Changing SSD drive

alxne

I've never done it before, I bought a new computer but I want to do change from 500gb to 1tb ssd drive. I found it on the back of my computer, I was hoping I could just unplug the two inputs and replace the new one in the same place. Is this what I do?

I notice it is mounted onto a plate, but can't see how from this. Any idea what I have to do? Do I have to remove the whole thing it appears to be mounted onto?

ssd.thumb.jpg.eb7a0a58abbc9abff87dd8662822b39e.jpg

5 minutes ago, alxne said:

I want to do change from 500gb to 1tb ssd drive. I found it on the back of my computer, I was hoping I could just unplug the two inputs and replace the new one in the same place. Is this what I do?

Yes, just unplug the old drive and you can plug in a new drive.

Alternatively, you can buy another SATA cable to run to your motherboard and keep using this 500GB as a secondary drive (after formatting it).

5 minutes ago, alxne said:

I notice it is mounted onto a plate, but can't see how from this. Any idea what I have to do? Do I have to remove the whole thing it appears to be mounted onto?

Unplug the drive, Unscrew the big screw at the top and that will reveal 4 more screws (at the other side of the SSD)

image.png.a191ed95ce2a3f98700e4a86e288ed05.png

Are you going to reinstall Windows?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

@minibois is correct just be aware that you will have to reinstall your OS and programs. alternatively you can install the new drive on the plate next to the old drive and use it as a secondary drive. this way you will keep all your data as is and your new drive should just show up (you might have to format it before use though.

Good luck!

It's my storage drive, Windows is on a 500gb M.2 drive. Is there just one screw for that plate? Once I've done what @minibois said do I just power the computer on and it will work?

I'd rather not mess around with more cables to be honest, I usually break things when I start doing things like that 😅 One larger ssd will be enough anyway together with my M.2.

2 minutes ago, alxne said:

It's my storage drive, Windows is on a 500gb M.2 drive. Is there just one screw for that plate? Once I've done what @minibois said do I just power the computer on and it will work?

I'd rather not mess around with more cables to be honest, I usually break things when I start doing things like that 😅 One larger ssd will be enough anyway together with my M.2.

One screw for the plate, four screws for the SSD (on the underside).

Just gotta plug it in then.

Next go into 'Disk Management' in Windows and right click > new simple volume and choose a letter for the drive.

That's it.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I’ve been reading about grounding myself etc before touching things inside the case what would you suggest for changing the ssd? I’ve got the new drive now but not done anything yet

I also read to leave the psu plug in turned off but I need to remove the plug to get the case out of where it’s stored