Fan goes 100% speed as soon as i connect its RGB

Kakun

hi all

i have a coolermaster h500p mesh - https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-MasterCase-Mid-Tower-Ventilation/dp/B01MDS8L83

the 2 fans ( or one of them to be fair ) are starting to rattle and make noise. so i bought 2 new fans, Bitfenix Spectre Pro RGB 200mm https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0785MVMCP?linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&smid=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&creativeASIN=B0785MVMCP&tag=geizhalspre03-21&ascsubtag=VQl2g4q1ub87KNyEldU5eQ

when i connect them they work, i can control its speed via bios or in windows with my MSI software.

however, as soon as i connect its RGB ( which is working fine ) the fans spin to 100% and are not controlable anymore. and i dont really understand why. obviously its annoying AF when you have 2x 200mm fans at max speed right beside you on the desk all the time. so its basicaly 'unusable' for me.

but before i get new / different ones, i thought im gonna ask around here for help. because maybe its my fault and not the fans? having 1 broken fan is common. but 2? tho i dont see how it could be my fault. im using the same connectors as the included coolermaster 200mm rgb fans use. so it shouldnt be a problem. i also tried different connectors. but its the same everytime. when i connect the RGB, it goes 100% speed. as if the rgb connection draws too much power (?) and speeds up the fan. no idea how else to explain.

so is it my fault? if yes how can i fix? or do the fans just suck?

thanks.

PS if important: my Mainboard is b450 carbon gaming

your fans have a bad connection. sounds like the 12v RGB is shorting with the fan motor causing all 12v to be sent to the fan (maxing out the speed) 

it'll be a manufacturing defect. 

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

17 minutes ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

your fans have a bad connection. sounds like the 12v RGB is shorting with the fan motor causing all 12v to be sent to the fan (maxing out the speed) 

it'll be a manufacturing defect. 

ah hmm okay. so its not really my fault? its just a little strange how not one, but TWO new fans have this problem. so i thought it might be me. hmm

another thing is: if i JUST connect the RGB, the fan isnt spinning. and if i JUST connect the fan ( without RGB ) its normal/controllable.

so if the RGB is shorting with the fan motor, shouldnt it speed up the fans even if they are not connected? just asking, i dont know much about this.

anyway, i have a hard time finding 200mm RGB fans with good airflow. do you know any? i could always rebuy the coolermaster ones, but they have poor airflow and started to rattle after like 6 months, so im more interested in better ones.

but as i said, i have a hard time, seems like there are not many 200mm RGB fans out there. do you have any recommendations by any chance?

that can indicate a single line short, the fan motor circuit needs to have a complete circuit (it's like a loop) so with the fan motor connector unplugged and a RGB line "connected" or shorting to the fan motor there's nowhere for the circuit to complete. With the RGB unplugged there's only power coming from the fan motor connector so you have full control. 
both plugged in you have one loop with control from the fan motor connector and additional power from the RGB header looping through the fan motor to max it out.

it's most likely a manufacturing defect which effects a single production set of fans (assuming you bought both from the same retailer at the same time) so it's basically a "friday afternoon" set of fans.

https://www.amazon.com/EZDIY-FAB-800rpm-Hydraulic-Bearing-Computer/dp/B07VDWGNZB/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=ezdiy+200mm&qid=1600372853&sr=8-2

https://www.amazon.com/upHere-P200RGB-Hydraulic-Bearing-Computer-P200RGB/dp/B07MC7M4L3/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=uphere+200mm&qid=1600372836&sr=8-1

both are great, run on the 5V RGB header on your board (believe it's top right?) 

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

45 minutes ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

that can indicate a single line short, the fan motor circuit needs to have a complete circuit (it's like a loop) so with the fan motor connector unplugged and a RGB line "connected" or shorting to the fan motor there's nowhere for the circuit to complete. With the RGB unplugged there's only power coming from the fan motor connector so you have full control. 
both plugged in you have one loop with control from the fan motor connector and additional power from the RGB header looping through the fan motor to max it out.

it's most likely a manufacturing defect which effects a single production set of fans (assuming you bought both from the same retailer at the same time) so it's basically a "friday afternoon" set of fans.

https://www.amazon.com/EZDIY-FAB-800rpm-Hydraulic-Bearing-Computer/dp/B07VDWGNZB/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=ezdiy+200mm&qid=1600372853&sr=8-2

https://www.amazon.com/upHere-P200RGB-Hydraulic-Bearing-Computer-P200RGB/dp/B07MC7M4L3/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=uphere+200mm&qid=1600372836&sr=8-1

both are great, run on the 5V RGB header on your board (believe it's top right?) 

thank you  you have been a great help so far!

is there any way to daisy chain them or something? i need 2 of them but i have only one Jrainbow connector.

i do have a 3 way splitter that came with the case, but its only for 12v RGB.

are there any good 12v RGB  fans? preferable 3 pin instead of PWM as well, since i also have a 3 way splitter for  3pin fans. but this isn the end of the world. i can life without that.

but the RGB thing is another story. if i cant daisychain them then im forced to buy an 5v rgb splitter, and i wanna avoid paying more money than neccessary if possible.

btw i attached a pic of my mainboard, maybe im just stupid and i actually have enough header.

EDIT: i just realized for the upHere fan there is only 1 left in stock in my country ( germany ) so this one is already out of the window im afraid

2020-09-17 22_25_47-E7B85v1.2.pdf.jpg

14 minutes ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z122WPT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_iPKhFb30R4B6W

could use a splitter

I haven't run into any 12v RGB fans I would trust, the 5v stuff seems to be an accepted standard for fans and 12v for strips. 

damn ok.

the problem is, the EZDY fans are worse than the stock coolermaster ones when it comes to airflow. only 106 CFM @31 dbA vs coolermasters  153 CFM @28 dbA.

the other one you linked are out of stock, and i have no info at all when it comes to airflow, it doesnt say anything.

im just so mad that the bitfenix ones arent working. i bought them in the first place because their statistics are actually insane.  253 CFM @27,5 dbA. thats crazy. that means i could run them at MUCH MUCH lower speed for the same amount of airflow, as my current ones have at max speed.

too bad they are not working correctly.

im thinking about rebuying them to give them a last chance, but i feel like 2 broken fans from the same company is a bad sign. idk what to do. oh well

still, thanks for your help man.

guess i gotta think about this for a week or two

20 hours ago, Kakun said:

hi all

i have a coolermaster h500p mesh - https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-MasterCase-Mid-Tower-Ventilation/dp/B01MDS8L83

the 2 fans ( or one of them to be fair ) are starting to rattle and make noise. so i bought 2 new fans, Bitfenix Spectre Pro RGB 200mm https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0785MVMCP?linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&smid=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&creativeASIN=B0785MVMCP&tag=geizhalspre03-21&ascsubtag=VQl2g4q1ub87KNyEldU5eQ

when i connect them they work, i can control its speed via bios or in windows with my MSI software.

however, as soon as i connect its RGB ( which is working fine ) the fans spin to 100% and are not controlable anymore. and i dont really understand why. obviously its annoying AF when you have 2x 200mm fans at max speed right beside you on the desk all the time. so its basicaly 'unusable' for me.

but before i get new / different ones, i thought im gonna ask around here for help. because maybe its my fault and not the fans? having 1 broken fan is common. but 2? tho i dont see how it could be my fault. im using the same connectors as the included coolermaster 200mm rgb fans use. so it shouldnt be a problem. i also tried different connectors. but its the same everytime. when i connect the RGB, it goes 100% speed. as if the rgb connection draws too much power (?) and speeds up the fan. no idea how else to explain.

so is it my fault? if yes how can i fix? or do the fans just suck?

thanks.

PS if important: my Mainboard is b450 carbon gaming

When I am reading this, I am assuming you did not connect the fan while the board was powered? The exhaust fan on my first rig would do that if I unplugged or plugged it in while the system was powered, so don't do what I did when I was extremely naive. If you did not do that, I would suggest flashing the BIOS before considering anything else.

9 hours ago, B!gMeme said:

When I am reading this, I am assuming you did not connect the fan while the board was powered? The exhaust fan on my first rig would do that if I unplugged or plugged it in while the system was powered, so don't do what I did when I was extremely naive. If you did not do that, I would suggest flashing the BIOS before considering anything else.

i connected the fans while i was in windows, so i could change the colors,speed etc ( or atleast tried to ) . i also connected them when i was in bios.

but i never connected them while the system was completely powered off. you think it has something to do with that?

1 hour ago, Kakun said:

i connected the fans while i was in windows, so i could change the colors,speed etc ( or atleast tried to ) . i also connected them when i was in bios.

but i never connected them while the system was completely powered off. you think it has something to do with that?

ok i just tested it. turned off pc + power supply. connected fan + rgb. still 100% speed. no matter which speed i set the bios too or my MSI software in windows. its always 100%. on both fans.

• 7 months later...
On 9/19/2020 at 3:16 AM, Kakun said:

ok i just tested it. turned off pc + power supply. connected fan + rgb. still 100% speed. no matter which speed i set the bios too or my MSI software in windows. its always 100%. on both fans.

Hi Kakun, did you try buying the same fans again and seeing if they had the same problem? I just bought the 140mm version and it behaves the same way...