We made the perfect couples PC!

CPotter

Looking for similar solution and before this video didn't gave much thoughts for set-up with virtualization.

What are the benefits for home use to run two systems via hyper-visor instead of sharing one as long as it is the same? (don't feel comfortable to waste memory, especially considering playing the same game at the same time sometimes)

Are there some drawbacks in sharing GPU instead of having isolated one per user? (want to remove old GPU from my system to reduce heat/power usage, but now not sure)

Hi, I'm interested in a similar project. I would like to use my main pc and running a nas with the same machine. I have a Ryzen 5 2600, 16gb of ram, 1tb nvme, Radeon 580 8gb, bequiet system power 10 500w inside a meshify mini. Ideally i will allocate 2 core and 2 to 4 gb of ram for the NAS, for the NAS i was thinking at 2 Ironwolf 4tb, should be plenty for now (basically I have all the document that nowdays are digital like bills etc, plus my work document and my photos). At the moment I have stored on external usb hard drive and i have 250gb of data.

My concern are about power consumption and degradation of my component especially the GPU but also the CPU. Is the GPU turned on when only the NAS is on or it will always be turned on? The ryzen 5 2600 does not have an integrated gpu, will I need a gpu to passthrough the data? I wanted my "main pc" to use the 1tb nvme, will the NAS require storage for itself? Is this a viable solution or an asrock j4105 75€ + 8gb of ram 15€ + be system power 9 (350W or 400W) 40-50€ is a better choice?

On the other hand i could share with some relatives a Microsoft account and pay 20-30€/y and have 1tb of cloud + Office365

Any suggestion?

I will do this. I have a Ryzen 3600. Now I need a better mobo

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2020 at 5:01 PM, ekyona said:

Is there a guide on how to set this up? I’m interested in learning.

I'd like to see a guide as well.

• 2 months later...

i would also like to try this. Reading through the thread it looks like either VMware ESXi or using Microsoft Hyper-V would be the best bets for setting this up so I'm going to read up more on them. I was hoping that Linus would have more of a procedure on the software setup but I don't see any. 

edit: Linus did a 2 gamers 1 cpu build 5 years ago where he goes into detail on some of the unraid setup steps. 

On 12/1/2020 at 4:42 AM, supergiraffe said:

i would also like to try this. Reading through the thread it looks like either VMware ESXi or using Microsoft Hyper-V would be the best bets for setting this up so I'm going to read up more on them. I was hoping that Linus would have more of a procedure on the software setup but I don't see any. 

edit: Linus did a 2 gamers 1 cpu build 5 years ago where he goes into detail on some of the unraid setup steps. 

-Esxi is quite simple to setup

-Manages its gpu's quite well (its setting the baremetall start gui GPU free when used as a passtrough GPU)

- be aware of the AMD PCIE reset Bug 

- the only downside i see is that Enterprise Hardware works the best and customergrade Hardware needs some workarounds to function at all. (Right now i had Problems with nvme Drives from XPG and a freaking lot of cheap USB 3 Amazon PCie Expansion Cards)

CPU

Intel  i9 13900k

Motherboard

Asrock Z790 Taichi

RAM

Kingston Fury Beast DDR5 RGB 32GB 6000MHZ

GPU

MSI GeForce RTX 4090 GAMING TRIO 24G 

Storage

Samsung SSD 980 PRO 1TB 
Unraid NAS 10Gbit about 50TB HDD's, i713700k 64GB DDR5 crucial @ 5800Mhz 

Win11 Workstation

• 2 months later...
On 12/3/2020 at 9:26 AM, Domrockt said:

-Esxi is quite simple to setup

-Manages its gpu's quite well (its setting the baremetall start gui GPU free when used as a passtrough GPU)

on new hardware, ESXi 7 after 3 seconds: "no network adapters".

after some hours later it seams that ESXi will not have all the drivers for all the NIC chips.(Intel(R) I225-V on a Asus ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming +  i9-10850K).

so... ESXi can't be used on consumer base MBs.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm trying to (kind of) copy this project bu this time using EXSi but I can't make my 2070 Super to work properly on my VM? Any workarounds on this?

i7 8700k

16gb RAM

2070 Super + Intel Graphics 6xx for the host.

• 2 months later...

My big question floating in my head is, what about sound? how to distuingish between them , so each can use Headphones and only got there own sound.