Pc freezing at random times, no idea what to do

DavesADV

Hi, 

I've had this problem for a while now and I'm getting pretty desperate. 

My pc will, at random times: freeze completely, pull up a random solid color and make a consistent buzzing noise until I do a hard reset. 

It's happened multiple times while gaming, browsing Facebook, watching YouTube videos, even when idle. It's completely random and sometimes won't happen for several days. 

Most recently, I've been trying to play Mortal Shell, and while the game is working properly the aforementioned problem occurs every time after around 5 minutes of gameplay. 

I've stress tested both my graphics card and my cpu and they both seem to be fine, Temps included. 

I've tried switching ram slots with no success. 

Does anyone have an ide what the problem might be? 

Specs:

AMD FX 8370E with a Thermaltake Contax Silent 12 cooler, stock speeds

STRIX Direct CU II GTX 970

2X 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P

500W Cooler Master PSU

2X 7200RPM HDDs

Windows 10 Enterprise 1903

It could be your PSU.  I originally had a Cooler Master PSU in my build and got some freezes and restarts just before it died.  Fortunately it didn't take any other parts with it.

You can try pulling up Windows Reliability History and see if what errors are recorded, might give you a better idea of what to do.

Just now, Worstcaster said:

It could be your PSU.  I originally had a Cooler Master PSU in my build and got some freezes and restarts just before it died.  Fortunately it didn't take any other parts with it.

I thought it could be that too. 

I ran a benchmark(Cpu + Gpu) and it crashed with the weird color and sound. 

Then I thought I'd try disabling  the fans on my case and for some reason the benchmark worked fine after that, I let it run for around 10-15 minutes. 

10 minutes later, I fire up Mortal Shell and I get a brown screen and ear rape. 

1 minute ago, Applefreak said:

Could be the PSU, could just be the monitor or the cable to the monitor. 

Any idea how I'd go about troubleshooting the monitor? 

3 minutes ago, Riesling said:

You can try pulling up Windows Reliability History and see if what errors are recorded, might give you a better idea of what to do.

Pulled it up now, there's a bunch of errors saying Com Surrogate stopped working, not sure what that means. 

4 minutes ago, Riesling said:

The PSU's job is to not only reduce your household current to a level the PC can use, it also makes that current very consistent.  As a PSU is failing the power supplied and fluctuate and your PC components hate that.  As for trouble shooting the monitor, if you have a TV available you could just plug into the HDMI port and see if you are exporting to that.  If that doesn't work you could try a different HDMI or display port cable.

2 minutes ago, Worstcaster said:

I'm not sure rolling back the driver would solve theproblem here, this issue has been persistent through many nvidia driver updates. 

5 minutes ago, Worstcaster said:

The PSU's job is to not only reduce your household current to a level the PC can use, it also makes that current very consistent.  As a PSU is failing the power supplied and fluctuate and your PC components hate that.  As for trouble shooting the monitor, if you have a TV available you could just plug into the HDMI port and see if you are exporting to that.  If that doesn't work you could try a different HDMI or display port cable.

Can't test it out right now but will do when I have a TV available 

Just now, colmanhymx said:

Do you have another PSU you can test with?

Wish I did.. 

Maybe you can try looking at device manager to see if there are any drivers with the warning sign? I guess you can try updating the display or graphic card driver from there as well.

18 minutes ago, DavesADV said:

Wish I did.. 

You could try asking at a computer store to see if they can help you test it out with another power supply, I guess. Most shops should do that for you, although they might charge you a little.

8 minutes ago, Riesling said:

You could try asking at a computer store to see if they can help you test it out with another power supply, I guess. Most shops should do that for you, although they might charge you a little.

Depending on your location and your local store's return policy, it is possible to buy a new, mid-range power supply and test it out on your PC. If it solves your problem, keep it. If the issue still persists, return it. If your financial situation allows doing so, and that your local stores accept open returns that are not defects, I'd say this could be a way? 

1 hour ago, Riesling said:

Maybe you can try looking at device manager to see if there are any drivers with the warning sign? I guess you can try updating the display or graphic card driver from there as well.

All drivers seem okay, I just reinstalled my gpu drivers completely, I'll test it out now. 

1 hour ago, colmanhymx said:

Depending on your location and your local store's return policy, it is possible to buy a new, mid-range power supply and test it out on your PC. If it solves your problem, keep it. If the issue still persists, return it. If your financial situation allows doing so, and that your local stores accept open returns that are not defects, I'd say this could be a way? 

That is...not that bad of an idea actually. Will try it when I can, thank you. 

12 hours ago, DavesADV said:

That is...not that bad of an idea actually. Will try it when I can, thank you. 

Hope that solves your problem!