First time Over Clocking... (nervous)

Hi All,

I have FINALLY finished my new build (its been a long time coming, very busy with travelling and work). Here is what ive put together thus far...

cpu: i7 4770k

motherboard: Asus Z87-C

GPU: Asus GTX 770 Direct CU2 OC

CPU Cooling: Corsair H110

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB

HDD: Seagate 2TB

Memory: 16GB Kingston HyperX Blu

PSU: Corsair HX650

This is my first proper gaming build. Ive never overclocked a CPU (or anything for that matter) before, and i just wanted to get some good tips on where to start, how to start, good links for step by step guide ect.

Ive looked at a few good videos on youtube and they talk about stress testing with certain software - so that kind of threw me off as i would have no idea what to download.

Is it all done withing the BIOS???

I also want to over clock my 770, but from what ive seen on youtube you can get a pretty decent oc just from using GPU tweak (but any tips for this would also be much appreciated).

Thanks in Advance!

TR

Hi All,

I have FINALLY finished my new build (its been a long time coming, very busy with travelling and work). Here is what ive put together thus far...

This is my first proper gaming build. Ive never overclocked a CPU (or anything for that matter) before, and i just wanted to get some good tips on where to start, how to start, good links for step by step guide ect.

Ive looked at a few good videos on youtube and they talk about stress testing with certain software - so that kind of threw me off as i would have no idea what to download.

I also want to over clock my 770, but from what ive seen on youtube you can get a pretty decent oc just from using GPU tweak (but any tips for this would also be much appreciated).

Thanks in Advance!

TR

This is a good guide, I used this when I was overclocking my CPU. 

http://lifehacker.com/a-beginners-introduction-to-overclocking-your-intel-pr-5580998

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

Hi All,

Thanks in Advance!

TR

Start by checking out Linus' video on Haswell overclocking :)

For the CPU I recommend following this guide:

For stress testing I would recommend you to use the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility

Only the overclocking is done in the BIOS. The stress testing is done in the OS:

For the GPU the steps are quite simple

You can also overclock the memory, but it doesn't have the biggest impact on performance

• Raise the memory clock with 25-50MHz
  • Stress test (See step two of GPU overclocking)
  • If stable, repeat
  • If unstable, scale back to last stable setting. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Thanks everyone! Much appreciated, i think i have what i need now to get started.

Don't copy any values/settings from guides, theyre not about your own chip because every chip is different.