WTF is I scuzzy?

Matt_TPrice

Linus mentioned in his last video where he reviewed the lian li case that he used a nas with I Scuzzy to run his games?

Could someone please explain how this works.

Shove your "cinematic experience" where the sun don't shine!

iSCSI

In computing, iSCSI (11px-Speakerlink-new.svg.pngi/ˈskʌzi/ eye-skuz-ee), is an acronym for Internet Small Computer System Interface, an Internet Protocol (IP)-based storage networking standard for linking data storage facilities.

By carrying SCSI commands over IP networks, iSCSI is used to facilitate data transfers over intranets and to manage storage over long distances. iSCSI can be used to transmit data over local area networks (LANs), wide area networks (WANs), or the Internet and can enable location-independent data storage and retrieval.

The protocol allows clients (called initiators) to send SCSI commands (CDBs) to SCSI storage devices (targets) on remote servers. It is a storage area network (SAN) protocol, allowing organizations to consolidate storage into data center storage arrays while providing hosts (such as database and web servers) with the illusion of locally attached disks.[1]

Unlike traditional Fibre Channel, which requires special-purpose cabling, iSCSI can be run over long distances using existing network infrastructure.[2] iSCSI was pioneered by IBM and Cisco in 1998 and submitted as draft standard in March 2000.[3]

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISCSI

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

iSCSI

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISCSI

I came here to avoid wikipedia...................................................................................................................................................

I came here to avoid wikipedia...................................................................................................................................................

An ellipsis is only three periods. Putting many more than necessary is a bit overboard.

As for the issue at hand, from what I know, it's like a media server that you can access files on, but I am unsure on how to set it up or use it. 

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Linus mentioned in his last video where he reviewed the lian li case that he used a nas with I Scuzzy to run his games?

I don't know much about it, but I think it's a remote way for accessing servers. You can 'iSCSI' into a server and remotely manage it and do general shit, I dunno. Fairly sure it's something like that, but seriously Wikipedia is the best place to search for it's meaning.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

An ellipsis is only three periods. Putting many more than necessary is a bit overboard.

As for the issue at hand, from what I know, it's like a media server that you can access files on, but I am unsure on how to set it up or use it

I am definitely aware of the fact it is a way to transer data. I am just curious of how a game could be ran through that medium. I always thought you had to intstall it for it to work.

I don't know much about it, but I think it's a remote way for accessing servers. You can 'iSCSI' into a server and remotely manage it and do general shit, I dunno. Fairly sure it's something like that, but seriously Wikipedia is the best place to search for it's meaning.

I know what it is. I just want to know how a game could be ran through it.

"WTF is I scuzzy?"

WTF = What the f***

You asked what it was in the title of the topic, but I need to respect the fact that you knew.

So like have all your game files stored on the NAS and streamed to your PC like a hard drive? I wouldn't know. If Linus did it, I'm sure you could. As long as you have a decent wired network, you could try it out.

"WTF is I scuzzy?"

WTF = What the f***

You asked what it was in the title of the topic, but I need to respect the fact that you knew.

That's what I thought too.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

So like have all your game files stored on the NAS and streamed to your PC like a hard drive? I wouldn't know. If Linus did it, I'm sure you could. As long as you have a decent wired network, you could try it out.

That's what I thought too.

"WTF is I scuzzy?"

WTF = What the f***

You asked what it was in the title of the topic, but I need to respect the fact that you knew

Im sorry. I know how to use google and wikipedia. I used those options before coming here. I was just looking for more real world terms. I apologize, I should have specified.

Im sorry. I know how to use google and wikipedia. I used those options before coming here. I was just looking for more real world terms. I apologize, I should have specified.

No need to apologise. I simple misunderstanding ^_^

iSCSI is a rather advanced and complex networking tool.

No need to apologise. I simple misunderstanding ^_^

iSCSI is a rather advanced and complex networking tool.

Seems like a cool way to just have an ssd and still be able to do some gaming.

You can have Steams default installation path be on the ISCSI and execute the files from it in order to play your games. I guess Linus probably has quite a lot of games and cannot fit them on his hard drive. My Steam library takes up 636 GB of storage and that's 96 games.

You can have Steams default installation path be on the ISCSI and execute the files from it in order to play your games. I guess Linus probably has quite a lot of games and cannot fit them on his hard drive. My Steam library takes up 636 GB of storage and that's 96 games.

Thanks a lot man. Quite the library you have. Im guessing you use ISCSI too?

Thanks a lot man. Quite the library you have. Im guessing you use ISCSI too?

Nah, I'm so bad at networking and setting up Ftp's and the what-not xD I do have a relatively simple FTP for storing important files on an SSD connected to my router but my games are stored on my HDD and in order to save space I uninstall the ones I haven't been playing for awhile :)

iSCSI is just a method of access files across a network. Windows won't let you install a game(or a program) to a network share normally(using SMB/NFS or a standard protocol), but because how how iSCSI works windows thinks its a local hard drive and shows up as a local hard drive, even though it may be on a computer remotely.

This is a very common protocol for storage servers to use. 

CPU: i7 3770k @ 4.8Ghz Motherboard: Sabertooth Z77 RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance GPU: GTX 780 Case: Corsair 540 Air Storage: 2x Intel 520 SSD Raid 0 PSU: Corsair AX850 Display(s): 1x 27" Samsung Monitor 3x 24" Asus Monitors Cooling: Swifttech H220 Keyboard: Logitech 710+ Mouse: Logitech G500 Headphones: Sennheiser HD 558 --- Internet: http://linustechtips.com/main/uploads/gallery/album_1107/gallery_12431_1107_23677.png My Setup:  http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/image/7922-1-rkcf7io/ -- NAS: 3x WD Red 3TB Drives (RAIDZ-1), 5x 750gb Seagate ES HDD(RAIDZ-1), 120gb SSD for caching, OS: FreeNAS --  Server 1: Xeon E3 1275v2, 32GB of RAM, OS: ESXi 5.5 -- Server 2: Xeon E3 1220v2, 32GB of RAM, OS: ESXi 5.5

iSCSI has its uses and is very similar to what you would see with a mapped network drive. However by using iSCSI you gain some performance improvements over a mapped drive by reducing the layers you are going through to access the file path. There are many ways to do this some people use a NAS and utilize software iSCSI through windows. You can also do a hardware iSCSI connection which would allow you to see those targets on boot so you could technically install a OS to a iSCSI since your operating system will see it as a essentially a attached drive.

Beware there are downsides to ISCSI the one major disadvantage is that typically you do not want to mount an iSCSI target to multiple devices. The way it works is that when you use an ISCSI target the OS sees this is a drive however the protocol does not understand file locks therefore if more than one system was to access the same file on the target you could have corruption. If you are going to be using this for data that would be shared across multiple devices then you would want to use a share drive or some other format and not an ISCSI target. When you here people say they are using this for file sharing they are mounting the targets on a server then using the server to share the files through some other means of connections such as a windows file share or Samba.

Be sure not to confuse a SAS drive (SCSI) with iSCSI as one is a protocol and the other a type of drive. You do not have to have SCSI drives to use iSCSI.

Be sure not to confuse a SAS drive (SCSI) with iSCSI as one is a protocol and the other a type of drive. You do not have to have SCSI drives to use iSCSI.

So I have SAS Drives? 

So I have SAS Drives? 

Same thing but not the same as iSCSI.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/115704-an-introduction-to-san-and-storage-networking/

They have storage in a separate machine on their network that appears like a local disk on their chosen computer. That is what games are installed to.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking