Programming And You

NOXA

I've got a lot of free time on my hands as of late. I'm picking up HTML and CSS though some free resources over at YouTube. In my involvement with these two markup languages, I'm getting more interested in learning about the people that also share this as a hobby or professional field. 

• How'd you pick up programming as an interest?
  • Which programming languages do you know fluently?
  • What are the programming languages you are more involved with?
  • Got a learning resource they'd recommend for any programming  language? Preferably that you have first-hand experience with. 

Not a datamine account, I swear. 

24 minutes ago, NOXA said:

I've got a lot of free time on my hands as of late. I'm picking up HTML and CSS though some free resources over at YouTube. In my involvement with these two markup languages, I'm getting more interested in learning about the people that also share this as a hobby or professional field. 

Robotics class in high school. We used Vex and Lego Mindstorms using Robot C to program in C.

C style languages (C, C++, C#)

C#, C++. I like making games & want to do it professionally when I graduate.

• Got a learning resource they'd recommend for any programming  language? Preferably that you have first-hand experience with. 

Codecademy.com

Sololearn

Colleges. Prefered Community Colleges.

Textbooks. Everyone should buy 1 or 2 at the very least.

YouTube

Maybe something like Pluralsight, Digital Tutors, & Udemy but it varies from teacher to teacher if it's worth it. Basically just premium YouTube videos.

#1 learning is from documentation though. ReadMe & documentation.

Okay, 2 posts.

11 hours ago, NOXA said:

How'd you pick up programming as an interest?

As a professional developer the language has to be meaningful to learn. How much time will i loose learning it. Is it faster in 1 to many aspects to write. Does it have extensive support. As a professional you want to improve your work, not impede it. You don't have use for esoteric language or 1,000 millionth version of javascript base "framework"

11 hours ago, NOXA said:

Which programming languages do you know fluently?

Pascal, C++, C#, FoxPro, Delphi, VB, VB.Net, Java, Basic/Basica (legacy systems)

11 hours ago, NOXA said:

What are the programming languages you are more involved with?

C#. Mostly due that all major CAD uses either C# or VB.NET and most robots interface through .NET (some are java bases but rarely nowaday)

12 hours ago, NOXA said:

Got a learning resource they'd recommend for any programming  language? Preferably that you have first-hand experience with. 

i would say W3schools, codecademy, and renown textbook.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2020 at 1:23 AM, NOXA said:

Funny enough, I wanted to learn to hack because it looked cool from watching programs. I then watched a bunch of begginer guides into cyber security and many of them talked about the web and web servers.

So that got me interested and then I decided to learn about these and that got me into web development. I started learn HTML and CSS, and JavaScript and now I'm still learning it, so that's me.

One thing that I have been recommended is finding the official website of the language and seeing if they have a tutorial for the language. Python and C# are good examples, python's website basically teaches you everything and C#'s even teaches you to use the Visual Studio IDE.

System

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

Case: Phanteks eclipse P400A

Motherboard: MSI B550 Gaming Carbon WiFi

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 TI Gaming X Trio

RAM: 16GB XPG D60G CL16 3200MHZ

PSU: Sharkoon SilentStorm Cool Zero 650W

Storage: Crucial P2 1TB

I started from an interest in school and during school holidays I would make php text based games.

Nodejs and python.

Nodejs (work creating a financial crm) and python for quick scripts for work and also data analysis

Got a learning resource they'd recommend for any programming  language? Preferably that you have first-hand experience with.

Not a resource but a tip, don't get sucks into which language to learn.

They are tools and you use the right one for the job.

Learn about design patterns and data structures things that will help you write maintainable code.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

On 9/10/2020 at 7:23 PM, NOXA said:
  1. It gives me something to talk about with my father.
    1. More anecdotally, my first brush with "programming" was embedding Javascript games into HTML files that I kept on a thumb drive so I could still play my favorite games in school.
  2. C#, Brainfuck
    1. PIC as well. But that's neither here nor there. Nor anywhere. Use ARM.
  3. C#
  4. Language specific, just google "C#" and go read Microsofts website. They really raised the bar for what software documentation should be.
    1. Programming specific, it's kind of hit or miss. Surprisingly, once you learn the basics, you learn the most from stack exchange and other similar resources while you are actually working through projects.
    2. If you have a local university with a computer science major, see if they publish their textbook listings for the whole course. That will give you a good idea of what formally educated programmers know, and even where to get that information from in a textbook format.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2020 at 2:23 AM, NOXA said:

It mostly started out for me when I was still in primary school (grades 4 - 7), I already had a general love for computers and games. So I got curious about how to make games and stuff and so I started to get interested in programming.The interest solidified after I took IT as a subject from 10th grade up until now. And even tho I still love IT in general and I also love to do computer technician and support stuff, my main interest would still be programming.

Only Delphi Pascal at the moment

Currently Delphi Pascal but I've also dabbled in HTML, CSS, JS and I'm going to learn about them more next year when I go study web development.

Well I do recommend W3Schools and freeCodeCamp if you want to go the web development route like I am. But with Delphi I would recommend Delphi Basics as reference and Mr Long's vids on Youtube to learn about Delphi.

Back when I was a kid, you could make your own profile layouts on Neopets, which I was deeply interested in at the time.
It was a foothold into programming, although it being just HTML and CSS isn't actually programming; it's just a markup language and stylesheeting, but it was enough to interest me into eventually picking up actual programming languages.

I'm quite fluent in PHP, JavaScript, and Python.

Aside from the three named above, C++ would be a language that, as of the beginning of this year, I've recently be come more involved with,

Got a learning resource they'd recommend for any programming  language? Preferably that you have first-hand experience with.

It depends greatly on the language.
There are some websites, such as CodeCademy, that offer interactive tutorials and walkthroughs on a variety of languages, which is nice, but at the end of the day, there is no better resource the a language's official documentation.

On 9/11/2020 at 3:23 AM, NOXA said:

When I was around 8 years old went with my father to a family friend who has a home computer (think commodore like machine) which loaded games from cassette tapes. We were relatively poor so no way we could afford to buy one and it was just after communism ended. 

Anyway, went from time to time to my father's work (he was chemist now retired) where they had a computer lab they used mainly to type research papers and stuff like that, and got into Mario, Heretic, Duke Nukem, but also had a colleague of my father show me Borland Pascal and how they calculated some chemistry stuff with it and draw some graphs in Pascal and showed me how to write code to draw lines and circles and crap on screen.

Went to some local IT club which had home computers (with Basic and cassette tapes) for a month or two but really got into programming at school, was lucky to get into a highschool with specialized programming courses ( basically, they taught less stuff like drawing, biology, history, and added more maths and programming/it related lessons, had around 12 hours of programming a week and 4 or 6 math hours if my memory is correct)

I learned Borland Pascal there for a couple years, then they tried to tech us C++ for a year (i didn't like it) and FoxPro (database)... 

I learned HTML and some basic CSS on my own at home, using pirated manuals, and in the later years, before university and at university I learned Visual Basic 6, because it was a good programming language to make quick applications (made some extra cash as a freelancer, to support me during university)

Made enough money from Visual Basic 6 

At university, I also started to learn PHP again from pirated manuals and by following examples in books, and making my own websites and also from modifying existing code (for example torrent tracker website source code).  

In the process I also learned MySQL and MS SQL (fairly similar). Javascript is also fairly easy to learn the basics of ... don't consider myself even a mid-level programmer at it, but good enough to write something up if needed. 

Nowadays whenever I have some spare time, I try to learn some stuff about Go (golang), as i like how easy it is to have lots of parallel things running in parallel. I keep thinking of rewriting something like Calibre in Golang, or maybe having a go (no pun intended) at converting OpenTTD to Go, as right now it's fairly single threaded and for example, when I'm on the road and have to work with an old core2duo laptop, some of the big maps don't work (the game lags behind and server kicks me out)

Python would be interesting to learn, but I don't know...  I never was a fan about languages which force you to write code in a specific way, which care about indentation and all that, and at this point I don't want to learn another language which is interpreted (doesn't produce a native executable).  I'd rather focus my free time on Go which can make executables that don't depend on runtimes, or even WASM binaries that could run in browser... fun. 

Resources... go to library and borrow some programming books (or find some books in the usual places) and actually do the examples in the book. I'd also encourage anyone to not just jump directly into a complex programming language but to start with some basics of programming, algorithms, learning about data types, working with strings, with arrays, dictionaries, some basic algorithms like sorting numbers, learn about concepts like functions and classes and recursivity, single linked lists and double linked lists...  I would say learn about pointers but while important, there's a lot of programming languages which don't have pointers at all. 

Python is good for a beginner, lots of documentation and manuals and online lessons and free youtube video tutorials available for it. Once you get the basics, you will find it easy to adapt what you learned to (most of) other programming languages, with their own quirks and restrictions and different takes on some things.