High ping issue. Pls help :/

Captain Picard

So i've been facing this  issue for a while, my ping averages anywhere between 70ms to 200ms (usually on the higher end) on most domains and servers. I was doing fine two days ago with CS:GO running stable at 13ms and google pinging at 32ms.

My network download rate is 50Mbps and speed test sites all show low ping (8ms or so) but any games i play and servers i ping using CMD would say otherwise. I've also used other devices to make sure this isn't device specific and flushed my DNS too. Help :/

in the csgo settings (or the console) you can manually set the max ping that you want to the server you'll be playing on.

This will mean that you either only get into csgo games that will give you less than 60ms or lower.

or you won't find any game because your current location/router/isp can't manage to run at less than 60ms to any csgo server close to you.

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

4 minutes ago, flashiling said:

in the csgo settings (or the console) you can manually set the max ping that you want to the server you'll be playing on.

This will mean that you either only get into csgo games that will give you less than 60ms or lower.

or you won't find any game because your current location/router/isp can't manage to run at less than 60ms to any csgo server close to you.

The issue isn't joining servers. I know i can change the limit to allow me to join servers. The issue is my high ping. Sure, i can join servers and play but the whole experience is horrible. No fun in teleporting here and there and getting one lucky shot once in a while.

I removed your other thread about the same issue, please refrain from posting duplicate threads.

EDIT: Also moved this one to Troubleshooting.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Hello

I had the same Problem. I removed / updated all kind of things between my router and my pc, like for example my hp network switch.

Do you have this issue also in other games?

Regards 

Mathis

yes but by doing what i said the game wont allow you to  connect to a server if it will give you more than 60ms, that could resolve the problem.

you can't join a server that will give you 60ms+ if you've put a 60ms limit in the settings.

otherwise as i also said before, it could be your ISP or maybe a driver update that could have slowed some things on your computer.

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

35 minutes ago, Captain Picard said:

my ping averages anywhere between 70ms to 200ms (usually on the higher end) on most domains and servers. I was doing fine two days ago with CS:GO running stable at 13ms and google pinging at 32ms.

is your connection stable to your ISP? try using their speedtest tool

if they dont have one, you could try using speedtest.net to do a test to servers that are nearby

if it's stable with low ping, then it's probably your ISP having bad connection to those game servers

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

2 hours ago, Captain Picard said:

So i've been facing this  issue for a while, my ping averages anywhere between 70ms to 200ms (usually on the higher end) on most domains and servers. I was doing fine two days ago with CS:GO running stable at 13ms and google pinging at 32ms.

My network download rate is 50Mbps and speed test sites all show low ping (8ms or so) but any games i play and servers i ping using CMD would say otherwise. I've also used other devices to make sure this isn't device specific and flushed my DNS too. Help :/

What part of the world are you in?

It is possible that speedtest.net has a server close to you, but most of the game servers are pretty far away? Most European game servers seem to be located in Germany for example, US servers are usually either East coast or West coast. If you are far away from those, might not be anything you can do about it.

2 hours ago, mathisokle said:

Hello

I had the same Problem. I removed / updated all kind of things between my router and my pc, like for example my hp network switch.

Do you have this issue also in other games?

Regards 

Mathis

Yep, apex legends, gta v, war thunder to name a few

2 hours ago, Moonzy said:

is your connection stable to your ISP? try using their speedtest tool

if they dont have one, you could try using speedtest.net to do a test to servers that are nearby

if it's stable with low ping, then it's probably your ISP having bad connection to those game servers

Yep already did that, Speedtest shows 8ms to a nearby server but ofc that’s not the actual latency. I ran a traceroute and the issue was popping up in the 5th 6th and 7th addresses 

1 minute ago, Captain Picard said:

Yep already did that, Speedtest shows 8ms to a nearby server but ofc that’s not the actual latency. I ran a traceroute and the issue was popping up in the 5th 6th and 7th addresses

then there's nothing much you can do from your end if local connection is stable

you can contact your ISP and ask them what's up, but that would normally result in nothing for the most part

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 hour ago, maartendc said:

What part of the world are you in?

It is possible that speedtest.net has a server close to you, but most of the game servers are pretty far away? Most European game servers seem to be located in Germany for example, US servers are usually either East coast or West coast. If you are far away from those, might not be anything you can do about it.

I’m from India and we’ve got game servers in our region for most games, with a few exceptions like apex (nearest populated server is Singapore) but even playing those games I’ve never had that much of an issue with latency, it stayed at 60ms. Now it’s jittering a lot at high values, in all games 

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

then there's nothing much you can do from your end if local connection is stable

you can contact your ISP and ask them what's up, but that would normally result in nothing for the most part

Yeah I guess that’s all there’s left to do then. Just wanted to be sure it wasn’t a router or configuration issue. Thanks for your time :)