I need some help for building a PC!

Ianvw27

Hi everyone!

I like to build my own PC for my study Architecture, now I've already tried to assemble a PC by my own but I like to know your opinions whether it's good or bad.

I will mainly use it for CAD, Render and 3D animation programs.

This is what I think is a good setup:

GIGABYTE AORUS X570 AORUS MASTER
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
Noctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler
Corsair 32 GB DDR4-3200
Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1 TB SSD
- Nvidia rtx 3070 (Not yet released)
- Power supply depends on the Nvidia 3070

My budget is €2000,- Euros around $2300,- USD

Comment what you think and every suggestion is welcome!

The only change I would made in that system would probably be to have a 3400 or 3600 RAM. The rest of the system looks pretty good.

Swap that Evo out for a PCIE 4.0 Drive, and if you are doing CAD and other drawings you'll need a big secondary drive to store all your work. 1TB is going to fill up fast.

You could definitely fit a 3080 into that budget, makes a lot more sense as a pairing with the 3900X. You should also get a big second drive as FibonKylix said.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/SOLIDWORKS-2020-SP1-CPU-Performance-1681/

some great tests for CPU performance on Solidworks, they have other articles with GPU performance as well

differences between 3800X and 3900X while modelling are negligible even intel vs AMD are very very close so I wouldn't worry too much about the highest end processor if it lets you get a larger/faster SSD or faster graphics card for render acceleration. If you will be rendering and having to jump right into the next project it's all about cores so the 3900X is best in the price range. 

if you can stretch the budget for a 2TB drive you will want to have the extra space once your models get larger and loading takes forever due to the number of polygons.

RAM speed doesn't effect rendering as much as people would have you believe so 3200mhz is perfect for the system. 

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

10 hours ago, FibonKylix said:

Swap that Evo out for a PCIE 4.0 Drive, and if you are doing CAD and other drawings you'll need a big secondary drive to store all your work. 1TB is going to fill up fast.

Okay that makes sense because my files are indeed big, but if I get a PCIE 4.0 Drive what do you recommend? And if I need 2 drives should I use the Evo and the PCIE 4.0 Drive? Or need they to be identical?

10 hours ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/SOLIDWORKS-2020-SP1-CPU-Performance-1681/

some great tests for CPU performance on Solidworks, they have other articles with GPU performance as well

differences between 3800X and 3900X while modelling are negligible even intel vs AMD are very very close so I wouldn't worry too much about the highest end processor if it lets you get a larger/faster SSD or faster graphics card for render acceleration. If you will be rendering and having to jump right into the next project it's all about cores so the 3900X is best in the price range. 

if you can stretch the budget for a 2TB drive you will want to have the extra space once your models get larger and loading takes forever due to the number of polygons.

RAM speed doesn't effect rendering as much as people would have you believe so 3200mhz is perfect for the system. 

Indeed some great test I think the AMD is still the best option for me, because I will work with multiple programs at once. The RAM speed was a thing I wasn't sure about I thought 3200mhz would be enough, so if you agree on that then it will be okay. I also want two 16gb cards so I can upgrade to 64gb in the future.

What do you think of upgrading to the RTX 3080 as suggest by @AndrewZScorpion doesn't matter if it's more expensive, but if the GPU is too powerful for the work I do I think it's a waste of money. 

Any additional gpu performance is helpful for high polygon models, without seeing any modelling benchmarks I can't say it will definitely be a good investment.

The extra VRAM and cores will be better than the 3070 specifically when rotating models and rendering textures. 

Sabrent have the crown in pcie 4 drives, there will be a push down in price with more 7gb/s drives coming out pushing down more common 5gb/s drives. 

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

On 9/7/2020 at 2:55 PM, Ianvw27 said:

My budget is €2000,- Euros

location exactly? 

you could also wait for zen 3 and check what it has to offer, and you could go with a less overkill board, the master is great (it uses an XDPE132G5C and 12 sic639's) but it's over kill, the drive is over priced, and since you're waiting for the 3070 to release, you could also wait for zen 3 if possible, though that'll probably be later this year after ampere launch's.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

On 9/8/2020 at 4:02 PM, TofuHaroto said:

location exactly? 

you could also wait for zen 3 and check what it has to offer, and you could go with a less overkill board, the master is great (it uses an XDPE132G5C and 12 sic639's) but it's over kill, the drive is over priced, and since you're waiting for the 3070 to release, you could also wait for zen 3 if possible, though that'll probably be later this year after ampere launch's.

I live in the Netherlands. 

But the Zen 3 is going to be more expensive right? Also because I'm so busy with my study, the earliest time I have to actually build it is at the end of October. So if the Zen 3 is out by then I will go that one but if it doesn't I will stick with 3900xt. Which drive do you mean is overpriced?

10 hours ago, Ianvw27 said:

Which drive do you mean is overpriced?

the samsung drive, it's more or less more expensive because of the brand.

10 hours ago, Ianvw27 said:

end of October

then yea wait for ampere and and check, and zen 3 was confirmed to be announced at oct 8th iirc today. so wait.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

2 hours ago, TofuHaroto said:

the samsung drive, it's more or less more expensive because of the brand.

then yea wait for ampere and and check, and zen 3 was confirmed to be announced at oct 8th iirc today. so wait.

Okay thanks for the reply, should I go for the Sabrent pcie 4 drive then?

9 minutes ago, Ianvw27 said:

should I go for the Sabrent pcie 4 drive then?

You could go with an a2000 or a sx8200 to name some which are decent. 

Build Log: 

23 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

You could go with an a2000 or a sx8200 to name some which are decent. 

okay thank you so much this helps me more than you think!

And thanks to the other folks who replied to my post!!!