Do you really need to have the same brand RAM?

Go to solution Solved by JayBe,

Usually, if the RAM has the same specifications (CLI, frequency, jedec norm, etc.) it most likely wont cause any performance issues. Nonetheless, it is always smarter and better to just get the same exact RAM if you want to upgrade, to avoid having any issuses.

Hi, dont know if this discussion is relevant in this forum tho,

On my laptop I already have an stick of Samsung M471A1K43CB1-CRC DDR4-2400 8GB on,  and then I bought a Crucial CT8G4SFS824A DDR4-2400 SODIMM 8 GB to make it a total of 16GB. Is the brand gonna effect performance or anything? Thanks.

No, it doesn't matter. You may have some compatibility problems with specific sticks but that's really rare nowadays and doesn't really depend on the brand.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Usually, if the RAM has the same specifications (CLI, frequency, jedec norm, etc.) it most likely wont cause any performance issues. Nonetheless, it is always smarter and better to just get the same exact RAM if you want to upgrade, to avoid having any issuses.

Remember: If you want me to see your reply - Quote me!

If your question has been solved, please mark the thread as solved by choosing the answer that has helped you the most as the correct/solving one.

Please also use appropriate titles. Titles should be a short description of your situation to get people interested in looking at your thread. Titles such as "help" or "i have a problem" (etc.) will only lead to you getting less to zero help, cause people won't be able to tell what this thread is about and therefore don't bother looking into it.

If the timings don't match they might fall back to 2133, but that isn't much of a fall from 2400.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11