Cable help

mikestrong88

One of the things I've always struggled with when building my PC is the psu cables. 

At the moment I have a modular psu (seasonic prime platinum) and an rtx 2060 super that takes an 8 pin connection. 

Planning on ordering the 3080 on release day and I know it has the new 12 pin power. My understanding is the box comes with a 12 pin to 2x 8 pin adapter until a better alternative comes up. 

I obviously have one 8 pin now but I can't for the life of me find another 8 pin cable. Could anyone point me in the direction of the cable I need to add into my PSU so I have what I need for when it's delivered? I managed to find an 8 pin to 8 pin in the psu box but it seemed to have one of the pins with nothing inside, so it was a 7 pin and it had dual 8 pins on the other end so that just confused me even more! 

13 minutes ago, mikestrong88 said:

One of the things I've always struggled with when building my PC is the psu cables. 

At the moment I have a modular psu (seasonic prime platinum) and an rtx 2060 super that takes an 8 pin connection. 

Planning on ordering the 3080 on release day and I know it has the new 12 pin power. My understanding is the box comes with a 12 pin to 2x 8 pin adapter until a better alternative comes up. 

I obviously have one 8 pin now but I can't for the life of me find another 8 pin cable. Could anyone point me in the direction of the cable I need to add into my PSU so I have what I need for when it's delivered? I managed to find an 8 pin to 8 pin in the psu box but it seemed to have one of the pins with nothing inside, so it was a 7 pin and it had dual 8 pins on the other end so that just confused me even more! 

What are the labels on the cable? Also what is the wattage of the psu? Chances are the 2 8pin ends are the 6+2pin gpu connectors and then the other 8pin is the cable that plugs into the psu. Should be labelled on the connectors themselves.

13 minutes ago, mikestrong88 said:

Your PSU comes with the cables.

You didn't list your exact PSU, but the Seasonic Prime Platinum 650W comes - for example - with four cables that all four have two 6+2 PCIE connections on it.

So your question is not clear to me. Do you have the PSU already? Which exact one is it? What exactly is the question you have about it?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

6 minutes ago, jaslion said:

What are the labels on the cable? Also what is the wattage of the psu? Chances are the 2 8pin ends are the 6+2pin gpu connectors and then the other 8pin is the cable that plugs into the psu. Should be labelled on the connectors themselves.

Yeah it does say psu one end and pcie the other end I think. I'm not home to check right now. The psu end is missing one of the pins, is that normal and is that the cable I need to use as my second 8 pin cable for the adapter. Psu is a 650w seasonic platinum. I know its under what they recommend for the 3080 but I'm going to see how i get on before buying a new one. 

7 minutes ago, minibois said:

Your PSU comes with the cables.

You didn't list your exact PSU, but the Seasonic Prime Platinum 650W comes - for example - with four cables that all four have two 6+2 PCIE connections on it.

So your question is not clear to me. Do you have the PSU already? Which exact one is it? What exactly is the question you have about it?

Sorry my mistake. Its the seasonic prime 650w platinum. I have one 8 pin (6+2) running to the 2060 now and I have found another cable that's 8 pin housings but one is missing on the psu end, and the other end has two 8 pin cables. Like split off. I wasn't sure if that's the cable I needed and if it wasn't then I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of the right cable I needed as mentioned in the firsg post. 

Just now, mikestrong88 said:

I have found another cable that's 8 pin housings but one is missing on the psu end

Don't worry about the PSU end. PSU's and their cables are more advanced than a simple pin to pin conversion cable from the PSU to the videocard.

1 minute ago, mikestrong88 said:

Its the seasonic prime 650w platinum.

That power supply comes with two cables, that all two have two 6+2 pin PCIE cables. Nvidia - as far as I remembered - recommends people to use separate cables, not cables with a split end (multiple 6+2 pin PCIE) at the end.

So grab another 6+2 pin PCIE cable from the box (if you only have one cable in use, you should have three left) and plug that into the PSU, then you can use one 6+2 pin PCIE connector from cable #1 (the cable already in use on your RTX 2060S) and one 6+2 pin PCIE connector from the cable you now newly plugged into the PSU.

Now you can take these two connectors and plug them into the dual 6+2 pin PCIE to 12-pin adapter cable that comes with the videocard.

image.thumb.png.5f17c68024ef8cba42577965c28cec25.png

It's the bottom cable in this list.

You already have one of these cables in your system, just grab the other cable you have left over, plug that into the PSU and now you have two cables in your system that both have two 6+2 pin PCIE connectors. Grab a single connector from both cables and you use that to power the RTX 3080.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, minibois said:

Don't worry about the PSU end. PSU's and their cables are more advanced than a simple pin to pin conversion cable from the PSU to the videocard.

That power supply comes with two cables, that all two have two 6+2 pin PCIE cables. Nvidia - as far as I remembered - recommends people to use separate cables, not cables with a split end (multiple 6+2 pin PCIE) at the end.

So grab another 6+2 pin PCIE cable from the box (if you only have one cable in use, you should have three left) and plug that into the PSU, then you can use one 6+2 pin PCIE connector from cable #1 (the cable already in use on your RTX 2060S) and one 6+2 pin PCIE connector from the cable you now newly plugged into the PSU.

Now you can take these two connectors and plug them into the dual 6+2 pin PCIE to 12-pin adapter cable that comes with the videocard.

image.thumb.png.5f17c68024ef8cba42577965c28cec25.png

It's the bottom cable in this list.

You already have one of these cables in your system, just grab the other cable you have left over, plug that into the PSU and now you have two cables in your system that both have two 6+2 pin PCIE connectors. Grab a single connector from both cables and you use that to power the RTX 3080.

My hero. 

Thank you for the effort there. I thought that possible could have been the cable but the missing pin threw me. The last thing I wanted was my shiny new 3080 to arrive and I didn't have enough cables. 

Awesome though, I'll run the second cable from the psu, and the original cable in place, into the adapter.