NAS transfer protocol? Advice on software to use?

Jenko32

I have a NAS with 1gbps capability and usually transfer files at 90mb/s dropping to 70mb/s sometimes, my guess it's because it's the cheapest thing it exist TerraMaster F2-210 (Quad Core Realtek CPU), some other times because of the encryption (.rar) maybe. Anyway, I usually use the SMB protocol and the windows interface to transfer. But software like FileZilla allow me to see the reason the upload/download stopped and doesn't crash the entire system if something goes wrong. Do you know any program that might facilitate my life? What do you use if you are transferring batches of files?

mb or MB? 1Gbit only goes up to 125MB/s, 70~90MB/s isn't all that bad for gigabit. If you're transferring tons of tiny files there's not a lot you can do about it. If these are the speeds you see with large files like videos or music then something else is probably wrong here.

SMB is basically the official Windows protocol for local file transfers. NFS is technically an option an is a feature available on Windows but personally I've never gotten it working. Then there's SSH/SFTP. This is usually much slower though. Older techs like FTP or TFTP exist but I don't recommend them for security reasons.

I use OneCOmmander for my transfers, but I've never seen any transfer speed difference based on programs. 
What router do you have?

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

22 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

mb or MB? 1Gbit only goes up to 125MB/s, 70~90MB/s isn't all that bad for gigabit. If you're transferring tons of tiny files there's not a lot you can do about it. If these are the speeds you see with large files like videos or music then something else is probably wrong here.

SMB is basically the official Windows protocol for local file transfers. NFS is technically an option an is a feature available on Windows but personally I've never gotten it working. Then there's SSH/SFTP. This is usually much slower though. Older techs like FTP or TFTP exist but I don't recommend them for security reasons.

70~90 Megabyte per second/560~720Mbit per second. I think I'm sticking to writing the entire phrase instead of abbreviating the unit from now on, I always see misunderstandings around because of writing mistakes. I'll either stick with windows or browse around for program which might deliver more functionality 

8 minutes ago, OddOod said:

I use OneCOmmander for my transfers, but I've never seen any transfer speed difference based on programs. 
What router do you have?

I'll check out the program you suggested.

The router is a G-240W-B, its Alcatel Nokia Huawei, it got all the functionality but it doesn't excel at anything. It can do 115 Megabyte per second (MB/s) between two Windows machines, so at least I know it's not its fault for the full gigabit with the NAS. (I tested with the same file and no other machine were on the network)

It's a router that got discontinued the same period it lunched, it existed only to force people to buy the included router from the ISP, since it got GPON and at the start of 1 Gigabit per second (gbps) arriving at people houses it was able to bypass the law about the freedom of choice about the router so they could charge a lot for it, making it seems a deal because the installation was free. Now it's changed and you can request the technicians to mount it with a GPON to RJ45 converter so later you can change the router or not buy it at all

29 minutes ago, Jenko32 said:

115 Megabyte per second (MB/s) between two Windows machines

that's not fucking bad. Yeah, I'd guess that your NAS processor is sandbagging you here. 

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup