Help with WiFi range

Mellowed

So our wifi router is at one of the far ends of our house, and I recently moved my PC into my bedroom, on the other side of the house. I used to get 60-80 mps (16 ping), and it always worked fine. Now, I'm getting around 2-10 mps, meaning video calls and gaming are difficult. I'm using an old HP Elite 8300, so I bought this adapter to give me wifi. I was wondering of anyone had a solution to my problem, like what wifi repeater to get, or if I should get a better adapter. Btw, moving the PC and/or router is not a viable option for me. Thank you, 
Mellowed ❤️

CPU: I5 3740 @3.2GHz || GPU: GT 1030 || KEYBOARD+MOUSE: Redragon S101 combo || MONITOR: HP 22cwa || (its a potato pc)

If you have lots of money to spend: Get a mesh wifi system (I recently installed TP-Link Deco X20s in my house, it's great)

If you have a little money to spend: Consider getting a powerline ethernet adapter. (research if these will work for you, they're not for everyone)

If you have a little money to spend and powerline ethernet isn't for you: you could try getting a wifi extender, I've had bad experiences but they work for some people.

if you have even less to spend: run a super long ethernet cable from the router to your pc lol

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

12 minutes ago, Mellowed said:

bought this adapter to give me wifi.

Yeah..... that looks to be the issue. Microscopic antennas and USB powered. Might I recommend a PCIe WiFi adapter. It should work much better. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Do you think this will work

CPU: I5 3740 @3.2GHz || GPU: GT 1030 || KEYBOARD+MOUSE: Redragon S101 combo || MONITOR: HP 22cwa || (its a potato pc)

6 hours ago, Mellowed said:

Do you think this will work

Yeah that would probably work way better than the USB. One other thing to consider is where the router is in relation to your computer. Meaning if its behind the computer the card you linked should work great. If its in front of your computer, the PC case will be blocking some of the signal, doesn't mean it won't work better, its just you're blocking some of the signal. There are WIFi cards with antennas that connect via a cable so you can move the antenna where it works best. Im pretty sure you can buy these 3rd party and use them with most cards. 

However Id give the TP Link card a shot, it should do better in every way. Might even give you faster results as well. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

8 hours ago, Mellowed said:

So our wifi router is at one of the far ends of our house, and I recently moved my PC into my bedroom, on the other side of the house. I used to get 60-80 mps (16 ping), and it always worked fine. Now, I'm getting around 2-10 mps, meaning video calls and gaming are difficult. I'm using an old HP Elite 8300, so I bought this adapter to give me wifi. I was wondering of anyone had a solution to my problem, like what wifi repeater to get, or if I should get a better adapter. Btw, moving the PC and/or router is not a viable option for me. Thank you, 
Mellowed ❤️

Nothing beats a hard line cable. You can spend 100s 1000s of dollars on WiFi and you will still have subpar performance to a 20$ Ethernet cable.

Try to find a way to install a cable

8 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Yeah that would probably work way better than the USB. One other thing to consider is where the router is in relation to your computer. Meaning if its behind the computer the card you linked should work great. If its in front of your computer, the PC case will be blocking some of the signal, doesn't mean it won't work better, its just you're blocking some of the signal. There are WIFi cards with antennas that connect via a cable so you can move the antenna where it works best. Im pretty sure you can buy these 3rd party and use them with most cards. 

However Id give the TP Link card a shot, it should do better in every way. Might even give you faster results as well. 

Thank you, I'm expecting around 20-40 mps as I got that or better before my old adapter broke.