Upgrade from 1080 to 3080 worth it?

ThatExceptionThough

Hey guys, I am currently running a 3 year old 1080, with a 4K screen and a 4K TV. Frame rates are around 30-40 in most games, if you are a bit creative with the settings.

Problem: I really like good graphics :D and I have seen the charts in the tests yesterday, which basically said "between 2-2,5 times faster"...

Do you think I will be fine with the 3080, or should I wait for a version with more VRAM (3080 TI/Super)?

3090 is not really an option, thanks to the price

Depends. If you dial settings down to medium with a few things on high you should be able to run anything at 4k and it'll look the same as Ultra, but if you want to turn up things like ray tracing, not use DLSS (render everything at native 4k), then yeah, it'll be a sizeable upgrade.

Oh and if your 4k monitor or tv is 120hz, then yes, definite upgrade.

Thanks guys, I am sold! I actually thought that DLSS 2.0 is a pretty nice thing, looking in the future. I have never seen Raytracing live, is it worth it?

The 3080 will be worlds better and have easily more than double the performance on 4K. Even for my 1080Ti it will be a significant upgrade in any way.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Just now, ThatExceptionThough said:

Thanks guys, I am sold! I actually thought that DLSS 2.0 is a pretty nice thing, looking in the future. I have never seen Raytracing live, is it worth it?

Just have a look at the game "Control", which is one of the first games to use all the Ray Tracing and DLSS features. It's absolutely gorgeous. As every new GPU will support Ray Tracing it will become more mainstream and many more games will support it in the future.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.