Memory not reaching 3200MHz

I have recently upgraded my system to Ryzen 3600, B450 Steel Legend, Corsair Vengeance 3200Mhz. It boots to windows fine. I went into the bios and enabled 3200MHz, and it failed to boot, instead beeping three times and restarting a few times. I've checked HWinfo and it says it's running at 2132MHz. I've not yet updated the bios - I don't know if I have the most up to date one, the Asrock website is not easy to look through. I'm also not very familiar with the Asrock bios (my last one was ASUS)

I bought my CPU second hand (yes, that was probably kinda dumb), and it may have got damaged in transit as when I received it, a few of the pins were bent. I managed to bend them back very gently so that it would mount in the socket correctly. Could this be causing the memory issue? 

I'm also not quite sure if I have enough mounting pressure - I didn't know how tight to do the cooler - it's an Arctic Freezer 34 Duo. 

Any help appreciated! 

2 minutes ago, rosebrambles said:

I went into the bios and enabled 3200MHz, and it failed to boot, instead beeping three times and restarting a few times. 

How did you turn up the memory to 3200Mhz, through XMP or manually?

3 minutes ago, rosebrambles said:

I've not yet updated the bios - I don't know if I have the most up to date one, the Asrock website is not easy to look through. I'm also not very familiar with the Asrock bios

Install CPU-Z, go to the Mainboard tab and check the BIOS version there. 3.40 seems to be the newest version: https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450 Steel Legend/#BIOS

5 minutes ago, rosebrambles said:

I bought my CPU second hand (yes, that was probably kinda dumb), and it may have got damaged in transit as when I received it, a few of the pins were bent. I managed to bend them back very gently so that it would mount in the socket correctly. Could this be causing the memory issue?

In theory? Yes. Some pins on the CPU are connected to the memory and thus having some faulty pin(s) relevant to the memory could cause issues.

But if the pins didn't seem to have damage, it should be fine.

6 minutes ago, rosebrambles said:

I'm also not quite sure if I have enough mounting pressure - I didn't know how tight to do the cooler - it's an Arctic Freezer 34 Duo. 

If the cooler seems to be installed properly and it doesn't shimmy around (too much) anymore, it's fine.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Did you enable XMP/DOCP, or did you just try to brute force set the clock to 3200Mh?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

Thanks, I think I may have set it incorrectly. I will see if I can enable XMP. Looks like BIOS is the most up to date :) 

Tried again, have set the XMP profile and it's still not working. Could it be the RAM? That was brand new but I guess I could have been given some duff sticks. I don't have any other DDR4 to try it out with though. It's 32gb, 16gbx2 running in dual channel (have checked). They are both identifying in Hwinfo as cmw32gx4m2c3200c16. 

hmm found this reddit post, one of the answers mentions AMD optimised memory. Is this a thing? I thought it was all the same. https://www.reddit.com/r/gigabyte/comments/ga4mcj/memory_problems_with_aorus_elite/

Also the RAM I have doesn't show on this list: https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/B450 Steel Legend/index.asp#MemoryMS Should I return my ram and get different RAM?