How much static pressure for pvc dust filters?

PeterX7

i have a pvc dust filter at the top of my case (thermaltake versa 22) and i am currently running a very old coolermaster silent fan (si1) and it is very loud so i would like to replace it.

I am looking at the noctua nf s12a pwm however i am not sure that its pressure is okay againt a pvc dust filter(like the one you can grab for 2-3$ at aliexpeess). Do i need more pressure? Should i consider a noctua f12 or silent wings 3?

Dont get too caught up in pressure or other marketing things for fans. Just pick nice ones you can afford and adjust their speed afterward.

Keeping in mind that a lot of fan marketing tactics rely on the user caring about noise levels. When it comes down to it if a fan can move the same cfm as another fan under the same conditions then the fans are the same ignoring noise levels , so just pick fans that you like.

2 hours ago, PeterX7 said:

i have a pvc dust filter at the top of my case (thermaltake versa 22) and i am currently running a very old coolermaster silent fan (si1) and it is very loud so i would like to replace it.

I am looking at the noctua nf s12a pwm however i am not sure that its pressure is okay againt a pvc dust filter(like the one you can grab for 2-3$ at aliexpeess). Do i need more pressure? Should i consider a noctua f12 or silent wings 3?

So you're assuming the F12 or the Silent Wing 3 has better static pressure than the S12A at the same noise level?

8 hours ago, Deli said:

So you're assuming the F12 or the Silent Wing 3 has better static pressure than the S12A at the same noise level?

yes, or at just a few db more.

I forget to mention in my post that noise is a thing, so the lowest noise would be the winner.

2 minutes ago, PeterX7 said:

yes, or at just a few db more.

I forget to mention in my post that noise is a thing, so the lowest noise would be the winner.

At the same noise level. The S12A has both better airflow and static pressure than the F12 and Silent Wing 3.

11 hours ago, Deli said:

At the same noise level. The S12A has both better airflow and static pressure than the F12 and Silent Wing 3.

thank you, i think i decided on the s12a.

On 8/23/2020 at 8:43 AM, PeterX7 said:

I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding but you wrote that you have a dust filter at the top of your case? You shouldn't need a dust filter for an extractor fan; you don't really want to keep dust inside your computer? The idea is to protect your computer components from the dust outside the case?

As for the fan comparison, here are some figures:

The 120mm Silent Wings 3, moves 2.89 cfm per dB(A) at 1.79 mm H20

The NF-A12x25, moves 2.66 cfm per dB(A) at 2.34 mm H20

The NF-S12A, moves 3.55 cfm per dB(A) at 0.73 mm H₂O

The cfm & m3/h values on the bequiet.com page for the 120mm Silent Wings 3 don't match so I went with the m3/h value (47.36285 cfm) for the calculation (not erring in Be Quiet's favour).

Personally, as a 120mm extractor, I use the Blacknoise NB-Multiframe M12-1 (4.27 cfm/dB(A) at 0.39 mmH20). I recommend pulling the dust filter off of or out of the top of your case and using one of those...

...also, if you positively charge your case positive air pressure it'll keep the dust in your intake filters and out of your P.C.  

On 8/23/2020 at 9:03 AM, emosun said:

Dont get too caught up in pressure or other marketing things for fans. Just pick nice ones you can afford and adjust their speed afterward.

Keeping in mind that a lot of fan marketing tactics rely on the user caring about noise levels. When it comes down to it if a fan can move the same cfm as another fan under the same conditions then the fans are the same ignoring noise levels , so just pick fans that you like.

For me noise is absolutely paramount. I select my fans by calculating CFM per dB(A) as a measure of efficiency.

Personally I don't think it's just marketing when it comes to fan noise, I think it's the absolute crux of the matter.

I'd say that what a fan looks like is far more to do with marketing than its performance characteristics?

Edit: That having been said:

I actually came here to ask more or less the exact same question. I'm wondering what the minimum necessary static pressure is for an intake fan with a mesh dust filter. 

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

I’m on the other side of the spectrum, I could care less about fan noise. I’ve been running the same 120x38s since 2005, and they still blow away almost all popular fan choices in the forums. And they aren’t really that loud until you juice them up. They have all the flow, all the static pressure. Get industrials, they will make you happy.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

17 minutes ago, freeagent said:

I’m on the other side of the spectrum, I could care less about fan noise. I’ve been running the same 120x38s since 2005, and they still blow away almost all popular fan choices in the forums. And they aren’t really that loud until you juice them up. They have all the flow, all the static pressure. Get industrials, they will make you happy.

I've got some old school Sanyo Denki's and some non-industrial fans that match the Sanyo Denki performance profile, just without their top end...I only just pulled them and the silence is golden. I recommend giving it a try. I've got some of the super high-industry metal frame Sanyo Denki's too and they're pretty cool but they tick. Currently I'm trying for the lowest noise I can possibly get without compromising my maximum potential overclock.

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

51 minutes ago, GuruMeditationError said:

I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding but you wrote that you have a dust filter at the top of your case? You shouldn't need a dust filter for an extractor fan; you don't really want to keep dust inside your computer? The idea is to protect your computer components from the dust outside the case?

As for the fan comparison, here are some figures:

The 120mm Silent Wings 3, moves 2.89 cfm per dB(A) at 1.79 mm H20

The NF-A12x25, moves 2.66 cfm per dB(A) at 2.34 mm H20

The NF-S12A, moves 3.55 cfm per dB(A) at 0.73 mm H₂O

The cfm & m3/h values on the bequiet.com page for the 120mm Silent Wings 3 don't match so I went with the m3/h value (47.36285 cfm) for the calculation (not erring in Be Quiet's favour).

For me noise is absolutely paramount. I select my fans by calculating CFM per dB(A) as a measure of efficiency.

Personally I don't think it's just marketing when it comes to fan noise, I think it's the absolute crux of the matter.

I'd say that what a fan looks like is far more to do with marketing than its performance characteristics?

Edit: That having been said:

I actually came here to ask more or less the exact same question. I'm wondering what the minimum necessary static pressure is for an intake fan with a mesh dust filter. 

I have a dust filter on it since it came with it i just installed the fans but i thought i should stop circulating dust since i live in a place where i have to clean my pc every week.

The case has total of 5 fan slots for 3 at the front, 2 slot at the top, and 1 rear. What would you recommend in this case? 

53 minutes ago, PeterX7 said:

I have a dust filter on it since it came with it i just installed the fans but i thought i should stop circulating dust since i live in a place where i have to clean my pc every week.

The case has total of 5 fan slots for 3 at the front, 2 slot at the top, and 1 rear. What would you recommend in this case? 

I know what you mean: I live with a hoarder and this place is just thick with dust.

I have my PC's elevated on IKEA wood-frame shelving. Dust is generally heavier than air and tends to fall to the ground or low surfaces, so if you can elevate your P.C. it'll help to keep it free of dust.

I'd recommend creating positive air pressure, which basically means blowing more air into the case than is being extracted from it. If you have more extractor fans than intake fans (or stronger extractor fans than intake fans) then the fans will pull air in through all of the little cracks and gaps in the case and will suck dust in through those cracks at the same time.
       What you really want is all of the air that's going in your PC case to be going into it through a filter, so make sure the fans on the front of the case are your main and most powerful fans. Use the rear and top fan just to help guide the airflow back out of the case.

As for the top air filter. I think they might have added that for aesthetic reasons. It doesn't really make sense to have it since you don't want to trap dust in the case, you want to keep dust out of the case. If whatever dust might have got through the filters is blown out again then so much the better.

Personally I pull the hard drive caddies and hard drive mounts, cages etc. out of my P.C. cases as soon as I get them out of the box because I don't use them and they just get in the way. I've always heard that if you have hard drives in the hard drive cages then you should opt for higher pressure fans but Slick made a video showing that air flow through a case should happen either way, whether the case is full of junk or virtually empty.

Where radiators are concerned, as far as I know it's a different story: For those I believe it's better to have higher static-pressure fans. The thicker the radiators and the denser the grilles the higher the pressure you need, but as I understand it, these days most modern radiators have quite a low fin density, so the types of fans that the AIO manufacturers sell with their AIO's are generally more or less what you need. Personally I use aftermarket fans for my radiators but each to their own.

Instead of messing with airflow, and filters, and trying to figure out a budget to make it all work.. buy yourself a data vac. I agree with getting the pc off the floor, but not too high, because the cooler air lingers lower.. I have mine on an end table, put it on the floor if you want to use it as a vacuum.. 

https://metrovac.com/products/datavac-electric-duster?variant=18877237067849

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

Thank you all for your help, my final question is that should i put an intake fan next to an exhaust fan at the top? (Since the one of the top two fan slots is actually very close to the front intake fans)

1 hour ago, PeterX7 said:

Thank you all for your help, my final question is that should i put an intake fan next to an exhaust fan at the top? (Since the one of the top two fan slots is actually very close to the front intake fans)

I'd say no. It would be working against natural convection and might also disrupt airflow through the case. Also could suck hot air back into the case from the extractor fan next to it.

Also I'd only put one fan in the top of the case, in the rear fan-mount/aperture, so that you can get the airflow to pass over the components, and not bypass them.

When there's room for two fans at the top of the case its generally there for an AIO radiator.

On 8/24/2020 at 3:07 PM, GuruMeditationError said:

For me noise is absolutely paramount

Ok but youre not the op and wasnt responding to you so idc

On 8/25/2020 at 10:39 PM, emosun said:

Ok but youre not the op and wasnt responding to you so idc

Thanks for responding.

It's for everyone reading the thread looking for advice, not just for you.

Flashing coloured lights, stylization etc. are the marketing gimmicks, not actual engineered performance characteristics; just pointing out that you've got it kind of backwards.

Fans can favour style over function, or function over style, or they can balance the two. Personally I recommend paying attention to the performance specifications or you could end up with a system that sounds terrible. If that's something you don't care about then for you I guess it's a non issue.

1 hour ago, GuruMeditationError said:

If that's something you don't care about then for you I guess it's a non issue.

9b3.png

2 hours ago, emosun said:

9b3.png

Again, it's not just for you, it's for everyone that's reading this thread.