Which RTX 3000 brands do you expect will be good?

Delicieuxz
3 minutes ago, GuruMeditationError said:

I know, it kind of looks like a toy. I think a lot of them do. :0/

I have to admit I do kind of like RGB but not how it's been used on the 3080 AIB's

I think strix ones are pretty decent, at least for the part you should see in most configs. The backplate is nice.20-09-u2f4l-ngrgk.png

The side view isnt too bad but, you can just turn off the RGB if need be.

20-09-prhco-muw1o.png

A vertical mount is a different story, definitely a subjective ugly/cool scale lol.

i7 - 6700k || Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti || Corsair Vengeance LED 32GB 3200Mhz || Corsair 760T White || Corsair HX850 || NZXT Kraken X62 || Asus Z170-A || Logitech Proteus Core 502 wireless || Logitech G915 TKL ||

36 minutes ago, Scase said:

I think strix ones are pretty decent, at least for the part you should see in most configs. The backplate is nice.20-09-u2f4l-ngrgk.png

The side view isnt too bad but, you can just turn off the RGB if need be.

20-09-prhco-muw1o.png

A vertical mount is a different story, definitely a subjective ugly/cool scale lol.

Yeah, I guess there is that i.e. that you can turn off the RGB.

I don't think the Asus Tuff looks too bad and the side view of the Gigabyte Eagle looks okay, but I just really like the 3080 Founders Edition. I think I might wait to pick one up however and not try and get one of the first run.

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

1 minute ago, GuruMeditationError said:

I don't think the Asus Tuff looks too bad and the side view of the Gigabyte Eagle looks okay, but I just really like the 3080 Founders Edition. I think I might wait to pick one up however and not try and get one of the first run.

Are there normally kinks in first-run GPUs that get sorted out after a bit - both regarding FE and AIBs?

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

2 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

Are there normally kinks in first-run GPUs that get sorted out after a bit - both regarding FE and AIBs?

I'm not 100% sure on that but I've been listening to Buildzoid and he seems to suggest that that's the case.

There are rumours that there's going to be a shortage of cards after launch because they've only done a short initial run; something to do with how many PCB's they can get from each wafer or some such thing. I'm not sure if they're going to re-tool for further production runs or if there'll be revisions but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if there were. There generally is with other kinds of hardware and I've had a few graphics cards in the past that have revision numbers on them.

I think it might be worth waiting and getting a later card, but don't wait so long that you miss out if you want one because at some point they do go out of production so you might be forced to use the second hand market. Also, from what I'm reading there are often driver issues at launch and it takes time for the drivers to be revised and streamlined. All in all, waiting until next year might not be the worst idea.  

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

18 minutes ago, GuruMeditationError said:

I'm not 100% sure on that but I've been listening to Buildzoid and he seems to suggest that that's the case.

There are rumours that there's going to be a shortage of cards after launch because they've only done a short initial run; something to do with how many PCB's they can get from each wafer or some such thing. I'm not sure if they're going to re-tool for further production runs or if there'll be revisions but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if there were. There generally is with other kinds of hardware and I've had a few graphics cards in the past that have revision numbers on them.

I think it might be worth waiting and getting a later card, but don't wait so long that you miss out if you want one because at some point they do go out of production so you might be forced to use the second hand market. Also, from what I'm reading there are often driver issues at launch and it takes time for the drivers to be revised and streamlined. All in all, waiting until next year might not be the worst idea.  

My primary concern on waiting is, with how limited the stock is at first, how long will it be before they are restocked. Couple that with the fact that the 3080's are apparently etherium mining machines I fear another potential shortage due to mining.

I'm building a new rig with the new 4th gen Ryzens so if I wait on the card, by the time I can pick up the rest of the PC there likely won't be any 30xx cards, and the few there will be, will likely be WAY above MSRP.

i7 - 6700k || Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti || Corsair Vengeance LED 32GB 3200Mhz || Corsair 760T White || Corsair HX850 || NZXT Kraken X62 || Asus Z170-A || Logitech Proteus Core 502 wireless || Logitech G915 TKL ||

9 minutes ago, Scase said:

My primary concern on waiting is, with how limited the stock is at first, how long will it be before they are restocked. Couple that with the fact that the 3080's are apparently etherium mining machines I fear another potential shortage due to mining.

I'm building a new rig with the new 4th gen Ryzens so if I wait on the card, by the time I can pick up the rest of the PC there likely won't be any 30xx cards, and the few there will be, will likely be WAY above MSRP.

Okay, that does put a new complexion on things. I thought the bottom had fallen out of the whole crypto currency thing.

That's a pain.

I guess I can afford to wait it out as I mainly play in 3D with 3D Vision and that's not compatible with ray tracing, so I don't really know what to say, other than maybe not look to me as an example of what you should do.

But yeah, I know, it sucks. I'm still on a 970 and was hoping the 3000 series was going to solve my frame rate problems, not just create more disappointment. :0/

Maybe I will try and get one at launch.

Just now, GuruMeditationError said:

Okay, that does put a new complexion on things. I thought the bottom had fallen out of the whole crypto currency thing.

That's a pain.

I guess I can afford to wait it out as I mainly play in 3D with 3D Vision and that's not compatible with ray tracing, so I don't really know what to say, other than maybe not look to me as an example of what you should do.

But yeah, I know, it sucks. I'm still on a 970 and was hoping the 3000 series was going to solve my problems, not just create more disappointment. :0/

Maybe I wall try and get one at launch.

Yeah estimates from benchmarks are showing the 3080 to be about 3-4x more efficient at etherium than a 2080Ti :s

My 1080Ti has lasted me this long, and it could last longer but, I plan on playing Cyberpunk with all the bells and whistles but a 6700k and a 1080Ti aren't gonna be able to handle that. No way in hell i'm waiting on what ever half assed attempt AMD make with Big Navi.

10 minutes ago, Scase said:

Yeah estimates from benchmarks are showing the 3080 to be about 3-4x more efficient at etherium than a 2080Ti :s

My 1080Ti has lasted me this long, and it could last longer but, I plan on playing Cyberpunk with all the bells and whistles but a 6700k and a 1080Ti aren't gonna be able to handle that. No way in hell i'm waiting on what ever half assed attempt AMD make with Big Navi.

Maybe Nvidia might implement a one per household rule for the Founders Edition cards...? ...as far as I know (but I could be wrong) the only way you can get the founders editions is by buying online from Nvidia's commercial site?

As for AMD, I'm tied to Nvidia because I need Nvidia for 3D Vision, so it's not an option for me.

I don't think my rig will run Cyberpunk, since early indications seem to point to it needing six cores, so there's a chance I'm not going to be able to play it until I upgrade, which isn't going to be for another couple of years. Like you, I'd like to play it with all of the eye candy, including ray tracing, which means in 2D but not for a while at least for me.

I just hope Nvidia keep turning out 3080's and make it a one or maybe two per household type deal; leave the AIB's to satisfy the Ethereum market.