Thoughts on running Crossfire just for the novelty of it?

CommandMan7

To put it bluntly, I know crossfire hasn't been a effective performance solution for a while now. My first GPU was the GTX 630, so I've really only ever known a world of single-GPU dominance. However, as a fan of PC history, I am really interested in trying out crossfire for the first (and probably last) time purely for the novelty and experience of doing so, since used 480's have gotten very cheap.

My PC currently has a XFX RX 480 8GB reference blower card driving a 1440p 144hz display. This is obviously not ideal, and I need to optimize most games well into medium settings to run anywhere beyond 100fps at 1440p. As to how much crossfire would help with this, I have no idea. I am not so much interested in the performance gains of crossfire anyways, although I will happily take any I may get.

What I'm really concerned about is just the overall experience. I'm willing to accept it's going to be more annoying than a single GPU, but if it's just going to bring me endless misery then I'm not going to bother. Off the top of my head, most of the games I play just straight up don't support Crossfire. Given my situation, this is fine, as long as having the extra GPU in the system doesn't cause the game to freak out or crash. This is my main concern.

The only other thing I can think of is that I'm currently running a R5 3600X in an ASUS Prime X570-P mobo with 16GB of 3600Mhz ram and RM650i PSU. I am pretty confident that my PSU can handle it all since each card is only a single 6-pin connector. 

If anyone has thoughts on using Crossfire like this, especially with reference 480's, I'd appreciate hearing what you have to say. Ignoring the performance aspect, how rough was the user experience? What do you think about running crossfire for the novelty of it?

Thanks!

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

1 hour ago, CommandMan7 said:

To put it bluntly, I know crossfire hasn't been a effective performance solution for a while now. My first GPU was the GTX 630, so I've really only ever known a world of single-GPU dominance. However, as a fan of PC history, I am really interested in trying out crossfire for the first (and probably last) time purely for the novelty and experience of doing so, since used 480's have gotten very cheap.

My PC currently has a XFX RX 480 8GB reference blower card driving a 1440p 144hz display. This is obviously not ideal, and I need to optimize most games well into medium settings to run anywhere beyond 100fps at 1440p. As to how much crossfire would help with this, I have no idea. I am not so much interested in the performance gains of crossfire anyways, although I will happily take any I may get.

What I'm really concerned about is just the overall experience. I'm willing to accept it's going to be more annoying than a single GPU, but if it's just going to bring me endless misery then I'm not going to bother. Off the top of my head, most of the games I play just straight up don't support Crossfire. Given my situation, this is fine, as long as having the extra GPU in the system doesn't cause the game to freak out or crash. This is my main concern.

The only other thing I can think of is that I'm currently running a R5 3600X in an ASUS Prime X570-P mobo with 16GB of 3600Mhz ram and RM650i PSU. I am pretty confident that my PSU can handle it all since each card is only a single 6-pin connector. 

If anyone has thoughts on using Crossfire like this, especially with reference 480's, I'd appreciate hearing what you have to say. Ignoring the performance aspect, how rough was the user experience? What do you think about running crossfire for the novelty of it?

Thanks!

Sounds fun I was going to do it with 470s but they sold out where I was looking, just make sure the games you play scale well with cf, gamersnexus did a video on it 470cf vs 480cf vs gtx 1070