Microphone level auto-adjusts back to 100; no sound settings fix it

My USB microphone keeps resetting its level back to 100 no matter what I try. I've tried closing and disabling access to the microphone for every program I can think of, and no matter what I google, it keeps bringing me back to the 'solution' of unchecking the box that allows other applications to take control of the device. That has always been unchecked, and no matter what I do, it will ALWAYS reset back to 100. I have absolutely zero clue on what to do, and I wish Windows would include something that prevented that 'level' from rising no matter what.

I use Discord, and Steam, and I've disabled anything in the settings that would increase the gain/volume. With every program that could be affecting it, and every Windows feature that would be using it disabled, I still have this issue.

I'm ready to give up at this point, so I'm hoping somebody else here has had a similar problem that they found a workaround with. I have a Blue Yeti, so I even tried to physically reduce the gain with the knob on the back of it, but it's still obnoxiously loud whenever I play games with friends. 

CPU: Intel i7-7700K @ 4.8GHz || GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW 3 || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 (Dual Fan) || RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB (2x8) 3200MHZ || MotherboardAsus STRIX Z270-E GAMING || Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 Titanium (Windowless) || Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, 850 EVO 1TB, Crucial MX300 1.1TB, Seagate- Barracuda 2TB || PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750W

Its when you are launching the games, Certain games like CSGO have a Volume option to turn it to 100% as the game launches.

go to your GO folder for example: x:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\csgo\cfg\config.cfg and search for voice_mixer_volume in that file, set it to your standard mic volume and make the config read only, but remember to set anything else beforehand cause of the read only. ;)

Do this for all your games on steam that cause the issue :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have the exact same issue. I've got an Audio Technica AT-2020 USB microphone and whenever I get into a softphone call or a teams call, it slowly raises the volume level of my mic to 100%. This is a very sensitive mic and I don't want it over about 70% because of that. I can't find anything online as to why this happens or how to fix it. Any help would be appreciated.image.png.fd6d101b9f62ef4f009f67d78885c431.png

8 minutes ago, Vascro said:

Hi, I have the exact same issue. I've got an Audio Technica AT-2020 USB microphone and whenever I get into a softphone call or a teams call, it slowly raises the volume level of my mic to 100%. This is a very sensitive mic and I don't want it over about 70% because of that. I can't find anything online as to why this happens or how to fix it. Any help would be appreciated.image.png.fd6d101b9f62ef4f009f67d78885c431.png

I should note, it doesn't adjust when I record via audacity.