Do my 58X Headphones benefit from a DAC at all

C0stanza
Go to solution Solved by GravityHurts,

I also have the 58x, but I'm don't know much from audio. From what I understand a dac converts a digital audio signal to a analog one. So theoretically there would be a benefit, whether or not you can hear any difference I do not know.

Hey all, yesterday I was posting here trying to get help deciding on a nice pair of open back headphones to treat myself to during the pandemic. I ended up settling on the Drop HD58Xs.

I just got one more question I'd like to get sorted out before Drop gets the headphones to me. Do the 58Xs benefit from being plugged into my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2(basically being used as a DAC) at all? I've heard you don't need an amp to drive the 58X but I'm not positive about whether using a DAC has any benefits over just plugging into my computer's front panel headphone jack.

I also have the 58x, but I'm don't know much from audio. From what I understand a dac converts a digital audio signal to a analog one. So theoretically there would be a benefit, whether or not you can hear any difference I do not know.

8 minutes ago, GravityHurts said:

Thanks! I suppose I didn't think it through enough, you're right that it really wouldn't be a headphone specific thing. If the 2i2 functions better as a DAC than my mobo (as I hope it does) that benefit would be present regardless of the headphones I'm using (assuming it makes enough of a difference to be heard at all).

3 minutes ago, endyc said:

Thanks! I suppose I didn't think it through enough, you're right that it really wouldn't be a headphone specific thing. If the 2i2 functions better as a DAC than my mobo (as I hope it does) that benefit would be present regardless of the headphones I'm using (assuming it makes enough of a difference to be heard at all).

Yes and no. If the DAC has a bit of interference for some reason then it is worth it. The amplification will def improve the audio res.

EDIT: Forgot that you were using the scarlett. The scarlett isn't exactly enough to get the most out of the 58x's. Getting like a ifi zen dac or maybe a fiio k5 pro you would get more out of them.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

24 minutes ago, Tigerleon said:

Yes and no. If the DAC has a bit of interference for some reason then it is worth it. The amplification will def improve the audio res.

EDIT: Forgot that you were using the scarlett. The scarlett isn't exactly enough to get the most out of the 58x's. Getting like a ifi zen dac or maybe a fiio k5 pro you would get more out of them.

I notice both of these are amp/dac combos. Is the reason you recommend the zen and fiio that they function as better amps than the 2i2? I was under the impression the 58x's didn't really need an amp. Is this only partially true?

I know the 2i2 likely doesn't excel as an amp, I was more wondering about its performance as a DAC (especially relative to onboard audio on the mobo). I was gonna keep the volume knob set to 12 o'clock on the 2i2 and generally use my computer to actually control the volume of my music.

2 minutes ago, endyc said:

I notice both of these are amp/dac combos. Is the reason you recommend the zen and fiio that they function as better amps than the 2i2? I was under the impression the 58x's didn't really need an amp. Is this only partially true?

I know the 2i2 likely doesn't excel as an amp, I was more wondering about its performance as a DAC (especially relative to onboard audio on the mobo). I was gonna keep the volume knob set to 12 o'clock on the 2i2 and generally use my computer to actually control the volume of my music.

Partially true I would say. The Scarlett is not a good DAC/amp for headphones. Many interfaces aren't that good for headphones in that pricerange. The DAC will most likely not change the sound. I guess depending on the way it is implemented or whatever but otherwise it will only benefit from a better amp.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

2 minutes ago, Tigerleon said:

Partially true I would say. The Scarlett is not a good DAC/amp for headphones. Many interfaces aren't that good for headphones in that pricerange. The DAC will most likely not change the sound. I guess depending on the way it is implemented or whatever but otherwise it will only benefit from a better amp.

I'll have to see how it sounds when I get it. If I find it a little on the quieter side would you recommend those combos you listed above or a dedicated amp that connects to the 2i2 as a DAC which then goes into the comp via usb?

10 minutes ago, endyc said:

I'll have to see how it sounds when I get it. If I find it a little on the quieter side would you recommend those combos you listed above or a dedicated amp that connects to the 2i2 as a DAC which then goes into the comp via usb?

Yes. Although those shouldn't be a problem at all. People use those kinds of DAC/amp combos for DT 990's that are 250ohm and it good. 

EDIT: I misunderstood your question. Yes see how it is with the scarlett. I mean if you want an XLR mic that is great as well.

My PC specs & audio gear

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit