why does streamlabs OBS use so much GPU?

Stream labs OBS uses like 25-30% of my GPU, is this normal? I am using the x264 or whatever its called. Im not even steaming yet. doe it really take that much just to show the stuff on the screen?

I have a rx 580 im waiting for the 3080. do I just have to wait for a new gpu for this to be fixed? 

It uses the GPU encoder when possible, and if you do any compositing or rescaling, the GPU may also be used for that. It's not something that is going to be "fixed" For example a 1080p60 decode stream uses 8% of the GPU.

Stream labs OBS just has a ton of useless stuff that you will never use. Regular OBS is much better. 

9 minutes ago, gloop said:

Stream labs OBS just has a ton of useless stuff that you will never use. Regular OBS is much better. 

Regular OBS is much much better for videos if you are a streamer stream labs OBS is a lot easier to set up everything.

-> Moved to Programs, Apps and Websites

I assume you are using Windows task manager to monitor this? Are you using OBS preview? GPU encoding? Hard to pinpoint anything with so little details.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, Kade b said:

Regular OBS is much much better for videos if you are a streamer stream labs OBS is a lot easier to set up everything.

Nope, I isn’t. I’ve streamed for 6+ months using both SLOBS and OBS, regular OBS is less resource intensive and a lot easier to stream with. 

OBS has a ton of plugins that aren’t compatible with Streamlabs OBS as well. 

13 hours ago, Kisai said:

It uses the GPU encoder when possible, and if you do any compositing or rescaling, the GPU may also be used for that. It's not something that is going to be "fixed" For example a 1080p60 decode stream uses 8% of the GPU.

so if I don't downscale it will be easier on my gpu? I'm naively in 1080 downscaling to 720.

The reason I say it will be fixed with the new GPU is running games + OBS is just killing my GPU to the paint my obs will shudder, games take like 80-90% then SLOBS taking 30% is causing issues. A new GPU especially since its gen 4 pcie should be more then enough to handle it. Its only the newer games killing me. I can play older games or games like risk of rain 2 fine. but when I get to the destroy all humans remake even on low its demanding on my gpu. My card is just shitty for what im doing. 

12 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

-> Moved to Programs, Apps and Websites

I assume you are using Windows task manager to monitor this? Are you using OBS preview? GPU encoding? Hard to pinpoint anything with so little details.

Yes I was using task manager should I use a better program? I have the preview showing my layout on SLOBS if that is what you mean. I am using x264 or whatever its called for encoding so it should be using my CPU, my CPU usage is fpr SLOBS is around 4-8% I have a 3900x 

12 hours ago, gloop said:

Nope, I isn’t. I’ve streamed for 6+ months using both SLOBS and OBS, regular OBS is less resource intensive and a lot easier to stream with. 

OBS has a ton of plugins that aren’t compatible with Streamlabs OBS as well. 

I mainly use SLOBS for the easy on screen chat. alets, the box that shows past follow/sub/bits/dono type stuff.

I sure OBS has that but the last time I used normal OBS was in like 2015 and it was a hassle to set up that stuff but I have no idea how it is now. 

12 minutes ago, Potatocell said:

so if I don't downscale it will be easier on my gpu? I'm naively in 1080 downscaling to 720.

The reason I say it will be fixed with the new GPU is running games + OBS is just killing my GPU to the paint my obs will shudder, games take like 80-90% then SLOBS taking 30% is causing issues. A new GPU especially since its gen 4 pcie should be more then enough to handle it. Its only the newer games killing me. I can play older games or games like risk of rain 2 fine. but when I get to the destroy all humans remake even on low its demanding on my gpu. My card is just shitty for what im doing. 

You should start by seeing what the settings are before you change them.

If you play a game at 720p, and stream just the game, no overlays, that is the least complexity you can get away with, and can be done directly with nVidia Experience. 

If you play a game at 1080p downscaled to 720p, OBS will either have to software downscale it, or hardware downscale it, in most cases, especially when there are overlays present, it's a software scaler.

Overlays that are not just images, are literal web pages. In general, if you want a smooth stream, you have to have very little stuff moving, and your choice of GPU doesn't really factor into it as much as what the composite being compressed is.

9 hours ago, Potatocell said:

I mainly use SLOBS for the easy on screen chat. alets, the box that shows past follow/sub/bits/dono type stuff.

I sure OBS has that but the last time I used normal OBS was in like 2015 and it was a hassle to set up that stuff but I have no idea how it is now. 

To add it to OBS, all you need is a link. It’s literally the exact same. 

16 minutes ago, gloop said:

To add it to OBS, all you need is a link. It’s literally the exact same. 

its has all the same features? even the event list, streamboss, wheel spin etc..? does it have the built in twitch chat build into the OBS overlay? like on SLOBS as soon as you press play a chat bar will open on the side so you can see your twitch chat and chat back on that. Its not the on screen chat that viewers can see. If you know what I mean.

Does it also have the event list where I can see what my last follow dono etc.. was its called "mini feed" on SLOBS, its right under the screen that shows your stream playback.

35 minutes ago, Potatocell said:

its has all the same features? even the event list, streamboss, wheel spin etc..? does it have the built in twitch chat build into the OBS overlay? like on SLOBS as soon as you press play a chat bar will open on the side so you can see your twitch chat and chat back on that. Its not the on screen chat that viewers can see. If you know what I mean.

Does it also have the event list where I can see what my last follow dono etc.. was its called "mini feed" on SLOBS, its right under the screen that shows your stream playback.

Yes, it does through StreamElements OBS.Live.