Please check my nephews Ryzen 5 build

Hello!

If you have the time and willingness I would apreciatre some input on this build. Mostly if it makes sense and the parts have decent compatability.

My sister asked me to look after the build process, but to be honsest im out of the loop on components.

Thank you for your time.

Budget (including currency): ~ 800 €

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mostly gaming. Only game he says he had issues with is https://www.satisfactorygame.com/. And he may want to do some light OBS recording for fun.

Other details

Going to buy next week some time.

Hes monitor: BenQ ZOWIE XL2411PBenQ ZOWIE XL2411P  and a TV 1360x768@60Hz 60Hz

Old pc:

• Intel Pentium G3258
  • ASUS H97-PLUS Motherboard
  • 8,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24) probably Kingston
  • 3072MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 200 Series (Gigabyte)
  • 223GB KINGSTON SV300S37A240G (SATA-2 (SSD)) + a pair of 150GB HDDs

Proposed new build:

1) dont really need a new SSD if the old one still works, unless you want more solid state storages

2) pick a better case (meshify C maybe)

2.5) with decent stock fan config (1 in 1 out is good enough) so you can drop the ML120s

3) try buy 2x8gb ram kit instead of separate sticks

4) a 2TB HDD for mass storage is good

5) maybe grab a decent air cooler to make the system run quieter than stock cooler

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Everything here seems great but although the RX 580 is a great card it's getting really old so maybe a 1660 Super? Also he might want a 1 or 2Tb HDD because games sizes now are well over 100gb. other than that its great. Those upgrades I suggested will cost about another 100$ so that totally depends on him, anyways, good luck!

Tere!

Also would not recommend buying RX 580 from  Arvutitark. Check foorum.hinnavaatlus.ee müügifoorum to get a better deal.

I edit my posts more often than not

5 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

5) maybe grab a decent air cooler to make the system run quieter than stock cooler

Stock cooler is good enough that you shouldn’t worry about it.

Also, definitely want a better GPU, you could find the money by dropping the two fans and moving to a Ryzen 5 2600. Also should add a 2tb HDD. Maybe try to find some faster RAM? Ryzen benefits greatly from it.

There’s a lot more PSU than needed for the gpu or cpu, but less than might be needed for a future amphere card which are being reported as running very very hot.  
If this is a build designed to be updated I would suggest b550. It’s not useful for the current rx580 gpu though it will work fine. The 580 at this point is kinda of a lower end “it’ll game at 1080p for now” card one would buy with an eye to updating later.  If he doesn’t plan to update the gpu I would say stick with the b450, get a smaller PSU and a bigger video card if it can be done.  If updating is a plan, I’d say go for b550 and a larger PSU, like a 750, simply because power need for next gen GPUs are unknown atm.  Mostly we know they’re going to be hot and they’re going to be pcie4.  I might even downgrade the gpu a bit because it’s going to be thrown away anyway. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, AndrewZScorpion said:

Maybe try to find some faster RAM? Ryzen benefits greatly from it.

The performance gap between 3200mhz and 3600 is close to negligible and since he's getting a board with a good VRM solution he should be able to OC his ram to 3600 anyways

Hey mate, u'r build will work... there aren't any compatibility issues... But i think u should use this case: Corsair Carbide Series Spec Delta RGB Case

7 minutes ago, AndrewZScorpion said:

and moving to a Ryzen 5 2600.

the single core performance difference isnt worth the trade off, i wouldnt recommend this

i would rather go 3300x than 2600

that's for running it quieter, which some people may find valuable

it's not a high priority upgrade, that's why it's separated from the rest, though it may not be clear that way

Maybe try to find some faster RAM? Ryzen benefits greatly from it.

3200 c16 is good enough, some chips, although rare, may not run 3600

6 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I’d say go for b550 and a larger PSU

mmm b550 may be a good upgrade if the price diff is not much

but idk bout larger PSU, if OP stays on mid-tier GPU, 650W is plenty enough

though stepping up and down a few 100W normally isnt much of a price diff anyways, so he could explore those

but try to keep the PC load power around 50% of the PSU's capabilities

27 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

the single core performance difference isnt worth the trade off, i wouldnt recommend this

i would rather go 3300x than 2600

that's for running it quieter, which some people may find valuable

it's not a high priority upgrade, that's why it's separated from the rest, though it may not be clear that way

3200 c16 is good enough, some chips, although rare, may not run 3600

mmm b550 may be a good upgrade if the price diff is not much

but idk bout larger PSU, if OP stays on mid-tier GPU, 650W is plenty enough

though stepping up and down a few 100W normally isnt much of a price diff anyways, so he could explore those

but try to keep the PC load power around 50% of the PSU's capabilities

Idk either. It’s a shot in the dark thing. Bigger or smaller anyway. If going with the 580 and staying with it, lots smaller PSU.  If gambling on a bigger card down the road, bigger PSU, because there’s a decent chance 650 won’t cut it.  Up or down just not the same. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

because there’s a decent chance 650 won’t cut it

honestly people are scared of the new cards, while i used to run 4 GPU (xx70 tier card) on a RM850x

my wattmeter says it's near 800W under full load, including my 3900x

pretty sure 650W will handle a single gpu just fine

Spoiler

unless we get another 295x2 card

05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg

45 minutes ago, AndrewZScorpion said:

Not true, the Wraith Prism which is an upgraded wraith Stealth is loud even at idle. If you are noise sensitive, a €30 tower cooler will be near silent. 

3 minutes ago, gloop said:

the Wraith Prism

think you meant spire

Just now, Moonzy said:

think you meant spire

No, I meant the Prism that is included with R7s and above. 

4 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

honestly people are scared of the new cards, while i used to run 4 GPU (xx70 tier card) on a RM850x

my wattmeter says it's near 800W under full load, including my 3900x

pretty sure 650W will handle a single gpu just fine

Reveal hidden contents

unless we get another 295x2 card

05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg

Yup.  The unknown does that.  The problem is it’s a guess.  One has to guess about stuff that isn’t out yet. So do you go conservative or make a bet.  This seems to be about $30 in either direction. $30 up and it’s a 750w PSU and the chances of it working fine are real high. Plus it would be a lot more likely to have the 3 separate 6/8 pin pcie cables that the new 12 pin is listing as needing. $30 down and it’s a 500w PSU which will cover the 580 just fine.  The really conservative bet would be an 850w PSU because that is known to cover the 3090 which is the only card with released numbers. A 750 is likely to cover a 3080 though, and it will have the necessary 3 cables. A 650 is 5700xt level. I have zero confidence that a 5700xt will play new games. 

9 minutes ago, gloop said:

Not true, the Wraith Prism which is an upgraded wraith Stealth is loud even at idle. If you are noise sensitive, a €30 tower cooler will be near silent. 

This is not what I have heard about the stock cooler.  I haven’t listened to one though so I can’t discount it. 

Bout PSU ... I think most reasonable priced PSU's are XFX XTR2 ones (in Estonia). Should be Seasonic (Gold Prime design?).

I edit my posts more often than not

9 minutes ago, gloop said:

ah, op picked R5, which comes with a spire

imo spire is more related to stealth than prism is

prism is actually decent, imo

but yes it's quite noisy for cooling the CPU that it comes with

if only they drop the RGB and include a larger fan

7 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The really conservative bet would be an 850w PSU because that is known to cover the 3090 which is the only card with released numbers. A 750 is likely to cover a 3080 though, and it will have the necessary 3 cables.

[derail] my train of thought

product generally dont go down in efficiency in the next gen

= next gen higher perf per watt

+

nvidia states next gen have such high wattage req

= next gen cards are monsters

so the gap between this gen and next gen = huge (like seriously, imagine drawing the wattage of 2x 2080Ti)

so the leaked pricing... might not be high enough... dont tell nvidia kthx

it's a far fetched thought, im just gonna wait for launch and reviews to see what's up

maybe nvidia got wind about big navi kicking arse

we might be looking at a dual GPU card honestly, but the PCB is too small for it...

1 hour ago, Moonzy said:

ah, op picked R5, which comes with a spire

imo spire is more related to stealth than prism is

prism is actually decent, imo

but yes it's quite noisy for cooling the CPU that it comes with

if only they drop the RGB and include a larger fan

[derail] my train of thought

product generally dont go down in efficiency in the next gen

= next gen higher perf per watt

+

nvidia states next gen have such high wattage req

= next gen cards are monsters

so the gap between this gen and next gen = huge (like seriously, imagine drawing the wattage of 2x 2080Ti)

so the leaked pricing... might not be high enough... dont tell nvidia kthx

it's a far fetched thought, im just gonna wait for launch and reviews to see what's up

maybe nvidia got wind about big navi kicking arse

we might be looking at a dual GPU card honestly, but the PCB is too small for it...

There was talk of a single gpu and another chip but not a true gpu per se. the problem with the Nvidia stuff is there this 7nm/8nm confusion to go along with the lack of data. AMD May have much more power efficient stuff as well.  The 3090 is going to be more than is wanted in any event simply be cause the cost is so huge. 
3090 and 3080 are supposed to be both 102 die.  Nvidia has been coy though about whether it is the 7nm 102 or an 8nm 102 and what any difference might be.  The only doe Nvidia has confirmed so far as being 7nm all the time that I know of is the 101.  I don’t know whether 102 will be 7nm all the time, shown as 7nm but released as 8nm or is 8nm all the time.  There has been almost nothing out of AMD afaik.  NVIDIA also has that 12 pin connector thing which apparently needs 3 6/8 connectors.  It might be doable with only two cables for smaller cards.  It’s just a big mess.  It makes trying to predict a correctly sized PSU very difficult. 

12 hours ago, gloop said:

Don't know what your fan curve looks like, but the Prism on my 3700 is silent at idle, and only starts making any noise when I'm really hammering it rendering video. Keeps it plenty cool as well. At stock speeds I should add... Granted case air flow has a lot to do with it, since it is a down firing cooler instead of one that directs the heat back towards an exhaust fan...

If you do decide to buy an aftermarket tower cooler, perhaps look for Deepcool Gammaxx 400. Cheaper but slightly better than the Hyper 212. 

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |