3080 Build Suggestions

Najecko

Budget (including currency): About $2500

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: From League of Legends to the Call of Duty series, also I am an Mechanical Engineering student as well (in my Junior year atm). Will be my at home work station/gaming rig for now and the future.  

Other details: As of right now, my current rig is a 2070 Super with an air cooled i7-7700k. Selling to a good friend of mine and building my new rig for the years to come. The parts I have picked out via PCPartPicker are the following:

• Ryzen 9 3900x 3.8 GHz 12-Core, cooled by a NZXT Kraken x73
  • A Gigabyte x570 AORUS Pro WIFI
  • 32 GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 Memory
  • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB SSD
  • Hoping for a Founders Edition 3080 upon release in the following days
  • A Lian LI-011 Dynamic ATX full tower case
  • A corsair RMx 850W 80+ Gold PSU
  • Will be using 6 Corsair LL120 RGB fans for intake on the bottom and side. Exhaust will be on top with the Kraken x73

Any suggestions for the build? Should I pull the trigger and buy the founders or go third party for better cooling and what not? Always loved how clean the F.E. cards have looked and if the temperatures/performance are slightly lower than third party I would probably still choose F.E. If there is any parts you think need changing, upgrading etc please let me know!

Edit: Also if you think waiting for Zen 3 would be better, feel free to let me know.

Thank you in advance!  

Looks good to me, I would go for 2x16gb ram instead though. Of course you won’t need to upgrade from 32gb anytime soon, so if you like the look of 4 sticks enough then go for it.

1 minute ago, AndrewZScorpion said:

Looks good to me, I would go for 2x16gb ram instead though. Of course you won’t need to upgrade from 32gb anytime soon, so if you like the look of 4 sticks enough then go for it.

Read my mind lol.. went with 4 for the eye candy. Going for a white build with some RGB

23 minutes ago, Najecko said:

Should I pull the trigger and buy the founders or go third party for better cooling and what not? Always loved how clean the F.E. cards have looked and if the temperatures/performance are slightly lower than third party I would probably still choose F.E.

I would say you should get the one with the fast spinning thingys. You know, the ones with the backplate and lights. That's the good one.

But srsly, no one knows.

It certainly looks like, that the TDP of the 3080 is quite high as we've see a lot of tiple-fan cooler designs so far.

I think you won't get around buying a custom card this time. I can't imagine the founders edition cooler to be as good as a custom one.

Just now, Senzelian said:

I wouid say you should get the one with the fast spinning thingys. You know, the ones with the backplate and lights. That's the good one.

But srsly, no one knows.

It certainly looks like, that the TDP of the 3080 is quite high as we've see a lot of tiple-fan cooler designs so far.

I think you won't get around buying a custom card this time. I can't imagine the founders edition cooler to be as good as a custom one.

Does make sense and the triple fan cooling is all I have seen so far and was worried for the F.E. As much as I honestly love how it looks, I am just waiting for the thermals to come out and run way hotter than the others

4 minutes ago, Najecko said:

Does make sense and the triple fan cooling is all I have seen so far and was worried for the F.E. As much as I honestly love how it looks, I am just waiting for the thermals to come out and run way hotter than the others

I would like to get a founders edition aswell, because the airflow in my system goes from bottom to the top of the case.

It would make sense to blow the air straight through the card in my case, but we'll see what other manufacturers will release.

I'm really hopiong for a proper Gainward Phantom. The last one was junk, but the older 900-series cards were so good with their replaceable fans.

GTX 980 Gainward Phantom:

Gainward GTX 980 Ti Phoenix Golden reviewed

5 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

I would like to get a founders edition aswell, because the airflow in my system goes from bottom to the top of the case.

It would make sense to blow the air straight through the card in my case, but we'll see what other manufacturers will release.

I'm really hopiong for a proper Gainward Phantom. The last one was junk, but the older 900-series cards were so good with their replaceable fans.

GTX 980 Gainward Phantom:

Gainward GTX 980 Ti Phoenix Golden reviewed

That is how my build will be, a 120mm fans on the bottom blowing upward as well as 3 on the back right vertically stacked blowing to the right of the case with top exhaust.