AMD Ryzen 7 Build for 1440p gameplay

First build in 8 years. I got back into video games during the pandemic by upgrading the GPU and SSD on my old i5-2400 to play Cities: Skylines.

However it still was no longer running the games I wanted to play, so I upgraded to a Ryzen-based build. Still waiting for new batch of GPUs to come out before I upgrade my GPU:

PCPartPicker Part List: See here

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  (Purchased For $286.19) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55 CFM CPU Cooler  (Purchased For $64.79) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $169.59) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  (Purchased For $61.48) 
Storage: Crucial MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $72.07) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $58.29) 
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER 4 GB Twin Fan Video Card  (Purchased For $190.19) 
Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $95.39) 
Power Supply: EVGA 500 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $47.69) 
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link Archer T5E PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter  (Purchased For $37.09) 
Monitor: LG 27GL850-B 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor  (Purchased For $508.79) 
Total: $1591.56
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-13 11:33 EDT-0400

Monitor is LG 27GL850. I love it! I really like Lian Li's case too. Images here

I've been playing Control, Cities: Skylines and Assassin's Creed: Odyssey. My purchase of a 3700X also got me a free copy of Assassin's Creed: Valhalla. Looking forward to getting Witcher 3 soon.

I am not too bummed about missing out on Zen 3, this rig should last me 4 years with a Radeon 6700XT\RTX 3060 Ti.

Did I end up spending a bit more than I should have? Yes. I guess I learned a lesson about future PC upgrades.

Future Upgrades: PSU with all-black cables, and GPU to support 1440p 144 Hz video games.

I will likely go for a semi-modular 80+ Bronze 650 W unit at the least, depending on what AMD\NVidia GPU I buy next year. Maybe a PCIE Gen 4 NVME SSD too when prices are more realistic.

As for my old i5-2400 build, I will re-assemble it and donate it to someone.

IMG_0224.jpeg

IMG_0229.jpeg

IMG_0231.jpeg

IMG-0208.jpg

IMG-0212.jpg

Edited by RaphaNadal
PC Part Picker List issues, added images

Just now, GravityHurts said:

Nice build. What was building in that case like, I've been considering using it.

Reaching the CPU power cable on the top of the motherboard was a  very slight struggle. I got it done though. 

SATA ports in the bottom left of the motherboard are hard to reach with the cable management bar in the ATX position, so had to change it to E-ATX position (even though my motherboard is ATX).

Cable management on the backside of the motherboard is quite good. Airflow is great, tempered glass side panels are good too. 

Case doesn't have a USB Type C port, that has to be purchased separately. This is a non-issue for me, as my motherboard doesn't have a USB Type C header. 

For the price, the case is hard to beat. I recommend it highly. There's way, way more places to put SSDs than I will ever need. 

For upgradability, add 32 GB of RAM to that list.  Some games are getting awfully close to using 16GB, and some games like Flight Simulator and Galactic Civilizations recommend 32GB already.  That list will only grow.

Liking the build, and I respect the 1650 Ti while waiting for new GPUs.  You can prob sell it too and recoup some of the cost.  No benchmarks out yet, but you might even be able to get away with a 3070 instead of a 3060 Ti since your 3700X shouldn't bottleneck either of those GPUs.  Also 1440p at 144Hz is glorious (that's what I have too), definitely gets the job done

Also I just bought that Lian Li Lancool II in white from my local Microcenter a couple days ago :)  Newegg was priced at $185 and I was like uhhhhh no. >_<

16 minutes ago, Zenith_X1 said:

For upgradability, add 32 GB of RAM to that list.  Some games are getting awfully close to using 16GB, and some games like Flight Simulator and Galactic Civilizations recommend 32GB already.  That list will only grow.

Liking the build, and I respect the 1650 Ti while waiting for new GPUs.  You can prob sell it too and recoup some of the cost.  No benchmarks out yet, but you might even be able to get away with a 3070 instead of a 3060 Ti since your 3700X shouldn't bottleneck either of those GPUs.  Also 1440p at 144Hz is glorious (that's what I have too), definitely gets the job done

Also I just bought that Lian Li Lancool II in white from my local Microcenter a couple days ago :)  Newegg was priced at $185 and I was like uhhhhh no. >_<

Had pay cuts when I bought the GPU, seemed like the best sweet spot for someone who's waiting for more money to come in.

2 minutes ago, RaphaNadal said:

Had pay cuts when I bought the GPU, seemed like the best sweet spot for someone who's waiting for more money to come in.

Definitely, like I said I respect it, 1650 gets the job done