Laptop: stuck in a boot loop

SleepingGiant

What i wanted to do: reset/clean windows for a fresh start

What happened: windows promoted a "something went wrong" message while waiting for it to finish

Now it's stuck in a boot loop. It will show the laptop logo/brand then a black screen then repeat

It seems windows has been corrupted or something.

I don't want to use a flash drive to format it. I don't want to lose the windows license

Is there a way to retrieve the license?

Any hope in restoring it without a full format?

If its a laptop the license is tied to the machine and stored in the UEFI. Just reinstall the OS and it will pull the license automatically and activate for you.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

21 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

If its a laptop the license is tied to the machine and stored in the UEFI. Just reinstall the OS and it will pull the license automatically and activate for you.

Ow that's awesome then

Now i just need to know how to reinstall windows. I only know how to format. Formating and install is the same thing as reinstalling?

7 minutes ago, SleepingGiant said:

Ow that's awesome then

Now i just need to know hoe to reinstall windows. I only know how to format. Formating and install is the same thing as reinstalling?

Correct.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

Correct.

Ow ok

Now this are the steps i have taken so far:

Search for windows 10 iso

Make a bootable flash drive using the iso

I'm just really being careful as to not lose the license

6 minutes ago, SleepingGiant said:

Ow ok

Now this are the steps i have taken so far:

Search for windows 10 iso

Make a bootable flash drive using the iso

I'm just really being careful as to not lose the license

Download Microsofts Media Creation Tool and use that to create the USB.

Also while running through setup, if you're asked to enter a CD Key stop and reboot, do not continue. You'll know if it has pulled your key from UEFI since it will not ask you to provide it.

2 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Also while running through setup, if you're asked to enter a CD Key stop and reboot, do not continue. You'll know if it has pulled your key from UEFI since it will not ask you to provide it.

This is the thing that I'm concerned about

It should put automatically correct?

Are there any other alternatives in the unlikely event of this happening?

4 minutes ago, SleepingGiant said:

This is the thing that I'm concerned about

It should put automatically correct?

Are there any other alternatives in the unlikely event of this happening?

Its pretty simple. Boot from the USB and head through setup, after clicking install Windows you will either be asked to input a key or not. If you are asked then just reboot the computer and you won't lose anything, if it skips past key input and goes straight to partitioning then its found your key and you can proceed.

Assuming the laptop came preinstalled with either 8/8.1 or 10 it will have the key stored in UEFI.

Lastly I recommend you don't use an ISO you downloaded since its possible to modify it to skip key entry. Create the installer using the Media Creation Tool to be 100% sure its untouched.

22 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Lastly I recommend you don't use an ISO you downloaded since its possible to modify it to skip key entry. Create the installer using the Media Creation Tool to be 100% sure its untouched.

I used the windows 10 media creation tool. I just searched windows 10 media and found microsoft web site on creating my own bootable flash drive

Was that the correct process?

18 minutes ago, SleepingGiant said:

I used the windows 10 media creation tool. I just searched windows 10 media and found microsoft web site on creating my own bootable flash drive

Was that the correct process?

Yep, so just remember, if you're asked for a key stop and reboot, if not then you're good to continue.

5 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Yep, so just remember, if you're asked for a key stop and reboot, if not then you're good to continue.

I'm here now.

It's asking me to delete format mga drive.

I think the "asking for license" is later in the process

Should i delete format my drive?

Just now, SleepingGiant said:

I'm here now.

It's asking me to delete format mga drive.

I think the "asking for license" is later in the process

Should i delete format my drive?

Yes, you're good. It always asks for the key before the format screen.

Well, this is concerning

Here are some photos of the screen that i'm working on after booting to the bootable drive

Please don't judge my 32gb STORAGE notebook(i was a gift)

IMG_20200828_202344.thumb.jpg.2915a3c1693bdcda06b71d31c552121c.jpg

I landed on this screen. when i choose the first option the image below will be shown

IMG_20200828_202350.thumb.jpg.2858dbeb1e08f9082826227edbedd61b.jpg

Seems like i need to boot to windows in order to do this. *stuck in a boot loop intensifies*

IMG_20200828_202427.thumb.jpg.4aeb9b6d7452da35b61aadd90b8caa00.jpg

This is what i got in the second option

As you said above 

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

Yes, you're good. It always asks for the key before the format screen.

I am pretty sure the license key screen is later after formatting and installing windows