Ultrawide 160hz or 4k 144hz

Smackaroy

im currently struggling to choose between these 2 monitors the lg 38gn950 and the lg 27gn950.   i have used ultrawides in the past and I love them for the extra width but I also like the look of the 4k resolution.

11 minutes ago, AndrewZScorpion said:

What GPU are you running?

Will be running a 3080

Im also thinking of waiting until January for new  announcements but those monitors probably won't be released until May at the earliest so idk

3 minutes ago, Smackaroy said:

Im also thinking of waiting until January for new  announcements but those monitors probably won't be released until May at the earliest so idk

Unless you already have a nice monitor, that's a long time to wait. Probably buy now or shortly after 3080 reviews come out.

24 minutes ago, AndrewZScorpion said:

Unless you already have a nice monitor, that's a long time to wait. Probably buy now or shortly after 3080 reviews come out.

I do have a nice monitor the x34p but I have a stuck pixel. The reason why i want to wait is that the nano ips displays have bad contrast like 700 that's the reason why i want to wait until January and I quess i can deal with the stuck pixel for a while.

15993179618251904441561996608062.jpg

2 minutes ago, Smackaroy said:

I do have a nice monitor the x34p but I have a stuck pixel.

In that case, you should probably wait unless it really bothers you.

1 minute ago, AndrewZScorpion said:

it can only really been seen on black or dark grey better to wait then pay off

30 minutes ago, AndrewZScorpion said:

nope looks like im not waiting because my monitor has come back form repair for the 2nd time for the same issue. the left side of the screen sometimes flickers, i have a repair report saying that they replaced the screen i know thats a lie because that stuck pixel is in the same place as before i sent it in. i honestly give up i have sent this thing in like 6 times im not doing it again

Just now, Smackaroy said:

nope looks like im not waiting because my monitor has come back form repair for the 2nd time for the same issue. the left side of the screen sometimes flickers, i have a repair report saying that they replaced the screen i know thats a lie because that stuck pixel is in the same place as before i sent it in. i honestly give up i have sent this thing in like 6 times im not doing it again

Well, that sucks. Hopefully you don’t have problems with your next monitor.

On 9/5/2020 at 4:41 PM, AndrewZScorpion said:

Well, that sucks. Hopefully you don’t have problems with your next monitor.

Yeah hopefully, thankfully amazon is giving me a full refund. I am never buying anything acer again 

On 9/5/2020 at 9:25 AM, AndrewZScorpion said:

Then I'd say 4k 144hz

I'm kinda in the same dilemma, but I'm reading nearly everyone say an UltraWide at 1440/144hz is very demanding to run on an UltraWide when at ultra settings.  The 'resolution' isn't really the key factor.  The 'extra' real estate of a game is what causes a graphics card to crawl to it's knees, though it's not equivalent to 4K.  I've heard 1440 and 4K in computer monitors is very negligent at around 32 inches and below.  A 3080 should run a WideScreen smoothly at Ultra graphics at 1440p/120fps.  Which, to me, would be the better experience than a standard 16:9 4K/144hz panel since the rez is minute.  

On 9/5/2020 at 10:03 AM, Smackaroy said:

im currently struggling to choose between these 2 monitors the lg 38gn950 and the lg 27gn950.   i have used ultrawides in the past and I love them for the extra width but I also like the look of the 4k resolution.

I used a RTX 2080 ti with both resolutions.

With SOTTR on the highest settings it was 78fps 4k and 91fps 3840 X 1600. 

If the leaks are to be believed the 3080 does 83fps at 4k with SOTTR at the highest setting. That puts 3840 X 1600 into the 100s.

With games like SOTTR the limitation will be the CPU on high to ultra settings so 4k 144hz will be easier to do and the format is better for games that are designed for high frame rate. 

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV