Cheap 24" gaming monitor recommendation please?

Conelton

Hey guys,

I'm looking into buying a new monitor to replace my tiny dead-pixel-ridden 19" LG but I haven't got a clue where to start. Here's basically what I want:

• 24" monitor
  • Preferably 1080p but 1440x900 I can live with
  • Will be used for gaming as well as general use, no photo/video editing
  • Around £150, maybe slightly more if necessary, let's call that $230 if you don't speak sterling
  • As for panel type, I'm not really fussed although I would be willing to sacrifice some response time in favour of a better image.

I hope someone can help me out here or at least point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it.

TL;DR 24" gaming monitor for £150 or so.

I was recently looking for much the same spec of monitor, and found this Acer 24" http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009422 it's 1920x1080 and LED backlit.

System SpecCase: Cooler Master Elite 311 - Mobo: Asus Rampage III Extreme - CPU: Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.5 Ghz - Heatsink/Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 612, w/ Corsair SP120's - Ram: 16GB Of 1866 Corsair Vengeance - GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 660 Ti's In SLI @ 1015 Mhz - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB - SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB - PSU: Coolmax 800W Semi Modular, 80+ Bronze - OS: Win 7 Ultimate x64.

Peripherals - Monitor: Acer G246HL (TN 24" 1080p LED 60Hz) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 - Mouse: ? - Mouse Mat: Razer Vespula - Headset: Asus Orion.

Thanks :) That actually looks like a pretty good deal, £135 on Amazon. Did you buy it? If so, what's it like?

Nice, yeah I did and its great, awesome colour and the size is sweet, way better than my old 19" square screen lol!

System SpecCase: Cooler Master Elite 311 - Mobo: Asus Rampage III Extreme - CPU: Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.5 Ghz - Heatsink/Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 612, w/ Corsair SP120's - Ram: 16GB Of 1866 Corsair Vengeance - GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 660 Ti's In SLI @ 1015 Mhz - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB - SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB - PSU: Coolmax 800W Semi Modular, 80+ Bronze - OS: Win 7 Ultimate x64.

Peripherals - Monitor: Acer G246HL (TN 24" 1080p LED 60Hz) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 - Mouse: ? - Mouse Mat: Razer Vespula - Headset: Asus Orion.

Not sure as a gaming monitor but the Asus MX239H 23 inch looks pretty sweet whether it performs the same as it looks who knows ?

Not sure as a gaming monitor but the Asus MX239H 23 inch looks pretty sweet whether it performs the same as it looks who knows ?

A bit out of my price range unfortunately and as much as it looks sweet it would be so out of place in my bedroom :P Thanks for the help though

I found this, any thoughts, anyone?

@ Conelton, The one you linked is good, and has a slightly faster response time than the Acer one.

It's basically a toss up between those two then. I don't know if I'm actually bothered about the response time because a) I doubt I'll actually notice it, and b) I'm sure I heard somewhere that the manufacturers specs are practically irrelevant to the actual, real-world times.

Anyway, I'll take everything here into consideration, keep looking around and hopefully make a decent decision at some point. But for now I'm going to sleep. Thanks for all your help :)

No problem man, later. =)

Hey guys,

I'm looking into buying a new monitor to replace my tiny dead-pixel-ridden 19" LG but I haven't got a clue where to start. Here's basically what I want:

• 24" monitor
  • Preferably 1080p but 1440x900 I can live with
  • Will be used for gaming as well as general use, no photo/video editing
  • Around £150, maybe slightly more if necessary, let's call that $230 if you don't speak sterling
  • As for panel type, I'm not really fussed although I would be willing to sacrifice some response time in favour of a better image.

I hope someone can help me out here or at least point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it.

TL;DR 24" gaming monitor for £150 or so.

Don't live with 1440x900. You will regret it.

It could be the best 1440x900 monitor in the world: IPS, 0ms response time, 1 billion gazillion colors or whatever, and I would still take a cheap 1080p monitor.

Also, at 24 inches, some monitors come in 16:10 resolution, 1920x1200, so if you like more vertical space, you can look into that.

That Acer one that Linus unboxed looks soo good! Edge-edge glass, IPS, and I believe it's under $200 . Don't know if you could find it in UK, but have a look (sorry I don't have a link im at school at cant check the model on YouTube)

You're kind of self-contradictory in your original posting. If you want a cheap screen for gaming you should get a 1-2ms TN panel, no doubt about it. If you actually have a use for the better colour precision of an IPS panel you're gonna have to spend more than £150. If you're not a photographer, graphic designer, video producer or someone else who can benefit from a proper good IPS panel, a cheap Samsung is the best choice for you. The image is by no means poor just because it's a TN panel, it will be much much better than your old 19", and the response time really does make a BIG difference.

There is no such thing as a good gaming IPS display, period! You can do as I and live with the increased response time (and eventual overdrive trailing etc), but if you don't have a use for the good IPS panel, for the love of god don't get one. It is NOT for everyone.

Sorry I haven't been able to reply today and I'm on my phone right now so this might be a bit sketchy. Also I can't see usernames while I'm replying or quote posts.

To whoever posted about ditching 1440x900:

I would definitely prefer a 1080p monitor and I will more than likely get one. I only really included the 1440x900 option in case that's all the price would allow. As it appears there are many 1080p monitors in the price range I wont have to worry. I appreciate your pointing that out though :)

To whoever posted about going with TN:

You're absolutely right, I won't really benefit from an IPS panel (I guess I just assumed that fancier = better) and if you say that the response times are really that significant then I will take them into consideration. But are the manufacturer's specs relevant to the real-world performance? Thanks for your help.

And to the guys who posted links:

Greatly appreciated, I'll check them out tomorrow.

If you get a great IPS screen it is not THAT significant, but they are usually more than double the price of a decent TN screen, and if you don't need what an IPS screen has to offer there really is no reason to go down that road. :)

It looks like there are a ton of cheap and cheerful monitors out there, which I didn't expect. I'll take a look at all of the suggestions from you guys, as well as keep searching myself. I know now that I'm looking for 1080p and TN panel which will make life easier. Thanks a lot everyone :)

Asus PA238QR. IPS quality, TN price (got my for around 215 from Memory Express) and near TN speed  (Around 6ms response time and 10.9ms input lag (IE 1 frame @ 60FPS = 16.6ms)) Been using TN panels all my life (around 10 years) took me less than 1 hour with the PA238QR to blow off TN. My Asus VH236H looks muted and drab compared to the PA238QR without calibrating either of them.

Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | Memory: 32GB 3600mhz DDR4 | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 |
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, 850 Evo 500gb, 960 Pro 1tb | Cooling: Custom Liquid Cooling Loop (CPU/GPU) | Case: CaseLabs Mercury S8+Pedestal  | Monitors: Asus ROG Swift PG279Q + PA238QR