IF you plan to buy a 3080 for 1080p...

i_build_nanosuits
3 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

OHH it will be no worries there i'm considering one myself since i do both high end VR sims and 1440p high refresh gaming...the 3080 is far from overkill for 1440p it'll just age well IMO.

I recall people telling me to go for 2K when I bought the 980TI

Went with 1080p high refresh rate instead, I would have had to replace it years ago since right now that card can barely handle 1440p.

I am worried that for 4K people are going to fall in the same trap, It'll definitly work, but not everyone can pay 700-800$ for a GPU to replace it next gen because your game starts dipping below 60FPS

https://www.tomshardware.com/features/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-ampere-cpu-scaling-benchmarks

If ur running a 1080p display, make sure u have a strong CPU, also consider rendering at a higher resolution, if the game doesnt support that then use DSR.

If u have a old CPU, u should most certainly render at 4k.

Regardless of what u aim for, make damn sure u have a good Display or its all a waste.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

39 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

i'd say tell your friend to read the whole thread i already said what i had to say to the gentlemen looking for 144fps earlier.

OHH it will be no worries there i'm considering one myself since i do both high end VR sims and 1440p high refresh gaming...the 3080 is far from overkill for 1440p it'll just age well IMO.

how on earth are you a trusted avisor when you listed benchmarks for fps at 1080p without even mentioning the CPU??

If u want to aim for high refreshrates u need high single core, the cpu used in the video is not comparable to an intel CPU which much higher single core.

All your points are invalid.

2 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

you are aware of the fact that many games even with 15 times more GPU performance will STILL not run at 144hz right?!

Because there is the CPU, and the rest of the system and game optimization and what not.

I've let go from the 144hz goal LONG ago...when i realized MANY games will NOT run at 144FPS even with reduced settings and resolution...that's why they invented VARIABLE REFRESH RATE MONITORS (AKA Gsync and Freesync) so that way even with 90 to 110FPS games do feel STUPID smooth.

TLDR: Get over your 144hz thing...it's irrelevant.

it seems like to me reading this that you haven't upgraded your cpu in 10 years.

You realise some people actually have decent cpu's right? People can actually run stuff at 240fps+ and be limited by gpu.

1 minute ago, The Torrent said:

it seems like to me reading this that you haven't upgraded your cpu in 10 years.

You realise some people actually have decent cpu's right? People can actually run stuff at 240fps+ and be limited by gpu.

i have 8700K at 5ghz is it something i should upgrade then?

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

i have 8700K at 5ghz is it something i should upgrade then?

if u want 240hz deffo upgrade.

And considering you cant even hit 144fps with that 100000000% DEFFFFFFOOO upgrade. 

Your cpu is nearly 3 years old. Do not assume that people dont have a better cpu than you and cant get higher fps than you because most people looking at 3090/3080 maybe even 3070 definitely do. Not everyone is in the same situation as you AT ALL.

Just now, The Torrent said:

if u want 240hz deffo upgrade.

And considering you cant even hit 144hz with that 100000000% DEFFFFFFOOO upgrade. 

wait but i tought INtel is still on the SAME architecture and per clock performance is still THE SAME even on the latest CPU which is a TOP gaming performer...and i also was lead to believe that 12 thread CPU should be enough for most games...what am i not getting? How would upgrade my CPU, to another CPU that perform no better in games would improve my FPS?

How experienced are you in regards to those things may i ask?

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Just now, i_build_nanosuits said:

wait but i tought INtel is still on the SAME architecture and per clock performance is still THE SAME even on the latest CPU which is a TOP gaming performer...and i also was lead to believe that 12 thread CPU should be enough for most games...what am i not getting? How would upgrade my CPU, to another CPU that perform no better in games would improve my FPS?

If you want more fps, u need higher single core speeds.

I'm experienced enough to not say that 144hz is not possible on modern systems lmao. I'm experienced enough to not take screenshots from a youtube video and post acting like they are definite proof without even mentioning the hardware used to conduct these tests.

If you want more fps, u need higher single core speeds.

I KNOW but there is NO single core speed faster than 8700K 5.0GHZ YET! ar least nothing to write home about...maybe some CPU can get to 5.2ghz but then that's it...

I KNOW but there is NO single core speed faster than 8700K 5.0GHZ YET! ar least nothing to write home about...maybe some CPU can get to 5.2ghz but then that's it...

are you ok? do u know 10900k for example can do 5.3ghz on single core without oc?

are you ok? do u know 10900k for example can do 5.3ghz on single core without oc?

do you know that the performance difference is still EXTREMELY marginal when comparing a 5.3ghz CPU to a 5.0GHZ CPU in gaming? Omg...

do you know that the performance difference is still EXTREMELY marginal when comparing a 5.3ghz CPU to a 5.0GHZ CPU in gaming? Omg...

send some benchmarks of cpu limited low resolution high fps games and then ill believe you.

2 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

I think many people are missing the point.  Digital Foundry's newest video, for example, points out that even the 10900k is bottlenecking some games in both 1080p AND 1440p.  i_build_nanosuits correctly points out that his OC'd 8700k is close enough on par with the 10900k & has superior single-thread performance to a 3950x, meaning therefore that there is no headroom for him left to upgrade the CPU in a 1080p or 1440p world.  If you don't upgrade your monitor and/or wait for next gen CPU to release, the 3080 is literally untouchable by any existing CPU in games running at lower resolutions.

send some benchmarks of cpu limited low resolution high fps games and then ill believe you.

like what?! you're probably thinking call of duty or fortite or csgo or some stuff like that where 'im thinking like far cry 5, RDR2, some newer assassin's creed and stuff..GAMES...AAA stuff.

i mean first you say that there is no cpu any higher than 5ghz. then you start defending that the difference is marginal without proof without even admitting you was wrong, You know what they say about flogging a dead horse. I'm done i think.

i mean first you say that there is no cpu any higher than 5ghz. then you start defending that the difference is marginal without proof without even admitting you was wrong, You know what they say about flogging a dead horse. I'm done i think.

omg ok you're getting under my skin now son i'm gonna leave it at that and just gently pull out. have a good one!

2 minutes ago, Zenith_X1 said:

I think many people are missing the point.  Digital Foundry's newest video, for example, points out that even the 10900k is bottlenecking some games in both 1080p AND 1440p.  i_build_nanosuits correctly points out that his OC'd 8700k is close enough on par with the 10900k & has superior single-thread performance to a 3950x, meaning therefore that there is no headroom for him left to upgrade the CPU in a 1080p or 1440p world.  If you don't upgrade your monitor and/or wait for next gen CPU to release, the 3080 is literally untouchable by any existing CPU in games running at lower resolutions.

like what?! you're probably thinking call of duty or fortite or csgo or some stuff like that where 'im thinking like far cry 5, RDR2, some newer assassin's creed and stuff..GAMES...AAA stuff.

Here, ima do what you did but im actually gonna mention the cpu too.

unknown.png

yep i am thinking call of duty. Who on earth wants 240hz on far cry? high refresh rate is for competitive games thats exactly what its for.

Read my post just above yours.  I think it's fair to day that spending $500 for a few percent uplift in CPU performance is unwise

1 minute ago, Zenith_X1 said:

Read my post just above yours.  I think it's fair to day that spending $500 for a few percent uplift in CPU performance is unwise

considering he cant hit 144hz with his 8700k is what that post was regarding, You have to read the entire discussion to get things like that. Read my previous posts.

yep i am thinking call of duty. Who on earth wants 240hz on far cry? high refresh rate is for competitive games thats exactly what its for.

And...So....FOR THESE TYPE OF GAMES"....you don't NEED anywhere NEAR a RTX 3080 to get 240FPS at 1080p....YOUR POINT?!?!
GET OVER IT NOW :)

And...So....FOR THESE TYPE OF GAMES"....you don't NEED anywhere NEAR a RTX 3080 to get 240FPS at 1080p....YOUR POINT?!?!
GET OVER IT NOW :)

and again. You are wrong...

Did you even look at that photo attached in my comment?

considering he cant hit 144hz with his 8700k is what that post was regarding, You have to read the entire discussion to get things like that. Read my previous posts.

I mean that should be fine.  If you go beyond the 144Hz limit of that panel then G-Sync stops working the tearing comes back.  That's why I artificially limit my games to 144Hz max

Just now, Zenith_X1 said:

I mean that should be fine.  If you go beyond the 144Hz limit of that panel then G-Sync stops working the tearing comes back.  That's why I artificially limit my games to 144Hz max

you seem to have answered a different comment.

If you read one of nano's earlier comments, he say he is unable to hit 144hz in any games with his 8700k. My comment was regarding the fact that he should probably upgrade if he cant ( if x dont work, x +1 should), not regarding to the specific cpu. I linked a photo of a realtime 'benchmark' comparison of call of duty 2080 vs 3080. I mean for people aiming for 240hz which is a pretty large market now, the 3080 is totally viable at 1080p. Its wrong to assume its rubbish for 1080p as then your ignoring the entire 240hz+ market or your assuming everyone who has a 240hz monitor and enough money for a 3080 has a garbage cpu which is just dumb...

Anyway, the fact that the 10900k is similar in single core to an oc'd 8700k reinforces my point, because it links more up with the 'benchmark' photo I linked.

you seem to have answered a different comment.

If you read one of nano's earlier comments, he say he is unable to hit 144hz in any games with his 8700k. My comment was regarding the fact that he should probably upgrade if he cant ( if x dont work, x +1 should), not regarding to the specific cpu. I linked a photo of a realtime 'benchmark' comparison of call of duty 2080 vs 3080. I mean for people aiming for 240hz which is a pretty large market now, the 3080 is totally viable at 1080p. Its wrong to assume its rubbish for 1080p as then your ignoring the entire 240hz+ market or your assuming everyone who has a 240hz monitor and enough money for a 3080 has a garbage cpu which is just dumb...

Anyway, the fact that the 10900k is similar in single core to an oc'd 8700k reinforces my point, because it links more up with the 'benchmark' photo I linked.

Ah I see.  Several benchmarks do indicate hard CPu bottlenecks (and I mean HARD, see image), but it's also true that not all games (such as Doom Eternal) see such a hard bottleneck, and e-Sports titles are unlikely to have issues if they are well multi-threaded.  I think the biggest take-away I had is that with GPUs surpassing all existing CPUs in many newer titles, we've reached an era where we NEED to start lobbying game companies to design engines that take better advantage of multi-threading.  Core frequency just isn't going to improve as fast as Threadripper core counts will, haha

hard_limit.png

3 minutes ago, Zenith_X1 said:

Ah I see.  Several benchmarks do indicate hard CPu bottlenecks (and I mean HARD, see image), but it's also true that not all games (such as Doom Eternal) see such a hard bottleneck, and e-Sports titles are unlikely to have issues if they are well multi-threaded.  I think the biggest take-away I had is that with GPUs surpassing all existing CPUs in many newer titles, we've reached an era where we NEED to start lobbying game companies to design engines that take better advantage of multi-threading.  Core frequency just isn't going to improve as fast as Threadripper core counts will, haha

hard_limit.png

far cry is extremely cpu intensive so its difficut to talk about games like that, but yea I understand what you are saying.

But 1080p 3080 is completely viable imo when ur aiming for super high refesh rate and low cpu intensive games, because i mean face it 240hz is not gonna really be any good at all in a slow movement game like farcry or witcher 3 or even assassins creeds is it. Which is why I always max them for eyecandy. But if you remember the 240hz market they are very useful (or so the limited benchmarks so far show).

But we will find out soon enough.