setting up office at the horse stables for my boss

Yatys 93

Hey all hope your all well, need to pick a few brains to try and figure this out.

after it came out that I know a little about computers, I have ended up building 2 gaming rigs for my boss's kids and she has asked me to help her sort her office out in the stables of the riding school. It is out of range of the house wifi but she already has 2 mobile huawei dongles with her phone plans so actual internet connection is already set up as I did that today, waiting on the laptop to be found as they tidied it away a while ago. She also wants to me to add in a CCTV system for the riding area at least if not the whole school as well as somewhere for the cameras to write to, so I was thinking of the all in one set ups like these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06VTHXDY7/ref=sspa_dk_detail_4?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B06VTHXDY7&pd_rd_w=Kuc7o&pf_rd_p=dc37174d-0a14-4209-a295-71b2053f4171&pd_rd_wg=UAzte&pf_rd_r=AJZ9SBR1D49JQ0NJ8B2Q&pd_rd_r=23abe3aa-61a4-4785-ae91-1c62c4041b9b&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzVkQ1UkFaNzVVSkMyJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTYwOTA4MVYwN1Y1V05GOVdSNiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNzA2NjY4MzVJSVAzS1g1REE2VSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2RldGFpbF90aGVtYXRpYyZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

I just want to find out if the mobile dongle is going to work in the same way as a normal router will, ideally I'd like to be able to add a switch as the unit the camera's connect to needs to be wired in but I think that is just for remote monitoring not camera footage transmission so the switch is a bonus just to keep it all running nicely.

anyone got any ideas? the mobile dongle is this: https://consumer.huawei.com/ie/routers/e5573c/

I'd use a WiFi to Ethernet bridge device of some kind and a separate router.  Even if that Huawei hotspot CAN route traffic to and from multiple cameras, it isn't going to hold up well moving the amount of data you're going to be trying to move between the cameras and the DVR.  Get your internet connection to a separate router and let that router do the work.  This will give you the added benefit of being able to extend the network in any way you'd like rather than relying on a single 150mbps wifi chipset for everything.

So if the cameras need an internet connection then you can have the Huawei puck set up for wifi, get the laptop on that wifi, and then share the internet conection to the RJ45 interface to go to a cheap router (connect the laptop to the WAN side) with all the cameras tied to it (LAN side). If they do not need an internet connection then just get a cheap router on amazon and have everything on the LAN side.

If you need a more robust solution with everything on the lan side of the router  and an internet connection. I would recommend a Cisco Meraki MX64. it costs a bit but you can plug your "puck" directly into it and just plug everything else in as normal.

7 minutes ago, B1ueskycomp1ex said:

I'd use a WiFi to Ethernet bridge device of some kind and a separate router.  Even if that Huawei hotspot CAN route traffic to and from multiple cameras, it isn't going to hold up well moving the amount of data you're going to be trying to move between the cameras and the DVR.  Get your internet connection to a separate router and let that router do the work.  This will give you the added benefit of being able to extend the network in any way you'd like rather than relying on a single 150mbps wifi chipset for everything.

that is not a bad idea, just get a regular router then to avoid the whole hassle, do have a bridge to recommend, theres a few wifi extenders that have an ethernet port but not sure they would work as there is no way to connect them to the mobile hub, I also found this while googling: https://www.connectify.me/blog/share-internet-connection/wifi-to-ethernet-adapter-laptop/ would might make things easier, just use that and a switch to share ethernet, range isn't a huge concern as the box the cameras connect to handles that transmission it's self

27 minutes ago, Yatys 93 said:

she has asked me to help her sort her office out in the stables of the riding school.

uh huh... 

1 minute ago, Yatys 93 said:

always somebody lol

Is she at least paying you for all this? Or having you clock the hours on your regular job?

3 minutes ago, CWALD said:

So if the cameras need an internet connection then you can have the Huawei puck set up for wifi, get the laptop on that wifi, and then share the internet conection to the RJ45 interface to go to a cheap router (connect the laptop to the WAN side) with all the cameras tied to it (LAN side). If they do not need an internet connection then just get a cheap router on amazon and have everything on the LAN side.

If you need a more robust solution with everything on the lan side of the router  and an internet connection. I would recommend a Cisco Meraki MX64. it costs a bit but you can plug your "puck" directly into it and just plug everything else in as normal.

ya that might be a good idea, there is no wired out at all on the puck, just a micro usb for power and that is it, but the laptop to a router could be a good option, as I said above I pretty sure the box that comes with the camera handles the wifi to the cameras so just need a way to connect that to the network, but I think that is just for remote access anyway

Just now, CWALD said:

Is she at least paying you for all this? Or having you clock the hours on your regular job?

I volunteer there 2 days a week to get out the house during lockdown after my 2 year trip with my girlfriend in Australia turned into her saying she doesn't like me any more 5 weeks into the trip and kicking me out of her brothers house just as the lockdown started over there so while I have no job and waiting for interviews to work I pass the time there, but she is paying me for the IT work

ya that might be a good idea, there is no wired out at all on the puck, just a micro usb for power and that is it, but the laptop to a router could be a good option, as I said above I pretty sure the box that comes with the camera handles the wifi to the cameras so just need a way to connect that to the network, but I think that is just for remote access anyway

Yea that sounds easy then, just set up a point to point over the RJ45 and share the internet connection from the Wi-Fi interface.

Something as basic as this can connect wirelessly to the dongle and give you an Ethernet connection at a router.  I'd start there and then build off the router, that way the Huawei is only having to deliver internet traffic to and from the router, and the router will do the rest of your networking from there.

31 minutes ago, Yatys 93 said:

anyone got any ideas? the mobile dongle is this: https://consumer.huawei.com/ie/routers/e5573c/

Some of those do act as routers, but MAY be set up to not allow comms between connected clients, which would scupper your plans. The suggested option of using a WiFi bridge would be my option for the lowest cost (TP-Link or Tenda, both support client mode on pretty much all their APs with switches in).

Honestly though, for CCTV, wired is best if you can possibly do it. With wireless, anyone can wander close by and knock out your cameras with something cheapo like this:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000071077606.html

I volunteer there 2 days a week to get out the house during lockdown after my 2 year trip with my girlfriend in Australia turned into her saying she doesn't like me any more 5 weeks into the trip and kicking me out of her brothers house just as the lockdown started over there so while I have no job and waiting for interviews to work I pass the time there, but she is paying me for the IT work

Sucks, at least you get some extra cash. Best of luck.

Just now, TehDwonz said:

Some of those do act as routers, but MAY be set up to not allow comms between connected clients, which would scupper your plans. The suggested option of using a WiFi bridge would be my option for the lowest cost (TP-Link or Tenda, both support client mode on pretty much all their APs with switches in).

Honestly though, for CCTV, wired is best if you can possibly do it. With wireless, anyone can wander close by and knock out your cameras with something cheapo like this:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000071077606.html

ya I will ask about wired cameras I didn't really think of that, although this is more to film the arena in case someone gets hurt so will see what she says, POE camera's would be so much easier to sort out getting power to them too

2 minutes ago, CWALD said:

Sucks, at least you get some extra cash. Best of luck.

thank you, just to check, with the forwarding the connection from the laptop, I don't need any additional software just plug into the wan port?

3 minutes ago, Yatys 93 said:

ya I will ask about wired cameras I didn't really think of that, although this is more to film the arena in case someone gets hurt so will see what she says, POE camera's would be so much easier to sort out getting power to them too

Ok, if it's purely for use during working hours, then one of the bundled DVR+Cameras deals is probably the best bet. Costco often has some bargains on those, if you are near one/have membership.

Actually, thought of a snag to wired - if it's stables, and some are external cameras, you'd have to faff with lightning protection etc... wireless might well be best in this case afterall 👍

Just now, Yatys 93 said:

thank you, just to check, with the forwarding the connection from the laptop, I don't need any additional software just plug into the wan port?

yup, so just connect to the pucks wifi from the laptop like normal. Then go to the sharing tab in the adapter properties and enable it.

Finally, set up a point to point connection with your camera system. Because there is no router in that point to point connection you will need to set a static IP on the Ethernet ports for both the laptop and the camera hub. These IPs need to be different but in the same subnet such as 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2.

1 minute ago, CWALD said:

yup, so just connect to the pucks wifi from the laptop like normal. Then go to the sharing tab in the adapter properties and enable it.

Finally, set up a point to point connection with your camera system. Because there is no router in that point to point connection you will need to set a static IP on the Ethernet ports for both the laptop and the camera hub. These IPs need to be different but in the same subnet such as 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2.

awesome, I can do hardware but networking isn't something I've played with outside of an 8 port switch and my desk lol, speaking of, would a switch be a good addition for any future expension? or would it just complicate things

4 minutes ago, TehDwonz said:

Ok, if it's purely for use during working hours, then one of the bundled DVR+Cameras deals is probably the best bet. Costco often has some bargains on those, if you are near one/have membership.

Actually, thought of a snag to wired - if it's stables, and some are external cameras, you'd have to faff with lightning protection etc... wireless might well be best in this case afterall 👍

I mean obviously if someone manages to steal a horse out of its stable at night they want the cameras to help too, but its a riding school and they aren't fancy expensive horses :P

awesome, I can do hardware but networking isn't something I've played with outside of an 8 port switch and my desk lol, speaking of, would a switch be a good addition for any future expension? or would it just complicate things

If you have more then two devices in a network then you need something to tell what is talking to what, which is where the router comes in. the router expects the internet to be provided on the wan side, so you would remove the static IP from the camera hub and add it to the WAN port on the router, then plug the computer into the WAN side and everything else on the LAN side. you may need to set up the camera hub to be accessible from the web at that point because the computer will techniqly be on a different network from everything else.

If you have more then two devices in a network then you need something to tell what is talking to what, which is where the router comes in. the router expects the internet to be provided on the wan side, so you would remove the static IP from the camera hub and add it to the WAN port on the router, then plug the computer into the WAN side and everything else on the LAN side. you may need to set up the camera hub to be accessible from the web at that point because the computer will techniqly be on a different network from everything else.

awesome thank you, I will see what she wants to do budget wise then and go from there, your all awesome!

awesome thank you, I will see what she wants to do budget wise then and go from there, your all awesome!

np, if your able to use the puck in a tethered mode so that it shares the internet through the usb port then the cisco meraki mx64 will make life way easier. I got two of them for the hospital I work at in case we need to set up remote triage centers for covid.

Good luck!

np, if your able to use the puck in a tethered mode so that it shares the internet through the usb port then the cisco meraki mx64 will make life way easier. I got two of them for the hospital I work at in case we need to set up remote triage centers for covid.

Good luck!

I have one next to me so I shall play around and see what settings it has, but I didn't see much in the way of options for that while I was resetting them earlier today

3 minutes ago, CWALD said:

cisco meraki mx64

I don't suppose there is a more basic cheaper version lol I don't think she will even be using this connection for mobiles on the yard so will be for less than 5 devices

6 minutes ago, Yatys 93 said:

I don't suppose there is a more basic cheaper version lol I don't think she will even be using this connection for mobiles on the yard so will be for less than 5 devices

The wifi to Ethernet bridge mentioned before would be your next best bet. Just plug that into the WAN side of a cheap home router and be done. I would be surprised if you spent $50 on both the bridge and router that way and it should still be plug and play.