Looking to upgrade my current setup for Warzone/MW. Suggestions?

NukedBread

So I currently have a system with a i5-4670, 16 gb DDR3, GTX 1660 Super. My game currently runs at around 60-70 fps (MP) and 55-65 fps (WZ) with almost everything turned down to low or very low at 1080p. Considering that 1660 super is not that low end of a card I would expect it run at much higher fps than what I am currently getting. Do correct me if I am wrong but I believe that the gpu is being bottle-necked by something else. What that something else is, I have no idea. I would like to know what I should upgrade in order to get relatively decent (70-90 fps) performance out of my rig for MW/Warzone.

For further details of the system see the screenshot below. All suggestions are welcome whether it is related to my specific topic or just something that you see wrong my my system. Thank you

Budget (including currency): unknown

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Modern Warfare/Warzone

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc):

image.thumb.png.b6f9186ef923ead1f2b13103cca592c9.png

What do your CPU and GPU usages look like in gameplay?

Also, 

2 minutes ago, NukedBread said:

Budget (including currency): unknown

that's anything but helpful

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

12 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

What do your CPU and GPU usages look like in gameplay?

Also, 

that's anything but helpful

The cpu averages around 95% and does peak to 100% at times and the gpu sits at around 35%-40%. Also the card is OCd using afterburner. The reason I put budget as unknown is because I am not sure of the parts I need to swap out and depending on what parts need to be changed I will set a budget and save up accordingly.

For the sake of having a budget, I would say around 500 CAD.

May not be the ultimate fix but you could try and remove the microcode stuff. Also if the game is running of a HDD it will slow down. For some perverted reason the game does not run fully in ram an needs a lot of date from the storage device. 

EDIT: I have similar performance with a GTX 960 @ 1080p (55 - 70)

You should have much higher FPS with your card.

4 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

May not be the ultimate fix but you could try and remove the microcode stuff. Also if the game is running of a HDD it will slow down. For some perverted reason the game does not run fully in ram an needs a lot of date from the storage device. 

What is microcode and how would I go about removing it?

4 minutes ago, NukedBread said:

The cpu averages around 95% and does peak to 100% at times and the gpu sits at around 35%-40%. Also the card is OCd using afterburner. The reason I put budget as unknown is because I am not sure of the parts I need to swap out and depending on what parts need to be changed I will set a budget and save up accordingly.

For the sake of having a budget, I would say around 500 CAD.

Well, there'd be two options if you want to upgrade: either you look for deals on used 4770Ks and 4790Ks, and throw one of those in your current board and maybe get a decent overclock going on it, or move to a new platform.

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $271.75 @ shopRBC
Motherboard MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $144.50 @ Vuugo
Memory G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory $64.99 @ Newegg Canada
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $481.24
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-12 19:17 EDT-0400  

In the meantime, make sure you get rid of all unnecessary hogs in the background that might use up your CPU, and if you've got something better than the stock cooler on the CPU, you could try a slight overclock.

I can't remember whether you could slightly bump the multiplier even on non-K SKUs back in the Haswell days, but if not, you could try raising the BCLK slightly (though that could affect the stability of other components, not just the CPU).

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Here is the list from intel with all the KB numbers of the windows updates to remove:

https://support.microsoft.com/de-at/help/4093836/summary-of-intel-microcode-updates

You can remove windows updates within the windows update tool or use control panel and the old applications tool.

Just checked on the Passmark website, my basic ryzen 3100 is almost twice the performance as your old intel chip. Upgrading to a new platform might be your best choice, to unlock the full potential of that graphics card.

12 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Well, there'd be two options if you want to upgrade: either you look for deals on used 4770Ks and 4790Ks, and throw one of those in your current board and maybe get a decent overclock going on it, or move to a new platform.

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $271.75 @ shopRBC
Motherboard MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $144.50 @ Vuugo
Memory G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory $64.99 @ Newegg Canada
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $481.24
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-12 19:17 EDT-0400  

In the meantime, make sure you get rid of all unnecessary hogs in the background that might use up your CPU, and if you've got something better than the stock cooler on the CPU, you could try a slight overclock.

I can't remember whether you could slightly bump the multiplier even on non-K SKUs back in the Haswell days, but if not, you could try raising the BCLK slightly (though that could affect the stability of other components, not just the CPU).

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I have a Hyper 212 on it instead of the stock cooler.

As for the upgrade option, it is most likely the better option for future use. There is used i5-9600K for $250 (which I can probably get down to 210 ish) and a Aorus Z390 pro Wifi for $180 (down to ~$150). Do you think this would be better or should I go for an ryzen?

2 minutes ago, NukedBread said:

As for the upgrade option, it is most likely the better option for future use. There is used i5-9600K for $250 (which I can probably get down to 210 ish) and a Aorus Z390 pro Wifi for $180 (down to ~$150). Do you think this would be better or should I go for an ryzen?

I wouldn't go for it. The 9600K lacks HT (or SMT in more AMD terms) and because of that, it already kind of gets overwhelmed in really CPU intensive games, like Battlefield 5 for example.

It is slightly ahead of the 3600 with a good overclock in several games that are more single-core focused, though I definitely see it aging better. You'll also have a much better upgrade path (on that note, Zen 3 is coming later this year, and will be compatible with B550).

35 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

I wouldn't go for it. The 9600K lacks HT (or SMT in more AMD terms) and because of that, it already kind of gets overwhelmed in really CPU intensive games, like Battlefield 5 for example.

It is slightly ahead of the 3600 with a good overclock in several games that are more single-core focused, though I definitely see it aging better. You'll also have a much better upgrade path (on that note, Zen 3 is coming later this year, and will be compatible with B550).

How about upgrading to ryzen 5 2600 and a b450 motherboard since AMD has said that zen 3 will be supported on 400 series motherboards?

I found a R5 2600 for $180 and a R5 2400G for $120 and pair either of them with a B450 motherboard. What do you think about that?

15 minutes ago, NukedBread said:

How about upgrading to ryzen 5 2600 and a b450 motherboard since AMD has said that zen 3 will be supported on 400 series motherboards?

I found a R5 2600 for $180 and a R5 2400G for $120 and pair either of them with a B450 motherboard. What do you think about that?

I'd take a 3300X or even a 3100 over the 2600 for gaming.

There will be Zen 3 support on select B450/X470 boards with a no-going-back beta BIOS, as in you won't be able to downgrade to an older BIOS revision if you want to use Zen 2/Zen+/Zen in that specific board.