Do you think applying liquid glass screen protector on a back of a plastic phone a good idea?

e22big

Been thinking about this project for a while, applying liquid glass (probably SiCo2) like the one used in this video on a plastic phone should give you both the scratch resistant of glass and durability of plastic. 

do you think it will work? one one hand, it seem like a simple technique that can greatly improve the durability of your phone, on the other hand it will just give you a glass surface that crack like any glass and also impossible to clean from plastic back which just make it a glass phone that crack even easier than a normal glass

if liquid glass work the same way as paint, having a thinner layer actually make it harder to damage but I don't know if that is the case

13 hours ago, huilun02 said:

I dont know if those 'liquid glass' screen protectors will be able to adhere to the phone's plastic back. They might be only formulated to stick to glass.

yeah that is my concern too but I think it will - liquid glass (assuming it'  SiCo2) have been used in car long before it has been used in phone and it can stick to steel or plastic surface just fine from what I heard

I just recently tried out the spigen liquid nano screen protector. In my opinion, although i didnt put it on the back of my phone, i dont think it would be very beneficial. When applied, it practically disappears when it dries and leaves the screen with the nice new slick/ smooth screen feeling and with less propensity to retain fingerprints. I frankly dont see how it would be possible to remove this layer if it gets scratched. So i doubt using it on the back of a phone would have any protective benefits. 

I used mine on a screen protector for my tablet which i have had on for almost 2 years. it was showing signs where the original coatings were wearing off. After the liquid protector, those spots were gone and the screen felt 'refreshed'. But only the very lightest of scratches disappeared with most still remaining. 

I hope this info helps

1 hour ago, Bananamcfly said:

I just recently tried out the spigen liquid nano screen protector. In my opinion, although i didnt put it on the back of my phone, i dont think it would be very beneficial. When applied, it practically disappears when it dries and leaves the screen with the nice new slick/ smooth screen feeling and with less propensity to retain fingerprints. I frankly dont see how it would be possible to remove this layer if it gets scratched. So i doubt using it on the back of a phone would have any protective benefits. 

I used mine on a screen protector for my tablet which i have had on for almost 2 years. it was showing signs where the original coatings were wearing off. After the liquid protector, those spots were gone and the screen felt 'refreshed'. But only the very lightest of scratches disappeared with most still remaining. 

I hope this info helps

does it scratch with metal contact though (coin/key) if not so that could still be an upgrade over a plastic screen (as even dust particle can scratch it at this point)

On 8/18/2020 at 1:28 PM, e22big said:

Been thinking about this project for a while, applying liquid glass (probably SiCo2) like the one used in this video on a plastic phone should give you both the scratch resistant of glass and durability of plastic. 

do you think it will work? one one hand, it seem like a simple technique that can greatly improve the durability of your phone, on the other hand it will just give you a glass surface that crack like any glass and also impossible to clean from plastic back which just make it a glass phone that crack even easier than a normal glass

if liquid glass work the same way as paint, having a thinner layer actually make it harder to damage but I don't know if that is the case

I used to sell the stuff when I was a tech for Best Buy. The guy who brought it in explained that it was only formulated to adhere to glass, as plastic or other materials have too many imperfections and it wouldn't bond correctly. I don't recall the exact brand, but it was basically snake oil and was garbage on glass anyway. But this was back in 2015 so perhaps they've improved since then. I bet it wouldn't hurt to try right? It's not like it'll damage anything, it's frickin' plastic. 

40 minutes ago, Stylized_Violence said:

I used to sell the stuff when I was a tech for Best Buy. The guy who brought it in explained that it was only formulated to adhere to glass, as plastic or other materials have too many imperfections and it wouldn't bond correctly. I don't recall the exact brand, but it was basically snake oil and was garbage on glass anyway. But this was back in 2015 so perhaps they've improved since then. I bet it wouldn't hurt to try right? It's not like it'll damage anything, it's frickin' plastic. 

well, there's a possibility that it will break just like glass and form a broken, unremovable layer over a plastic surface - but I think I have an idea now, will probably put a skin on a phone and then apply the liquid glass on top of the skin (the car-grade liquid glass sell for like 3 buck per bottle), if it break I can just remove the skin