We made the perfect couples PC!

CPotter

RapidYawningChickadee-max-1mb.gif

NCIS did it better!

2080S tho

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

I started watching thinking those two are soooo cute together. 

Then came the double entendres.   (They are "Married With Children" so why not  that goes to gether like a horse and carriage.) 

Then came 2x 2080's  If those support SLI and a 3070 is 2x the power of a 2080 Ti then certainly it should be 2x as powerful as 2 2080s in SLI.  Does SLI add linearly  (1  1=2)  or do they multiply somehow (1 1 = 2.5) .  Just a thought.

Then such a cute game.  Adorable but not useless video. This would be great for having something computationally intensive in one OS but like hands off.  Then gaming while you wait.  ... or camming on one computer while chatting on the other. 

Well done @Edzel Yago on the painting. The case looks beautiful.

Also, the people at Unraid's explanation and Linus' explanation of the problems of using AMD CPUs and motherboards (including 3rd generation Ryzen) for virtualisation describes exactly what myself and many others who have worked with enterprise systems have experienced. The compatibility and uptime is just not acceptable and causes projects to be halted and restarted. It's unfortunately something that those who push for Ryzen based systems ignore, or simply aren't aware of, but causes massive headaches for those involved.

9 minutes ago, Uttamattamakin said:

Then came 2x 2080's

A RTX3000 build would be more expensive ;) 

( only RTX 3090 supports SLI )

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

2 hours ago, Poet129 said:

Could have used the free tier of Vmware ESXi it has had that functionality for years.

I actually use it right now. I need to Upgrade my signature did a few changes until i learned about the quirks with esxi.

Just use "business grade" stuff like Intel u.2 nvmes and USB Controllers and esxi will Work very well and basicly Out of the Box. The Community is quite active and AMD is afaik working to.

I tryed proxmox and unraid for that purpose but esxi is working like Charm.

*Edit* updated sig *edit*

Iam far from rich , the Asus Board and my GPU is new the rest is bought used for relatively cheap.

Asus Sage 500€

RAM 300€

CPUs 500€/1

Intel SSD 110€

All 8 SAS Drives 90€

50€ the USB Controller 

CPU

Intel  i9 13900k

Motherboard

Asrock Z790 Taichi

RAM

Kingston Fury Beast DDR5 RGB 32GB 6000MHZ

GPU

MSI GeForce RTX 4090 GAMING TRIO 24G 

Storage

Samsung SSD 980 PRO 1TB 
Unraid NAS 10Gbit about 50TB HDD's, i713700k 64GB DDR5 crucial @ 5800Mhz 

Win11 Workstation

I personally have a similar KVM setup with libvirt/virt-manager on Linux Mint as a free solution (except for the hardware and electricity of course) and it's running perfectly. What are the (dis)advantages of using paid solutions like Unraid?

Proud supporter of your local Budweiser brewery.

What was the game they wore playing with the little blobs running around?

When I did my unRAID build I learned first hand about why you may want to go Intel lol.  I only got everything working because luckily some other user had the same issues and found solutions.

So if someone actually wanted to use a build like this, what would Linus's recommendation be for handing VM boot up?  I'm guessing he uses the unRAID phone app?

I wonder if the Ryzen issues were caused by the second GPU being in a chipset slot rather than a CPU slot. They mentioned that they had to put the cheapo card in the top slot for it to work correctly, and X570 only supports 2 x8 slots on CPU lanes. It also checks out that they were only having issues with the second VM.

Way back in the eGPU comparison video, they also had performance issues with Thunderbolt graphics cards that were running on chipset lanes:

I am a systems engineer and have a question. Why to use this unraid when you can have industry leading virtualization solutions for free for home use?

Vmware esxi (level 1 hypervisor) knows how to pass thru devices for ages and is free for home use. The stability and performance of this is one of the best.

Red Hat KVM (level 2 hypervisor) is also free. Download centOS or ubuntu, set kvm up and you can do pasthru as well.

HyperV (level 1&2) is also free, it is from microsoft. It is also awesome and does not require a lot of tweaking and can do passthru too.

There are so many great solutions for free and probably much more stable and faster than this unraid. Maybe easy of use, just click click and done? Honestly all of the above have gui and can be fairy easy to set them up.

I see a lot of people use freenas for their home nas, I dont get this as well. Just install centos and set up file/block storage and done. No bugs, better performance, more control over your server.

These are not so difficult to set up and believe me when I say they are MUCH better.

Do you guys know the name of the virtualization tool he used in this video? I didnt see it at all. I need something that may turn a single machine in multiple stations that can be used independently AND can be accessed by RDP and used from another machine. I tried vmware workstation for windows but the VM were sluggish as hell (w10 with workstation installed in it and a vm running windows 10).

Seems like his solution may be exactly what Im looking for.

It seems that the coupon code is not working for me is anyone else having issues ?

On 9/11/2020 at 11:04 AM, sg119 said:

Vmware esxi (level 1 hypervisor) knows how to pass thru devices for ages and is free for home use. The stability and performance of this is one of the best.

There are a lot of problems with making a passthrought for a gpu in it, for exsi 6.x its basically impossible with consumer grage gpus (nvidia at least) and I can totally why they decided to go with a paid software and has less problems with it  

Not to be Mr negative but this sucked.

It would have been more interesting to see each spouse choose their parts and paint, stickers what ever for separate desktops.

Build them separately in different rooms then compare the results.

4 hours ago, NervusBelli said:

There are a lot of problems with making a passthrought for a gpu in it, for exsi 6.x its basically impossible with consumer grage gpus (nvidia at least) and I can totally why they decided to go with a paid software and has less problems with it  

Iam using esxi 7 and have no problem using an 2080ti and and AMD R9 290 and before that i had an Nvidia gtx 260 in it and that worked to.

I had a few hickups with consumer grade NVMEs but they where solveable.

I switched neverless to Intels Business grade NVMEs for Out of the Box Support.

A Lot of cheap USB PCIE Controllers wont work at all.

But thats it so far.

As from a beginners Point of View , you actually dont need to leave the web gui to Set the Stage for passtrough of all sorts. 

The hiding of the VM Staus to the GPU is manageable from the gui to.

Edited by Domrockt

CPU

Intel  i9 13900k

Motherboard

Asrock Z790 Taichi

RAM

Kingston Fury Beast DDR5 RGB 32GB 6000MHZ

GPU

MSI GeForce RTX 4090 GAMING TRIO 24G 

Storage

Samsung SSD 980 PRO 1TB 
Unraid NAS 10Gbit about 50TB HDD's, i713700k 64GB DDR5 crucial @ 5800Mhz 

Win11 Workstation

On 9/10/2020 at 12:55 PM, Drama Lama said:

A RTX3000 build would be more expensive ;) 

( only RTX 3090 supports SLI )

Which is why I said.  2080Ti's in SLI V one 3070.   Will that be as good as 1 3070 or better than 1 3070.  That is the question.  If not then we know why SLI is pointless below the highest end for gaming cards or quadro cards. 

On 9/12/2020 at 8:17 PM, Valkyrie743 said:

It seems that the coupon code is not working for me is anyone else having issues ?

It may have expired. I notice it's not in the description anymore. I might have actually bought one of them if they were anywhere but Amazon who doesn't ship to Australia annoyingly. And from the looks of things in the video, not even to Canada!

2 minutes ago, W.D. Stevens said:

It may have expired. I notice it's not in the description anymore. I might have actually bought one of them if they were anywhere but Amazon who doesn't ship to Australia annoyingly. And from the looks of things in the video, not even to Canada!

i think it never worked it didnt work the day the video was released. 

Looking up the Unraid Documentation I can see that the hypervisor they are using is Xen Server Hypervisor. As a systems Engineer I've used this (as well as VMware and Hyper-V) and it is a great level 1 hypervisor. I have no doubt that you could do this with VMware or Hyper-V. I currently run a large environment using VMware products.

The thing about the two VMs that Linus seems to ignore is that you should be able to over-allocate your CPU and Memory and let the hypervisor handle how much each VM needs based on demand. We currently run about a 5 to 1 ratio of allocation to actual resources and don't suffer (of course we also have multiple servers so VMs can be vMotioned around to balance the load). But they could get away with more than just a split down the middle.