possible. However with cuda acceleration, those tasks will be mostly done by the graphics card so not a lot of benefit there.

A friend's system died, she needs to to get back to her schoolwork asap. 

Her uses :

Coding (college level) 

vehicle safety engineering 

3d vehicle modelling 

Live video Streaming (for communication to school) 

Light gaming

Her old system was an intel 8700k /gtx1080ti

Questions :

Should she stick with intel or get the Zen 3000 series ryzen? 

Can she reuse her gpu or should she get a new card? 

Silent Cerberus - Fractal Design Core500,Ryzen R7 3700x,Scythe Fuma 2,Gigabyte Aorus B550i Pro AX,Crucial Ballistix Elite 3200mhz cl16 16gb,Adata XPG SX8200 nvme 512gb m.2 ssd,Lexar NS100 1tb ssd,Red Dragon RX5700 8gb(bio flashed 5700xt),Corsair SF600 SFX 600w 80+ platinum F-Modular. 

Hades - dO.Ob Look into my eyes and see the dark eternal abyss that is your soul and pay for your hidden sins. 

Cerberus - the hell hound that guards the gates of hell. Once you enter you'll never escape. 

6 minutes ago, StrawberryShortCakes said:

Can she reuse her gpu or should she get a new card? 

The GPU is perfectly fine for her needs for now. As long as it still works I don't see a reason to change it.

6 minutes ago, StrawberryShortCakes said:

Should she stick with intel or get the Zen 3000 series ryzen? 

I'd suggest going with Ryzen, it's cheaper and you have better overall upgrade path with up to a 16 core 32 thread 3950X at the moment, plus additional support for Zen 3 in the future.

reuse the gpu.

AMD Ryzen, for sure!

what is her budget for cpu?

gpu is fine for cpu i would go with 3960x or 3970x

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

I would suggest going with an AMD Ryzen 3900 or 3950 bases system with 64 GB of RAM. You can keep the graphics card, it is perfectly adequate for her workloads. You could also reuse the existing RAM if it still ok, the difference in speed won't make much of a difference in professional applications but if you can get some 3200 or 3600 RAM (check with the manufacturer of the motherboard for compatible modules). 

I would only recommend an Intel based system if used heavily for triple-A games and the absolute best render times possible. However with cuda acceleration, those tasks will be mostly done by the graphics card so not a lot of benefit there.

1 hour ago, NDT said:

reuse the gpu.

AMD Ryzen, for sure!

what is her budget for cpu?

Her full system budget is $5000

1 hour ago, Applefreak said:

K will do. 

Silent Cerberus - Fractal Design Core500,Ryzen R7 3700x,Scythe Fuma 2,Gigabyte Aorus B550i Pro AX,Crucial Ballistix Elite 3200mhz cl16 16gb,Adata XPG SX8200 nvme 512gb m.2 ssd,Lexar NS100 1tb ssd,Red Dragon RX5700 8gb(bio flashed 5700xt),Corsair SF600 SFX 600w 80+ platinum F-Modular. 

Hades - dO.Ob Look into my eyes and see the dark eternal abyss that is your soul and pay for your hidden sins. 

Cerberus - the hell hound that guards the gates of hell. Once you enter you'll never escape.