HELP! Workstation GPU for SOLIDWORKS

Hey guys, I'll try to keep this short..

Because I am not completely familiar with this specific area of purpose built workstations I'm looking for some recommendations for a workstations PC build for a friend, that's going to be working mainly in programs such as SolidWorks & MATLAB.

I am currently in search of a GPU. I was thinking about something like a NVIDIA Quadro P2200, or maybe even an RTX 2060/2070 (if I can get it for a nice price), however I am not completely sure about how they would compare to the P2200 for SolidWorks EXCLUSIVELY.

Please note that buying used is NOT an option for him at the moment - so that's out of the question. Also keep in mind I know that the P2200 is outdated and that RTX 4000 would be absolutely perfect, but it does not fit into our budget bracket.

Budget (including currency): $400 +/- $50 

Country: Slovenia, EUROPE (I don't mind you guys using USD, since US Dollars are kind of roughly equal to Euros)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: SolidWorks, MATLAB

Other detailsSo, he's going to be working with projects such as this one in this YT video (video should start at around 24 minutes, if not, skip): 

General idea:

CPU: Something like the Intel Core i7-10700K OR AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - AMD is cheaper, but Intel prob has better single core performance, which is what you want specifically for SolidWorks.. AMD might be best for overall PC performance (plus the boards are cheaper), so for budget reasons I'm leaning over to AMD

CPU Cooler: stock (if going with AMD) OR a nice Noctua air cooler. Or maybe even something else, there's tonnes of options anyways..

RAM: Probably going to go for 2 x 8GB (= 16GB, for now) DDR4-3200MHz+, can upgrade later to 32GB if needed. Might just go for 32GB anyways..

Motherboard: A nice B450/B550 board OR similar Intel supported board. Intel boards are usually more expensive, which is why I'm probably going for AMD (the money we save is going to be spent on GPU)

Video Card: NVIDIA Quadro P2200 OR RTX 2060/2070

Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2 NVME Solid State Drive - can't go wrong with that

Case: something like the NZXT H510, or similar - basically nice and cheap

Power Supply: need a little help with choosing decent low wattage PSU's

Please note:

I know that the NVIDIA RTX 3000 Series cards have just been released, but they are not available for purchase at this moment. Furthermore even the RTX 3070 would be quite a bit out of our budget, since, even though GPU's might be priced somewhere around MSRP in the US, they certainly are not priced like that here in my country.. e.g. GPU's here usually cost around $200 more than in the US. I also realise that new AMD CPU's are going to be released quite soon (along with Intel's response), but the issue relating to pricing explained above also applies to new CPU's as well. Let me also point out that we'd like to start building this system by the end of September. So waiting for an excessive amount of time unfortunately really isn't an option at this moment.

One more thing to note: He IS NOT a gamer. He told me himself, he isn't really planning to be gaming with this PC. It's going to be used exclusively for work and university/studying. So great overall/relating to the above mentioned workloads performance is an absolute priority. But I will agree that in the case of consumer GPU's being better anyways, that's a win-win situation, so might as well try some games on the thing as well.

I am kindly asking for some advice! Thank you all in advance.

I don't have experience with Solidworks, only Catia and Inventor and both run absolutely fine on a GTX or RTX card. If you don't need the Quadro features, you don't need a Quadro. 

So my vote goes for a 2060 S. You could also get a cheap GTX750Ti for the time and get an RTX3060 when it comes out but I honestly don't expect an benefit for Solidworks. He's probably even fine with a 750Ti lol. 

Then I say go with AMD for the threads, it's not just nice for Solidworks but also for multitasking in general. 

Last recommendations: get 2x16gb from the start. I often sit over 20gb usage at work and running out of ram is just no fun. I don't know what kind of projects he does but I'd hope it's bigger ones that actually justify a beefy PC. 

Edit: oh yeah, amd stock cooler is good, but not anywhere near a Noctua. Use the extra money you gained from AMD vs Intel to get a good cooler please. Having complete silence is very nice when doing CAD work. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

2 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

I often sit over 20gb usage at work and running out of ram is just no fun.

Hey @FloRolf thanks for the reply! You're right. We might just go for 32GB, since the price difference between the two options isn't that bad. 

Multiple people have mentioned that maybe 16GB is going to be a little low.

Thanks!

In terms of CPU I would go for Intel, with the fastest possible single core perf since unless that has changed in the latest versions that's what really matters for SW. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Here are a couple of AMD based builds I've quickly thrown together for him:

*There might be some mistakes here and there + the pricing is off for some items, but you get the general idea. All of the components are of high quality, have been proven to do the job extremely well and are nice and reliable. 

MOST EXPENSIVE 2070 (with a bit of bling): 

MORE RESONABLE 2070:

EVEN CHEAPER 2070: 

CHEAP 2060 BUILD: 

THE: "MAYBE I'D LIKE A 3600 BUILD..?":

UPDATE:

I forgot about the AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT, which is a nice and cheap (about $200) 6-Core CPU.. And I believe (if my memory serves me correctly) that it's single core performance should be somewhere in between the 9700K and 3700X

I just have to ask this because I am not sure I understood some of the comments on my other post saying I should just get the RTX 2060/70 when these benchmarks are showing the opposite.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3399-best-workstation-gpus-2018-for-adobe-premiere-autocad-vray-and-more

It seems like that the P2000 is better than even an RTX 2080 Ti in SolidWorks...

Sorry I just find some of these recommendations a bit confusing. 

Can someone explain?

Isn't navy better performing in solid works than most nvidia gamer card ? ...I watched the bench for the 3080 from linus and there's a slide with solid works that stood out for me and the rx 5700xt was beating them all ...  or I just don't understand the chart ?  Or maybe it's not representative of the real world performance maybe. 

image.thumb.png.9a295fea33710014ff0ee0082e32da17.png

I was wondering about that cause I'm trying to put up a solid works and master cam pc for a friend and I'm kinda in the same boat as you are.  Considering intel I5 10600k with 32gb ram at 3200 and maybe an rx 580 8gb while waiting for something else to be released. 

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD